• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Honoring Fallen Vets

You've gotta love that guy and his neighbors.

The Middleboro Traffic Circle is officially named The American Legion Memorial Circle.

There is a lighted flag pole in the middle of it.

For the two years that I was Legion Commander, I put out a request for casket flags to be donated to be flown in honor of dead veterans.

About once a month (the flags didn't last much longer than that), I'd take a picture of the donor or the person whom was being remembered, post it with a story about the vet in the local newspaper, and hoist the new flag. That flag would fly for about a month until it started to get shabby and a new one would go up.

It's amazing how many flags were donated and how many stories of the vets I got.

I took great pleasure in that duty.

I don't know if the practice was continued after I left the post...I think it was.

The next time you drive around the Middleboro Rotary, take a moment to think about the flag flying there.

Y'all really need to post Kleenex warnings on these things for some of us.[wink] For anyone who does counted cross stitch I am involved with a group that makes memorials for our fallen service members.

Back
Top Bottom