Hopkinton chief pulls 3 officers' LTCs

Carrying on the badge is a perversion of a vague statute that deals with issuing equipment, it does not get you an LTC. It's basically a wink and a nod kind of thing.
No perversion involved. MGL C. 41 S. 98 states in part:

Section 98. The chief and other police officers of all cities and towns shall have all the powers and duties of constables except serving and executing civil process. They shall suppress and prevent all disturbances and disorder. They may carry within the commonwealth such weapons as the chief of police or the board or officer having control of the police in a city or town shall determine; provided, that any law enforcement officer of another state or territory of the United States may, while on official business within the commonwealth, carry such weapons as are authorized by his appointing authority.
ETA citation: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleVII/Chapter41/Section98

On duty or off duty for MA LEOs, if their chief authorizes his/her officers to carry a certain type of weapon they are GTG.

They can't buy anything on the badge legally in the state however, but they can possess anything within the category authorized by the chief (not just the gun that is issued).

Understand that this also means that a chief can revoke the authority to carry/possess a weapon on the badge if he/she decides to (like in the case of someone under suspension, under investigation, unable to work, etc.).

The cops who lost their LTC must not have had a good case if they chose to drop the case against the chief.

I presume that the chief was going to reveal all sorts of mental health issues if the case was to proceed.

I can't help but to wonder what the initial trauma was that caused all this. It must have been pretty bad.

If the cops proved themselves worthy of a LTC, would that have negated their disability claims? Were they on disability?

Maybe this was simply a financial choice to keep disability instead of losing it and getting their guns back.

"You are no longer deemed suitable as a result of post-traumatic stress related to injuries incurred while on duty,” the chief wrote to all three officers. “This is supported by medical reports.”

Ouch. Makes me wonder if the wording of their disability claim was particularly damning? Got me thinking maybe their lawyer phucked them...

That's behind a pay wall.
Worked for me. Maybe you already read your free articles for the month?

The cops who lost their LTC must not have had a good case if they chose to drop the case against the chief.

I presume that the chief was going to reveal all sorts of mental health issues if the case was to proceed.

I can't help but to wonder what the initial trauma was that caused all this. It must have been pretty bad.

If the cops proved themselves worthy of a LTC, would that have negated their disability claims? Were they on disability?

Maybe this was simply a financial choice to keep disability instead of losing it and getting their guns back.

The article mentions the town is working on a settlement. Frickin' infuriating.

Just more abuse of power. Nothing new among both parties, but the left seems to be excelling. Perhaps they're studying for the advanced placement exam in tyranny.

“The (suspensions) were without reasonable grounds, and the decision to deny by the defendant was arbitrary, capricious and an abuse of discretion,” Reagan wrote, “and constitutes a discrimination based on the fact that (their) duty-related (injuries) which is cited for the reason of suspension, occurred over a year and a half ago.”“The (suspensions) were without reasonable grounds, and the decision to deny by the defendant was arbitrary, capricious and an abuse of discretion,” Reagan wrote, “and constitutes a discrimination based on the fact that (their) duty-related (injuries) which is cited for the reason of suspension, occurred over a year and a half ago.”

Well if it occured over a year and a half ago, and they are now good to go, why are they still on "injured on duty" leave?

Want their cake and eat it too. Either your injuries are impacting your ability to work, and likewise carry guns, or they aren't. They are claiming mental health related injuries, not physical ones, right?

"The officers each filed appeals in February through Reagan, claiming the action violates their constitutional right to bear arms ..."

Well, it is, but that's only because the MA statutes themselves are the source of the violation, which I'm sure these very cops suing had no problem enforcing on others. Of course nobody likes when the rules are applied equally to them. Well, that's a shame.

"You are no longer deemed suitable as a result of post-traumatic stress related to injuries incurred while on duty,” the chief wrote to all three officers. “This is supported by medical reports.”

Ouch. Makes me wonder if the wording of their disability claim was particularly damning? Got me thinking maybe their lawyer phucked them...

Worked for me. Maybe you already read your free articles for the month?
Jesse?

This just keeps becoming more of a perfect example of how screwed up police forces are in general, both as terribly inept employers (people on payroll for years) and gun laws (apparent COP who can't fire subordinates, but wants to punish them in some way for milking system <- my assumption here).

I hope the cops were able to get their guns out of state rather than turning them in. As long as they are not prohibited persons, this is a perfectly legal way to comply with loss of right to possess when you lose your LTC.

The chief may not like it, but there's nothing he can do.

I hope the cops were able to get their guns out of state rather than turning them in. As long as they are not prohibited persons, this is a perfectly legal way to comply with loss of right to possess when you lose your LTC.

The chief may not like it, but there's nothing he can do.
The other option is to move to NH. No FID, no LTC, no worries! I have several rifles, shotguns and handguns along with ammunition buried in the wilds of Alabama.

For now.
NH is DANGEROUSLY close to becoming another MA based on SHN becoming a Boston suburb.

NH has had a Democrat governor from 2005 to 2017.

The legislature passed a whole package of terrible gun control bills this year.
Gov Sununu veto'd them.

Had there been a Dem Governor , NH gun owners would have been screwed.

Things are shifting. NH went for Hillary in 2016. Between SNH becoming a Boston Suburb and Plymouth state in central NH. Bad things are happening.

For now.
NH is DANGEROUSLY close to becoming another MA based on SHN becoming a Boston suburb.

Gov Sununu veto'd them.

Things are shifting. NH went for Hillary in 2016. Between SNH becoming a Boston Suburb and Plymouth state in central NH. Bad things are happening.

That's what you get when you let non-residents vote in your elections. Fastest way to put a break on this bullshit is to clean up the voter fraud.

For now.

Gov Sununu veto'd them.

They will "shift" in their minds as I don't see a majority of NH residents complying with anything those shitlords try to pass.

For now.

Gov Sununu veto'd them.

Rockingham county is the most reliably red county in NH. NH isnt turning blue because of MA refugees.

So are NH natives going moonbat?
I'd say a good amount of their problem is home grown yeah. Voter fraud is an issue but I dont know if its enough to make a difference. The average MA liberal would rather stick a fork in their own eye than move to NH. To them its just Alabama North.

Why are the details of the incident not made public? Are they subject to FOIA without redaction? Seems very curious that the reasoning hasn't been revealed.

And if the Chief was trying to retaliate why is he the one who is submitting the early retirement request?

Why are the details of the incident not made public? Are they subject to FOIA without redaction? Seems very curious that the reasoning hasn't been revealed.

And if the Chief was trying to retaliate why is he the one who is submitting the early retirement request?
The details are medical reports and therefore confidential.
I'm assuming disability pay is higher than retirement pay.

I think the chief is using their LTCs as leverage, I also think the officers are playing games with their claim to be unable to work. The Chief does cite medical reports for the suspension. Those same reports support their disability, you can't have it both ways.

I think the chief is using their LTCs as leverage, I also think the officers are playing games with their claim to be unable to work. The Chief does cite medical reports for the suspension. Those same reports support their disability, you can't have it both ways.

Well I am not asking for medical reports, but incident reports. If this is work related there should be 911 calls, dispatch recordings etc. to provide the scenario that led to whatever is in the medical reports.

I believe generally a full pension, if you work 32 to 35 yrs depending what yr you were hired, is 80% of your base average top 3 yrs, paying only fed taxes. With disability I believe you get 72% of your base tax free starting then. But I think you are very limited on what you can earn otherwise (which you should be). So depending on your life style, age, age you started, how much money you want to earn, I think you could either benefit financially from a disability retirement or be royally screwed.

" You are no longer deemed suitable as a result of post-traumatic stress related to injuries incurred while on duty,” ... “This is supported by medical reports.” Makes me wonder if the wording of their disability claim was particularly damning?

This is troubling bunch of BS. The doctors are following the current and anti-2A party line and the suspension of their LTC by all parties is particularly troubling. I've always understood PTSD is a normal reaction to extraordinary events. Put yourself in the three cops position right now, no right to protect yourself and your family against the felons you put away throughout your career.

Back
Top Bottom