Homosexuals Force Bakery to Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
So she turned down a lesbian wedding cake and they made it sound like it was due to them being lesbians. Maybe it was due to what they wanted on the cake. Or that they couldn't complete it in the time given. Or maybe the lesbians wanted to pay less than it would cost to make the damned cake. I wouldn't put that past them.

How retarded is it that the couple didn't just go to a different baker to get a cake?? Maybe they got turned down by all the others, and this was their last option. Who knows. But, as the article sits, the lesbian couple, and the rest of the gay community out there, are doing far more harm to the baker and her family.

I hope the baker gets cleared in this. I also hope that her business takes off again, so she doesn't have that additional stress. I know that if she was in this region, I'd be looking to purchase items from her.

BTW, the lesbian couple need to EAHBOD and get over themselves.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
**** this.

they have every right to run their business how they see fit. if people have a problem with that they can vote with their dollars, not involve the state and organize a campaign of harassment against these people. for a group of people such as homosexuals, people who KNOW the feeling of hatred, of discrimination... to turn around and do that to others? extremely low and hypocritical. it's a ****ing cake. stop being babies and getting the state and your personal army to fight your battles. go to a different baker.

i just sent them an email asking if they accept donations so they can feed their family. i want to believe that these folks live by what is laid out in the text of their religion and are decent people trying to feed their children, and that their refusal was polite, and not a bigoted tirade. if for some reason it was in fact some bigoted tirade... then no money for you, 'cause that's just not cool.

blinky

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't agree with their decision to turn down a client just because they are gay, but don't they have the right to refuse service for any reason? Did they come out and straight say we don't serve gays?
The owners are stupid for doing it and the people that are now calling them names and hate mail is hilariously ironic.

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So she turned down a lesbian wedding cake and they made it sound like it was due to them being lesbians. Maybe it was due to what they wanted on the cake. Or that they couldn't complete it in the time given. Or maybe the lesbians wanted to pay less than it would cost to make the damned cake. I wouldn't put that past them.
The information presented in the article seems to suggest that it wasn't an issue of payment.

In May, because of their religious beliefs, the Kleins turned down a request from a lesbian couple, Rachel Cryer and Laurel Bowmann, to bake a cake for their upcoming wedding.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
I suspect they turned down the work for valid reasons, and in a non-offensive way...

Maybe we should send flintoid over to the [lesbian couple's] wedding... [rofl2][rofl2]

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, turning down a commission/job over religious reasons is 100% valid. You won't see a kosher catering service serving pork.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
if they went "'cause you're fags"... yeah, that's uncool. still not a good enough reason to **** with their income. your jimmies got rustled, boo hoo.

if they said "because we don't want to and don't have to explain ourselves to you, the state, or anyone else." it's harsh, but it's the truth. they don't have to explain how they run their own business to anyone.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I suspect they turned down the work for valid reasons, and in a non-offensive way...

Maybe we should send flintoid over to the [lesbian couple's] wedding... [rofl2][rofl2]

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, turning down a commission/job over religious reasons is 100% valid. You won't see a kosher catering service serving pork.
However, those folks who are turned down should have the right to voice their story, and allow the market to dictate the future of the business, right?

From the looks of it, the business turned down the request, the clients brought their story public, and the business had to close down because of their place in the public space.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen... or move your kitchen to home.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, if the couple wasn't looking for $50,000 in damages (according to the article), I'd consider this more of the free market causing the business to close. The business owners should have the right to refuse service if they choose to, however they will have to deal with the consequences of that decision. In this case it caused customers to cancel their orders, new customers to look elsewhere and business associates to rethink their business relationship with this particular business. Because of the drop in revenue from losing business, this business is going under.

If the government rules in favor of the couple, it will be setting the precedent that if someone comes to your business seeking service, you are required to serve them.

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
However, those folks who are turned down should have the right to voice their story, and allow the market to dictate the future of the business, right?

From the looks of it, the business turned down the request, the clients brought their story public, and the business had to close down because of their place in the public space.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen... or move your kitchen to home.
Yup, that's how I see it. Now, involving the state labor bureau crosses the line, but if I'm reading the article correctly, the state hasn't taken any action yet. So far all the results are just customers voting with their wallets.

Scarecrow

Army Veteran
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Apparently, the baker (Melissa - Sweet Cakes by Melissa) is highly religious and did not want to make the cake because she does not agree with same sex marriage. Regardless of how you stand on the issue; would you want our wedding cake done by someone who absolutely hates your relationship?

I'm going to get my wedding cake done by a team of mine and my fiancee's exes; nothing bad can happen here, right?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Actually, if the couple wasn't looking for $50,000 in damages (according to the article), I'd consider this more of the free market causing the business to close. The business owners should have the right to refuse service if they choose to, however they will have to deal with the consequences of that decision. In this case it caused customers to cancel their orders, new customers to look elsewhere and business associates to rethink their business relationship with this particular business. Because of the drop in revenue from losing business, this business is going under.

If the government rules in favor of the couple, it will be setting the precedent that if someone comes to your business seeking service, you are required to serve them.
This.

I wonder about why the service was refused specifically or what was said...

...If they called out the fact they chose not to serve them because of their sexual orientation, they deserve to go under.

