Hope you don't need anything at Stop & Shop

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Only complaint I have about MB is their produce. I don't know if it's just the Gloucester store, but the quality seems to be hit or miss many times. Aside from that I don't have any complaints.
I thought it was just me.
Plus some stuff is typicaly sold out by sunday, when the wife shops. I do a midweek fill in for that stuff.
Also really miss normal plastic bags. I went to the danvers mb (still plastic bags) this week because i had to go out of town, and checkout is MUCH faster.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
It seems to be a common thing. I have only spent any time in the sandwich ma and seabrook nh stores and they both seem to have this problem. I don't usually buy meat there either because of an old bad experience but from what people tell me it was probably a fluke.
I haven't had any issues with their meat.....yet. But the produce is far from great. My wife bought apples a few days ago and most of them are already soft. Their lettuce is "okay" at best which I buy each week for sandwiches.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I thought it was just me.
Plus some stuff is typicaly sold out by sunday, when the wife shops. I do a midweek fill in for that stuff.
Also really miss normal plastic bags. I went to the danvers mb (still plastic bags) this week because i had to go out of town, and checkout is MUCH faster.
Hah I always do my shopping on Sunday as well and many things are sold out. But I normally go a few times during the week as well.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have to pick up a prescription tomorrow at the Fairhaven S&S. The pharmacist says the strikers won't bother me if that's why I'm going in. Wish me luck.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
That union is greedy.

In Mass a cashier already averages $15.

Minimum wage in Mass is $12.

S&S wants the employees to pay more for health care. It is not S&S fault that health care went up 3x in the past decade.

This union might put S&S out of business.

Union supermarkets have all failed in the past and S&S is the only one that remains.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That union is greedy.

In Mass a cashier already averages $15.

Minimum wage in Mass is $12.

S&S wants the employees to pay more for health care. It is not S&S fault that health care went up 3x in the past decade.

This union might put S&S out of business.

Union supermarkets have all failed in the past and S&S is the only one that remains.
My sister works for Shaws in Canton and that store is union, not all are.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
one reason for the strike, they're trying to maintain the current benefit package for new and future hires which corporate wants to change and in some line items do away with. more than my union did for us. at my place, as long as the local union hierarchy was still taken care of they gave away the store basically at contract time.

i shop at s&s. when mb went on strike we got an influx of their faithful ebt shoppers at my local store. they left the place devastated and trashed. paper, dirty kleenex and misc. trash littered an other wise clean store. used diapers dropped in the parking lot, the place was a real shithole until they returned to the land of milk and honey. just some observations i made at the time.

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Only complaint I have about MB is their produce. I don't know if it's just the Gloucester store, but the quality seems to be hit or miss many times. Aside from that I don't have any complaints.
Its their buying technique. Even their produce managers will tell you its not the best produce, but that's how they keep their produce prices down.

I worked in management for them for a period if time. I worked various times in about 20 of their MA & NH stores. To this day, I still know a lot of people there, including some of their VP's and higher-level supervision people (because they promote from inside the company, so I knew some of them from store level 30+ years ago, before they moved up)...

Last edited:

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am going to make a bold prediction.

I think that S&S will be forced out of business because of this union.

I feel bad for the workers.
I think you are right, S&S will not be around long if they even make it out of the strike. sad for me because I like my local S&S and the people.

Top Bottom