Hope you don't need anything at Stop & Shop

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna shoot that fricken robot that follows me around the store.
Just drop something on the floor in front of it, it will slow him down for awhile.

I just grab an empty box out of the produce section, then recycle it when I get home.
Be Very Very Careful with that.

Anybody else have a fricking closet full of the damned paper bags now?

The plastic bags, you could stuff 6 months worth of bags into just one and hang it by the back door. When you need a bag, grab a bag. Have a bag you don't need, stuff it.

The paper ones are YUGE comparatively speaking. In winter I just toss the extras in the wood stove but at the moment I have BAGS of bags.
A metabag; if you will...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I was a young critter, we used to use the paper bags from the grocery store to make covers for our school textbooks. [grin]
Yep, I remember doing that too. We'd also use the paper bags to put recyclable paper in, back when you had to separate paper from other materials in the recycling bin.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I went to the Big Y today, asked the guy in butcher dept if he’d cut me some short ribs English style (the sideways cut, if you have never seen it). “Yes sir, how much would you like?” He happily cut me a couple of pounds. When I [used to] ask for something in the butcher dept at Stop & Shop I’d get a grumble & a stare - when there was someone actually in the butcher shop. I’m glad I stopped going to S&S altogether, their customer service sucks.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I went to the Big Y today, asked the guy in butcher dept if he’d cut me some short ribs English style (the sideways cut, if you have never seen it). “Yes sir, how much would you like?” He happily cut me a couple of pounds. When I [used to] ask for something in the butcher dept at Stop & Shop I’d get a grumble & a stare - when there was someone actually in the butcher shop. I’m glad I stopped going to S&S altogether, their customer service sucks.
Apparently at stop & shop there's no union classification for "advanced butcher". [rofl] The grumbling happens because the non-existent employee with that title is supposed to do that job, its the union way....

-Mike

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Anybody else have a fricking closet full of the damned paper bags now?

The plastic bags, you could stuff 6 months worth of bags into just one and hang it by the back door. When you need a bag, grab a bag. Have a bag you don't need, stuff it.

The paper ones are YUGE comparatively speaking. In winter I just toss the extras in the wood stove but at the moment I have BAGS of bags.

These damned dolphins are not worth the effort to save them!
Take a picture of them burning in your front yard, post on FB with the line "exactly how is this helping the environment?"

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
What's your problem with Americas Food Basket?

They have a lot of things from Latin America that are not easy to find.
The Field's Corner location and the small one that is/was off of Columbus Avenue near Mass Ave in Boston make me wonder if they paid bribes to pass inspections. Very run down and antiquated stores. Which I don't even understand at the Field's Corner location because it was a Bradlees until not too long ago, so it has no excuse for being like that.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inconvenient fact: paper bags release exactly the same amount of carbon whether they're buried, composted, or burned.
Got to bury them so deep they don't decompose.
Maybe find a plate subduction boundary trench
where you can feed the bags like a giant tectonic shredder.

When the compounds outgas as burning stuff in an island arc volcano,
blame Xenu or something...

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Got to bury them so deep they don't decompose.
Maybe find a plate subduction boundary trench
where you can feed the bags like a giant tectonic shredder.

When the compounds outgas as burning stuff in an island arc volcano,
blame Xenu or something...
Could do the same with the plastic bags.

Reactions: AHM

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Take a picture of them burning in your front yard, post on FB with the line "exactly how is this helping the environment?"
Do you know NOTHING? Burning paper bags is carbon neutral. Carbon taken from the air (by trees) and returned to the air (by burning).

Ironically, all those thin film plastic bags that we gave up trying to save the dolphins? Remember those?

Tell me, 42. What did you do with those bags AFTER you got you groceries home and then reused the bag for the bathroom trash can or to pick up dog poo? That's right. You throw it away. And it went to a landfill where it was buried.

Think about that for a moment.

We buried the bags.

In the ground.

42... Where do thin film plastic bags come from?

(hint - plastic is made from oil and oil comes from the ground)

So they solved a net carbon neutral "problem" with a solution where thousands, perhaps millions of us NOW use the paper bags for starting their wood stove, burning them just to get rid of them or even recycling them, which ultimately keeps that carbon in our environment even longer, perhaps as house insulation, a newspaper / magazine, Amazon boxes or whatever recycled paper is used for.

That's right. A net carbon neutral system became a net carbon POSITIVE problem. More carbon is staying in the environment and for longer because of those dunderheads.

People just don't think things through anymore.

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Do you know NOTHING? Burning paper bags is carbon neutral. Carbon taken from the air (by trees) and returned to the air (by burning).

Ironically, all those thin film plastic bags that we gave up trying to save the dolphins? Remember those?

Tell me, 42. What did you do with those bags AFTER you got you groceries home and then reused the bag for the bathroom trash can or to pick up dog poo? That's right. You throw it away. And it went to a landfill where it was buried.

Think about that for a moment.

We buried the bags.

In the ground.

42... Where do thin film plastic bags come from?

(hint - plastic is made from oil and oil comes from the ground)

So they solved a net carbon neutral "problem" with a solution where thousands, perhaps millions of us NOW use the paper bags for starting their wood stove, burning them just to get rid of them or even recycling them, which ultimately keeps that carbon in our environment even longer, perhaps as house insulation, a newspaper / magazine, Amazon boxes or whatever recycled paper is used for.

That's right. A net carbon neutral system became a net carbon POSITIVE problem. More carbon is staying in the environment and for longer because of those dunderheads.

People just don't think things through anymore.
Don't get me started on plastic bags! I did my research when the lunacy hit the Ham. I presented the facts to the town meeting. I argued for sanity..... I lost. It's become a touchy thing for me [angry]

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that stop and shop robot is dumb as a bag of hammers. i keep asking it where "the real stuff is", but it just wanders around looking at the floor....

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do like people are doing at the BigY where I shop: Use the fruit & veggie plastic bags. Stick as many as you need in your pocket and bag your food right after checkout. Now, this only works for light loads, so I'm now doing the bulk of my grocery shopping elsewhere. But for what little I really need from BigY, it works perfectly. [cheers]
I reuse plastic bags, mostly for picking up after my dog and for lining small waste baskets. My local groceries stores have all gone paper, or no bags at all. I ordered some on Amazon a couple of weeks ago. Somebody there has a good sense of humor. Check out the selection of bag counts...[wink]
IMG_0541.jpg

Top Bottom