• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hooking up with your old war buddies.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
So, I have been searching on the internet for years for some of my old war buddies from Vietnam.

I search the 101st Airborne and 173rd Airborne sites......but it is kind of frustrating.

You only remember the cools guy's years later.....the good friends you had.....

You tend to forget about the a**h***s you knew back then.

So you get on the internet and find the a**h*** are usually the only ones still around!

Why is that?

And did you ever notice that the officers never show up on these sites?

Only the a**h***s?

Last edited:
I'm amazed that very few of the people I served with in the 45th Med Co Air Ambulance have even registered on the Dustoff Association website. I kind of get the idea that most who came back Vietnam just wanted to be obscure and become part of the woodwork.

As far as organizations go, the Dustoff community is pretty small as compared to the 101st and 173rd. Then again, I'd say things are pretty relative with very few showing themselves.

We're actually having a reunion with the guys I served with back in 88-91 in Germany and the Gulf. Great group of guys and thinking it may be the best Memorial Day in recent memory. One of the best parts is that our wives will be there, and are just as psyched, as they were an incredibly cohesive group, while we were in Germany, and even more so, while we were deployed.

We tried to have a 20 year ship reunion back in October in Newport that just fell completely apart. Really hard to accommodate everyone and the guy who was at the helm of the thing just gave up. Real bummer, I would have loved to see a lot of those guys.

My first military unit had a reunion 2 years ago which was all based on facebook connections. some of us who were still friends after all these years started networking and got a list of people together. 2 yrs ago we met up for a weekend and had a good time.

that unit now has its own facebook page and a lot of the guys are 'friends' on there. They are putting together another reunion this summer, which sounds like it will be a good time. a lot of the folks from earlier years (that left the unit before me and my buddys' time) are going too so it should be a little more diverse.

I dont know that having a get together will continue many years down the road - but it was fun to get together & have a few beers, see all the young soldiers - grownup to mostly fat, old bald guys... Yeah there were a few of the people we remembered being a-holes, but they grew up too, and werent all that bad after all.

I know the unit hubby and I served with has a FB page and are planning a couple of reunions. I had stayed in touch with a few all these years, other have gotten back in touch with via FB.

Back
Top Bottom