Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
"She runs a business, she's already a sell out."
Waa. Gag me.

I think this baker forgot the most important thing about business. Don't tell a person why you are refusing to do business with them.

"Hi, we'd like X by Y date."
"Let me look at the schedule. I'm sorry, we won't be able to even start it by then."

Done. No one goes waaa waaa waaa sandyvag.
I agree with this. They made a huge mistake by not simply blowing some smoke up their ass. "You want what? Ok... I think we can do that, but hold on... let me look at the schedule. (put on hold) (comes back 5 minutes later) "Ma'am I'm awfully sorry but I can't take your order, we can't guarantee that it would be done on time. May we suggest you contact MoonbatCakes in Provincetown? We've heard they're very good."

-Mike

NewGunGuy

Banned
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm surprised more stuff like this isn't happening yet! Just imagine some camel jockey going into a christian book store and complaining that they don't carry the koran. This country is going full retard with all the political correctness crap!

Charles.

Pilgrim

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
the .gov:

tells you if you can have a business (permits)
tells you what hours you can be open (zoning and 'blue' laws)
tells you how much you need to pay your employees (min wage laws)
tells you who you must hire (no discrimination, racial quotas)
tells you what you can sell (booze, cigs, butter, milk, etc)
tells you how much you must charge (cig minimums, other food subsidies)

is it any surprise it tells you who you have to sell to ?

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm surprised more stuff like this isn't happening yet! Just imagine some camel jockey going into a christian book store and complaining that they don't carry the koran. This country is going full retard with all the political correctness crap!

Charles.
The thing is, if the "camel jockey" did that, the individuals that run the Christian book store probably wouldn't be risking alienating their consumer base by refusing service. Gresham basically is Portland, which is about as moonbatty a location as you're gonna find. A bakery that's known for not catering to the LGBT community there might have some issues finding like-minded customers to support them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. They made a huge mistake by not simply blowing some smoke up their ass. "You want what? Ok... I think we can do that, but hold on... let me look at the schedule. (put on hold) (comes back 5 minutes later) "Ma'am I'm awfully sorry but I can't take your order, we can't guarantee that it would be done on time. May we suggest you contact MoonbatCakes in Provincetown? We've heard they're very good."

-Mike
I agree. They could of also screwed the project up big time, but that carries risk.

exojam

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had read about this a while ago and they had made cakes for the couple in question before, they just would not make a wedding cake for them based off of religious beliefs on marriage.

As for this kind of stuff happening, below is a small section from the link below (that originally dealt with the couple in question)

TODD'S AMERICAN DISPATCH: Christian bakery closes after LGBT threats, protests | Fox News

"Just last month, New Mexico’s Supreme Court ruled that two Christian photographers who declined to photograph a same-sex union violated the state’s Human Rights Act. One justice said the photographers were “compelled by law to compromise the very religious beliefs that inspire their lives.”

Denver baker Jack Phillips is facing possible jail time for refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

The Colorado Attorney General’s office filed a formal complaint against Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cake Shop. A hearing before the state’s civil rights commission is set for later this month.

In Indianapolis, a family-owned cookie shop faced a discrimination investigation after they refused to make rainbow cookies for National Coming Out Day.

A T-shirt company in Lexington, Ky. found itself at the center of a Human Rights Commission investigation after they refused to make T-shirts for a local gay rights organization."

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
i've got homosexual friends, and hold no ill will against homosexuals--however, "human rights" does not equal "right to use the force of the state and law to not have your jimmies personally rustled."

Scarecrow

Army Veteran
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had read about this a while ago and they had made cakes for the couple in question before, they just would not make a wedding cake for them based off of religious beliefs on marriage.

As for this kind of stuff happening, below is a small section from the link below (that originally dealt with the couple in question)

TODD'S AMERICAN DISPATCH: Christian bakery closes after LGBT threats, protests | Fox News

"Just last month, New Mexico’s Supreme Court ruled that two Christian photographers who declined to photograph a same-sex union violated the state’s Human Rights Act. One justice said the photographers were “compelled by law to compromise the very religious beliefs that inspire their lives.”

