Honoring Fallen Vets

You've gotta love that guy and his neighbors.

The Middleboro Traffic Circle is officially named The American Legion Memorial Circle.

There is a lighted flag pole in the middle of it.

For the two years that I was Legion Commander, I put out a request for casket flags to be donated to be flown in honor of dead veterans.

About once a month (the flags didn't last much longer than that), I'd take a picture of the donor or the person whom was being remembered, post it with a story about the vet in the local newspaper, and hoist the new flag. That flag would fly for about a month until it started to get shabby and a new one would go up.

It's amazing how many flags were donated and how many stories of the vets I got.

I took great pleasure in that duty.

I don't know if the practice was continued after I left the post...I think it was.

The next time you drive around the Middleboro Rotary, take a moment to think about the flag flying there.

Y'all really need to post Kleenex warnings on these things for some of us.[wink] For anyone who does counted cross stitch I am involved with a group that makes memorials for our fallen service members.

Back
Top Bottom