Hope you don't need anything at Stop & Shop

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
huh, I didn't think the cashiers and stock people were union. I had heard that it was only the meat/deli and receiving people. Course that was a long time ago, things may have changed.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Market Basket, Big Y and Shaws. The Franklin Stop and Shop has been a garbage pit for the last 5 years.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Marginal quality at higher than average prices. I'll pass. Prefer Market Basket, Price Chopper and Shaws. Would be all over Wegmans if they had one closer to home.
I get too overwhelmed in Wegmans. Seems like high quality stuff but just can't deal with the crowds and the layout of the store.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Big Y for the win
Ah. Si! Grande Porque!

I'm a Hanny man, myself. Although it's b/c my local Hanny has a lot of good stuff. The one in Lakeville? Notsomuch. Thin on the produce department. Ditto for meat. It's a shell of the Taunton store.

I'd go MB, but our local one has to be the oldest in the chain at this point. A shade under 30 years old. Never a makeover. Store was "big" when it opened. FAR too small now. With the other stores in teh plaza going belly-up, it's time for DeMoula's to step up and renovate. Make it bigger. Make it more room'able. Tired of leaving my cart on the outskirts of teh produce area and venturing in "on foot." NOT on the weekend. The weekend, it must be crazy there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know that cutting and weighing meat, bagging groceries, etc. was such high skill labor that you should be paid $15 an hour for it.

I'll bet that the employees at S&S probably have dental and vision in their healthcare. My company doesn't offer that, but my skill level is off the charts compared to the average S&S union employee. Life ain't fair.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a Hanny man, myself. Although it's b/c my local Hanny has a lot of good stuff. The one in Lakeville? Notsomuch. Thin on the produce department. Ditto for meat. It's a shell of the Taunton store.
The big problem I have with the Taunton one is the unfathomable laziness of the customers. You can barely drive in the parking lot because there are hundreds of shopping carts strewn about the parking lot. I even watched someone who was parked next to a cart corral load up her car and then shove the cart into the next parking space before getting in her car and driving off instead of walking 10 steps to put the cart back where it belongs.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thank god for Market Basket!

I have a stop and shop nearby to my work site, and have been using it more and more. The quality is not bad, the bakery is much better than MB's, but the prices are pretty high. I am assuming Stop and Shop knows this fact, and simply can not raise their prices any more and also stay in business....hence the breakdown in union negotiations.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
thank god for Market Basket!

I have a stop and shop nearby to my work site, and have been using it more and more. The quality is not bad, the bakery is much better than MB's, but the prices are pretty high. I am assuming Stop and Shop knows this fact, and simply can not raise their prices any more and also stay in business....hence the breakdown in union negotiations.
Only complaint I have about MB is their produce. I don't know if it's just the Gloucester store, but the quality seems to be hit or miss many times. Aside from that I don't have any complaints.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Only complaint I have about MB is their produce. I don't know if it's just the Gloucester store, but the quality seems to be hit or miss many times. Aside from that I don't have any complaints.
It seems to be a common thing. I have only spent any time in the sandwich ma and seabrook nh stores and they both seem to have this problem. I don't usually buy meat there either because of an old bad experience but from what people tell me it was probably a fluke.

GomerPile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just went in and got my afternoon snack. As I was walking in some lady yelled "We're on strike...no one is in there to help you!". My response was "So everything is running normally then?"

Place was a ghost town...got a muffin and diet coke, self check out, in and out in 2.5 minutes....BEST STOP AND SHOP EXPERIENCE EVER!

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 s&s locations in Beverly. Those employees should be getting plenty nervous about the new whole foods opening in a few months. Hopefully Market Basket buys one of them. The Danvers location is completely mobbed every day of the week. Like 3 to 4x the volume of gross overpirced stop and shop

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just went in and got my afternoon snack. As I was walking in some lady yelled "We're on strike...no one is in there to help you!". My response was "So everything is running normally then?"

Place was a ghost town...got a muffin and diet coke, self check out, in and out in 2.5 minutes....BEST STOP AND SHOP EXPERIENCE EVER!
Yup. Grocery stores used to be somewhere for teenagers to work after school and on the summers. As long as they got minimum wage they were fine.
Any deviation from that business model should mean a switch to more technology, not adult workers who need a salary to support a family...

Top Bottom