Denver baker Jack Phillips is facing possible jail time for refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

The Colorado Attorney General’s office filed a formal complaint against Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cake Shop. A hearing before the state’s civil rights commission is set for later this month.

In Indianapolis, a family-owned cookie shop faced a discrimination investigation after they refused to make rainbow cookies for National Coming Out Day.

A T-shirt company in Lexington, Ky. found itself at the center of a Human Rights Commission investigation after they refused to make T-shirts for a local gay rights organization."
If it's such a huge thing, take it back to them; put in an order for 500 "Heterosexual pride" shirts at a gay t-shirt manufacturer. None of this should be news, nor should it be legislated; if a business is discriminating based on religious or personal beliefs, speak with your wallet and boycott them.

Not if you make it yourself. Mine is delicious. :)
It's powdered sugar and melty marshmallows, what's not to like? Add some butter and rice krispies, and I'll eat the entire batch before it ever sees a cake!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If two lesbians can shut down a bakery over one cake - why can't millions of gun owners sue Capitol One for not printing gun images on credit cards?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Uhhh....so let me get this straight.

They refused to make a cake for a lesbian couple. The couple publicized this event and orders dried up to the point where they had to close their business. How exactly is that wrong?

The harassment and complaint to the government are absolutely wrong, but it sounds from the article like people in the community are supportive of gay rights. That's capitalism, baby.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Didn't New Hampshire add a clause to their same-sex marriage bill that specifically allows organizations who don't support gay marriage to refuse service for such an event? It's unusual to see a legislature with that type of foresight, but it looks like that clause would be very necessary in one of these situations.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0

They refused to make a cake for a lesbian couple. The couple publicized this event and orders dried up to the point where they had to close their business. How exactly is that wrong?

The harassment and complaint to the government are absolutely wrong, but it sounds from the article like people in the community are supportive of gay rights. That's capitalism, baby.

Came here to say the exact same thing, thanks for pointing this out. We scream about voting with our dollars, and that's what the people did. The government fine part is complete horsehit

Rating - 100%
13   0   0

exactly.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
however the line is crossed here:

The lesbian couple hasn’t dropped their complaint, and if the State Bureau of Labor and Industries rules in their favor, the Kleins could end up paying a civil penalty of $1,000 per violation — and up to $50,000 for emotional damage, The Blaze said.
capitalism? OK.

having the state ruin these people because two lesbians are butthurt? not OK.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thank goodness there were no veterans with service dogs involved. [wink]

I would agree with those who say that any business has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason (even stupid ones and even bigoted ones) but I would agree with Dr Grant that the best way to handle the situation is simply to say that they are "too busy to handle the request"...then again why anyone in legitimate business would turn down business is beyond me which is why I never understood the segregated South. The fear of customer backlash is frequently exaggerated, but the bakery owner also got tons of free publicity and the state has yet to make any decisions.

je25ff

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So if a store said they wouldn't sell me a cake because I am white, I would laugh and go to another store. Case closed.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
So if a store said they wouldn't sell me a cake because I am white, I would laugh and go to another store. Case closed.
What about the emotional damages? Apparently $50k is the going rate for finding out that somebody doesn't want you as their customer.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
gonna pretend i am gay and sue a business (preferably an anti-gun one) so i can sell my house and move out of MA.

you guys have seen my sparkle holster. i could pull it off, yes?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
however the line is crossed here:

capitalism? OK.

having the state ruin these people because two lesbians are butthurt? not OK.
the fact that there is even a bureau you can file a complaint with when someone doesn't make you a cake is infuriating

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
gonna pretend i am gay and sue a business (preferably an anti-gun one) so i can sell my house and move out of MA.

you guys have seen my sparkle holster. i could pull it off, yes?
I tried something similar once in the military to avoid a deployment. Didn't work, they still sent me to Chad.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point is progressive liberals must destroy or ban anything that doesn't conform to their political views. They hate Christians because their religion teaches them that homosexuality and abortions are a sin. They hate conservatives because we don't believe in the welfare state. They hate gun owners because they don't think the public should be able to defend ourselves. Like Coulter said, Liberalism is a disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom