1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Hope you don't need anything at Stop & Shop

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pete85, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Mr.E

Mr.E

Anyone see the Boston.com article showing the strikers calling out Ray Borque for crossing the picket line. Yeesh, way to make the kind feel like a jerk for getting groceries and posting it online.. now I want to cross it just for shits and giggles and then tell all of them that I gave each employee inside a cash tip for being so great.

tuna, xjma99 and Greg like this.

2. Greg

Greg

Wear a GoPro !

3. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

He was a union hockey player and said he didn't see the picket line. He is a POS.

millbilly likes this.
  4. Mr.E

Mr.E

Keep sipping that union kool aid.

Aaron[MA], babygorilla and slap shot like this.
  5. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

Don't belong to one, a union guy crossing a picket line is scum.

6. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

And when they almost went on strike years ago they received a bonus in the next check.

7. zboys

zboys NES Member

An employee not working and striking in front of the store is scum.
    Fire their lazy asses and hire real people who will appreciate the job without whining for more more more.

8. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

They are fighting a battle with a huge multi billion dollar company. Try finding help that will work for $12 an hour, the starting pay at S&S in this economy.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  9. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

10. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

You can bet on it.
    They get $15 average to run a register.

xjma99 likes this.
  11. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

The help wanted sign on the doors going in to the store says $12 an hour. Even @ $15 an hour help is scarce.

12. Path-Finder

Path-Finder

Lot of anti union hate on here. I get it, the culture bundling with the whole right wing pro gun thing, which I definitely would be ok with, I've never voted democrat in my life and never will. Except that I myself am in a union with a contract dispute going on right now. I don't agree with picketers yelling at customers or violence against management people that's just being an a**h***. It seems alot of people here are just mad because some people are out to get what they think they deserve which is fine they have a right to their opinion. However it's kind of like when some psycho shoots up a school and society blames ALL gun owners for what happened. Not all union members are scumbag criminals just because a few are.

millbilly likes this.
  13. xtry51

xtry51 NES Member

$12/hr for a starting grocery store job is insane. You're not worth that much at that point. The basic requirements are can read, press buttons and barely add. That's it.

The idea a checkout clerk or person cutting deli meats should be making $15/hr at the start is ludicrous. These are menial starting jobs to learn responsibility, NOT CAREERS.

14. Mr.E

Mr.E

See my post about 11 back..

falcon123 likes this.
  15. xtry51

xtry51 NES Member

Unions are bullshit herd mentality groups of people who dont want to base their work progression on their individual ability. I.e. merit based promotion and pay. They also in general have the worst productivity rates and hostile working environments due to entitlement complexes.

I work in manufacturing equipment and the union based shops are by far the least profitable by margin and hardest to make succesful with new equipment because of the insane compartmentalization and promotion based on tenure patterns they foster.

16. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

If you're worth good money, a company will pay you good money. Otherwise, you're expendable.

xjma99 and xtry51 like this.
  17. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

after being laid off a couple of years ago, i went to school to be a pharmacy tech. put in a couple of resumes at supermarket pharmacys (not s&s) for the hell of it and they started at 12.75/hr. one union and the other wasn't. yeah, i was shocked too. a major drug store chain where i interned offered me a part time job for the same money. i was coming off a job where i sat and monitored a computer screen, union, 8 hrs/day, for almost $30/hr. no justice in the world.

18. Path-Finder

Path-Finder

If you think that there's no progression based on your abilities in a union shop then you have never worked in a union shop. There's other benefits that can be attained without a raise or promotion based on seniority.

19. falcon123

falcon123 NES Member

Unions are dinosaurs. It's all about those union dues.

Christian and xjma99 like this.
  20. xtry51

xtry51 NES Member

I'm not saying you can't, I'm saying most don't. I see a lot of union shops. From the little 50 guy ones to the big names. They all suffer from the same problems. A majority of people sucking the life out of the company to slog out that seniority bump. It's sickening.

It doesn't mean they're evil people. I'm saying they're mostly lazy and it shows as soon as you want to get something actually done and it requires you to learn or use more than one part of your brain. Ever been into a shop where the same guy can't use a wrench and a multimeter? Or a place where you need a "crane guy" to use an overhead 2 ton jib hoist? They exist and most union shops are more insane than sane with their rules.

We're talking about a grocery store here. Not a trade. You either mop a floor, work a register, run a slicer, butcher an animal, bag groceries or stock shelves. None of these are rocket science jobs. They're menial manual labor you can teach nearly anyone to do.

falcon123 likes this.
  21. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

I agree. I don't know how a company can put up with demands from people who are so expendable. There are plenty of people who would like a simple dead end job while in college and would like to work there.

It's better than flipping burgers for minimum wage.

rcwhat likes this.
  22. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

Wegmans is far from overpriced and they consistently rank among the best in quality. Sure, they have a lot of high end stuff so the impression is that they’re expensive but they also have the basic staple stuff at similar prices to MB and others. It takes a little while to get used to Wegs, the first couple of times it can be overwhelming because of the sheer breadth of their offerings but their prices on the basics are as good as anyone’s and their selection on the gourmet stuff is unparalleled. Wegmans is like a combination of Market Basket, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s & Roche’s. If you like good food, Wegmans can’t be beat.

Sauer Grapes and falcon123 like this.
  23. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Ray Borque is a POS?!?! I guess TB 12 must be a washed up old has been as well!

24. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

Nope. It's the attempted intimidation of folks that have no skin in their game that I find annoying. That, and attempting to deny folks the opportunity to buy food, which by the way, ranks right up there behind oxygen and water. Don't want to sell it, fine, but exactly who do they think they are trying to stop those who wish to buy it from those who wish to sell it?

25. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

I'll say it.
    Democrats!

26. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

MB produce picked up a bit
    Sorry for sideways pics

Attached Files:

27. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

What Market Basket is THAT? Or is that a warehouse for them? Looks more like Restaurant Depot.

28. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Even if the 2 unions have nothing to do with each other? So a member of a hockey union is scum if he crosses a grocery picket line? How about if the grocery person wants to tour Cape Kennedy but has to cross a NASA employee union picket line? Movie actors can't cross an oil field worker's line either?

I'm only being half flippant here because I'm having a hard time grasping the loyalty to people and industries that have nothing to do with you and yours, and could even be at odds with yours. Making it harder for me is knowing that many of these people have little or no choice but to join a union and pay dues that, among other things, will make the union bosses rich and will likely be spent on political activism they disagree with.

29. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

It is called respect for others, a concept that is a rarity now. The me generation is in full bloom now.

greencobra likes this.
  30. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Personally, I think this strike is a bunch of BS. My choice of not shopping at S&S right now is no hardship. They're a store of last resort for me anyway, because they charge more for crap product.

And the bathrooms in the two S&S's I can vouch for are beyond disgusting.

I shop (usually) at MB because the produce is actually fresh, the store is clean (obv I speak not of the one in Ashland) and the staff is friendly.