I don't know how I feel on the "civil fees". Discrimination is wrong, but without knowing what was said, I can't formulate an opinion yet.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
i want to believe that if they believe in the teachings of their religion so strongly that they refuse money, that they follow all the shit in there about being good to others as well.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The owner sounds like an idiot. Show me in the bible where it says to not sell cakes or anything to homosexuals. The bible does however say lots of things that no one follows:

"Neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woolen come upon thee." -- Leviticus 19:19
"Ye shall not round the corners of your heads." -- Leviticus 19:27
"When men fight with one another, and the wife of the one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of him who is beating him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the private parts, then you shall cut off her hand." -- Deuteronomy 25:11-12
"Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place...." -- Ephesians 5:4
"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." -- Exodus 20:8

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
The owner sounds like an idiot. Show me in the bible where it says to not sell cakes or anything to homosexuals. The bible does however say lots of things that no one follows:
Pretty sure they took exception to the lesbian couple getting married part. I bet if it was for a different event (b-day, etc.) there would have been zero issue...

BTW, this is supposed to be a FREE country. Businesses have the right to refuse customers for whatever reason they see fit. The pair of lesbians, in this case, got a huge case of sandyvag over it. Instead of taking the higher ground, and just moving on, they decided to try to destroy the bakery... Going for $1k plus $50k in 'emotional damages' is just bullsheit...

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't agree with their decision to turn down a client just because they are gay, but don't they have the right to refuse service for any reason? Did they come out and straight say we don't serve gays?
The owners are stupid for doing it and the people that are now calling them names and hate mail is hilariously ironic.
they have every right not to make the cake, the gays have every right to orchestrate boycotts and give them bad press

everyone loses because no one can respect other people's personal choices

Scarecrow

Army Veteran
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If they refused to bake Troy Industries a cake this thread would be much more entertaining.
No argument here. My opinion would be exactly the same though: private businesses have the ability to make their own decisions regarding their business and apparently only the government, fueled by special interest groups and lobbyists can say otherwise. If I opened a bakery (I have considered it, tbh) and I decided I didn't want to sell my product to someone for any reason, their options are to find another place to buy that product or don't buy the product, my reasons are my own and this bakery should have kept their reasons to themselves.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my mom and i bake and decorate cakes as a hobby for friends and friends of friends. more than once we have been asked to make a cake for a friend who was either a) marrying somebody they should not (i.e. scumbag, gold digger), b) had a teenaged daughter who was having a baby, c) decided to use FONDANT (so freaking gross) etc etc. it was distasteful to us, and totally against our beliefs (seriously guys, fondant is disgusting), but we did it because that is what was expected of us and we enjoy making and decorating cakes.
this woman runs a cake business. she is already a sell out. i am pretty sure her religion objects to having babies out of wedlock, but i would guess she never bothered to ask every person getting a cake for a baby shower if the parents were married. i bet she's also against divorce, but i know every bakery i have been to (or worked at) has done "congratulations on your divorce!" cakes. i also know that my white aunt and black uncle got some flak when they were going around looking for cakes for their wedding, but the really professional places did not give a crap. it is a business.
basically, my view is that if she is so set in beliefs laid down by her religion, there would have been many other stories before this one. it seems to me that something was different this time and she outright told these women that she thought their marriage was wrong. unless she pulls she same crap on everyone who is not "perfect and right" in the eyes of the church, it's not cool of her to do it to just them.
not that i think it would be OK to treat everyone like crap. but i've always felt you cant' just pick and choose what things of your religion to follow. if she wants to use her religion as an excuse for this, she needs to carry around stones to throw at girls who have premarital sex, etc
blah blah if she was refusing service to mixed race couples nobody would bat an eye at the place closing down as a result, yadda yadda
my two cents, for what it's worth.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
If they refused to bake Troy Industries a cake this thread would be much more entertaining.
Better yet, a cake for two lesbians that work at Troy. I think that would cause a divide by zero error and the earth to crack open and split in half. [rofl]

-Mike

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
"She runs a business, she's already a sell out."
Waa. Gag me.

I think this baker forgot the most important thing about business. Don't tell a person why you are refusing to do business with them.

"Hi, we'd like X by Y date."
"Let me look at the schedule. I'm sorry, we won't be able to even start it by then."

Done. No one goes waaa waaa waaa sandyvag.

NewGunGuy

Banned
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
my mom and i bake and decorate cakes as a hobby for friends and friends of friends. more than once we have been asked to make a cake for a friend who was either a) marrying somebody they should not (i.e. scumbag, gold digger), b) had a teenaged daughter who was having a baby, c) decided to use FONDANT (so freaking gross) etc etc. it was distasteful to us, and totally against our beliefs (seriously guys, fondant is disgusting), but we did it because that is what was expected of us and we enjoy making and decorating cakes.
this woman runs a cake business. she is already a sell out. i am pretty sure her religion objects to having babies out of wedlock, but i would guess she never bothered to ask every person getting a cake for a baby shower if the parents were married. i bet she's also against divorce, but i know every bakery i have been to (or worked at) has done "congratulations on your divorce!" cakes. i also know that my white aunt and black uncle got some flak when they were going around looking for cakes for their wedding, but the really professional places did not give a crap. it is a business.
basically, my view is that if she is so set in beliefs laid down by her religion, there would have been many other stories before this one. it seems to me that something was different this time and she outright told these women that she thought their marriage was wrong. unless she pulls she same crap on everyone who is not "perfect and right" in the eyes of the church, it's not cool of her to do it to just them.
not that i think it would be OK to treat everyone like crap. but i've always felt you cant' just pick and choose what things of your religion to follow. if she wants to use her religion as an excuse for this, she needs to carry around stones to throw at girls who have premarital sex, etc
blah blah if she was refusing service to mixed race couples nobody would bat an eye at the place closing down as a result, yadda yadda
my two cents, for what it's worth.
Man wtf was this, one long a$$ run on sentence? Let people run their business the way they want. That is like a store that sells everything for just left handed people and you are a right handed person, are you going to go and complain and moan about it?

Charles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom