Hope you don't need anything at Stop & Shop

mikelawtown

NES Member
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Just a few mushrooms this is a small load today
Broccoli is always fun ( Ice has to be removed)
Full 30 pallets of Lettuce was refused

Attachments

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
The steps and level of effort required to get a wide variety of fresh produce into my local supermarket from around the world blow my mind, particularly when you consider that it's relatively cheap.

Reactions: AHM

mibro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No one I know crossed the picket line, no one I know did it out of support for the strikers, they did it to avoid a hassle and empty/unstaffed stores.
This. I went in to deposit a check at Citizens Bank and while I was in the store my wife texted me to ask me to pick up something for my daughter. For that I received a scolding from a lunatic who implied God would not forgive me for crossing his picket line.

Now I don't have any fear of confronting a mob I know will not actually do anything, but many people do.

The article stated that S&S will lose some customers over this and the grocery store analyst they interviewed predicts that 95% of the customers will be back by Memorial Day. Huh? What? Aside from that being a rather rosy projection IMO, a 5% loss in customers/revenue is awful especially when your labor costs just went up.
Yup, grocery stores operate on very thin margins. Not only that but Jeff Bezos and Amazon/Whole Foods are now gunning for the grocery store laggards like S&S.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wish you'd pick a different profile pic, though! How about this: ...
I thought political power grew from the barrel of a gun...

Is broccoli political power?
That would explain why Bush '41 was a one-term president;
he hated the stuff.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
i went in yesterday to shop for the first time. last week went in for something stupid but i got that damn $5 off coupon. don't know what happened to the robot...still on strike, i dunno? i've shopped there forever and know most of the employees. 90% of the regulars, rough guess, are among the missing. lots of trainees and new faces. shelves close to full this week but i needed to look at date codes, especially dairy and meat. had to dig through the meat to find something that wasn't, you know, brownish. hunters call it aged, or hung. [laugh] checking out, almost everything had money off, if you swipped your s&s card. overhearing some employee conversation i detected disgruntled people still.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rt.3, 1/2 way between Boston and the Cape
Two words:

SELF CHECKOUT
Lol, every time I see those lanes/an employee tries to direct me to one of those lanes this comes to mind. And yes, I've left full carts of groceries in the checkout lane when the cashier simply disappeared and the [insert random employee here] tries to "assist" me to a self check out lane.

Reactions: AHM

Matt-CZ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For those of you that don't have S&S on their official NES boycott list, now might be a good time to swing by the store. I was seeing pretty deep discounts in the meat department, probably stuff that was supposed to move for Easter but never did because of the strike.

Spiral cut hams for $1.50/lb and racks of ribs for $2/lb. As far as I can tell, these are still well within use date. Probably never made it out of the freezer before the strike.

Just got to figure out how 2 people can eat 10 lbs of honey ham. I think we'll manage. :)

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that don't have S&S on their official NES boycott list, now might be a good time to swing by the store. I was seeing pretty deep discounts in the meat department, probably stuff that was supposed to move for Easter but never did because of the strike.

Spiral cut hams for $1.50/lb and racks of ribs for $2/lb. As far as I can tell, these are still well within use date. Probably never made it out of the freezer before the strike.

Just got to figure out how 2 people can eat 10 lbs of honey ham. I think we'll manage. :)
Honey ham freezes well. I made a 10 pounder for 2 people and left enough in the fridge for sammies. I use a Food Saver vac and froze the remainder into portioned bags. Good to go for 2+ years (according to food saver manual)

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

I grabbed a couple of the hams (one for the freezer and one to cook maybe Sunday) and a couple steaks for the grille tonight. I just might get another couple hams for the freezer, which should take care of the rest of the year. Maybe Shaws will have a strike toward the end of summer? [laugh]

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I didn't have any issues with dairy or meats being old. Just after the strike started, those departments were empty, so everything there after the strike was fresh.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
as a proud Union member I can tell you that in an abusive employment environment the only protection you have is your union.

Unions do not create jobs, unions protect workers and negotiate for working conditions, wages, and benefits.

If you choose not to be a union member, that's fine with me, but allow me the right to join one.

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like they lost $345Mil in lost sales due to the strike and 10% of customers did not return. Geniuses on both sides of this one: Stop & Shop lost $345 million in sales due to strike
I'm pretty sure they cut back on staff and/or the hours they work.

Evey week since the strike ended, I've noticed fewer cars in the lot, not as many lines open, rarely is there anyone bagging,etc

S&S was never great in that department, but it's gotten noticeably worse.

I'm gonna shoot that fricken robot that follows me around the store.
What's even more annoying is the announcer for clean up in aisle so and so never-shuts-the-f***-up.

Usually it's the same 2-3 aisles (produce is always the culprit), and it'll repeat itself 5-6-8 times before someone shows up.

Just drop something on the floor in front of it, it will slow him down for awhile.
There were a few times when I was bored waiting for the GF to finish up in an aisle, that I f***ed with it by getting in its way,
then blocked it again when it tried to go around me.

I know... I know, when the robot revolution comes around it, and all it's friends are going to remember me.

Junior314

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
as a proud Union member I can tell you that in an abusive employment environment the only protection you have is your union.

Unions do not create jobs, unions protect workers and negotiate for working conditions, wages, and benefits.

If you choose not to be a union member, that's fine with me, but allow me the right to join one.
Or you could choose to be employed at a place that doesn't abuse it's employees. Especially in today's job market.

You have the right to be a part of a union if you wish but its not the only way to earn a fair wage and benefits.

Looks like they lost $345Mil in lost sales due to the strike and 10% of customers did not return. Geniuses on both sides of this one: Stop & Shop lost $345 million in sales due to strike
My wife and I used to shop at the one 5 minutes down the street from us. We now shop at Shaw's and have no plans to ever go back to S&S.

Top Bottom