Homesteading Skills

i have not read this thread yet but i know there's a lot of chicken advice here....what are you seasoned chicken keepers doing for your birds this weekend? i'm keeping mine inside their coop. moved their food and water inside the coop as well.
i was also wondering about wireless thermometers......i need one that can cover the distance from house to coop (100 feet) plus be able to penetrate 2 walls (1 on coop and 1 on house). what do you have that works?
tia
Take the water out imo. Moisture is the #1 cause of frostbite.

I threw in a $40 radiant heater from TSC. Dont think they NEED it but made the wife happy.

Also covered their roosting area with another 2 layers (bed sheet + tarp). Guess we'll find out in the morning how well i did

Take the water out imo. Moisture is the #1 cause of frostbite.

I threw in a $40 radiant heater from TSC. Dont think they NEED it but made the wife happy.

Also covered their roosting area with another 2 layers (bed sheet + tarp). Guess we'll find out in the morning how well i did
I had put the waterer on top of a metal basket in hopes of keeping the surrounding pine shavings dry and I removed the water at sunset, when they usually hit the roost. My coop is insulated and I did add a bunch of extra shavings to the coop floor on Wednesday……
I put a wireless thermometer in there and it reads -4 tonight. I know we’re not supposed to look at them as pets but I can’t help but hope they’re not suffering..
Can you link the heater you used and maybe give a performance report? Thanks.

I had put the waterer on top of a metal basket in hopes of keeping the surrounding pine shavings dry and I removed the water at sunset, when they usually hit the roost. My coop is insulated and I did add a bunch of extra shavings to the coop floor on Wednesday……
I put a wireless thermometer in there and it reads -4 tonight. I know we’re not supposed to look at them as pets but I can’t help but hope they’re not suffering..
Can you link the heater you used and maybe give a performance report? Thanks.
I think theyre probably OK at -4 as long as they dont get wet. Their poop and respiration will release moisture as well, so even outside of the waterer issue you do want good ventilation (but not draft, on their roosting area esp).

I hope all worked out for you, how did it go? I think we were -10 and the chix are ok. This is what I used: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/cozy-chicken-coop-flat-panel-heater-200w

My coop is mega ventilated (and is only 4x4) so I used that device to try and raise the immediate area a few degrees if possible. They stayed together and seemed fine.

I think theyre probably OK at -4 as long as they dont get wet. Their poop and respiration will release moisture as well, so even outside of the waterer issue you do want good ventilation (but not draft, on their roosting area esp).

I hope all worked out for you, how did it go? I think we were -10 and the chix are ok. This is what I used: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/cozy-chicken-coop-flat-panel-heater-200w

My coop is mega ventilated (and is only 4x4) so I used that device to try and raise the immediate area a few degrees if possible. They stayed together and seemed fine.
They all made it. Not happy about being “cooped up” from Thursday night til this morning but no other problems.

Last year Obama got a special permit so he could have a 2,000 gallon (not sure exactly but A LOT) propane tank added to his property on Martha's Vinyard. i wonder what his reason was for that Hmmmmmmm

Last year Obama got a special permit so he could have a 2,000 gallon (not sure exactly but A LOT) propane tank added to his property on Martha's Vinyard. i wonder what his reason was for that Hmmmmmmm
To be honest, if I had a property there, I would go with a tank that size as well. Remember, all that stuff has to come over on a boat. They don't pull LPG gas barges there. Grab a few bad weeks of weather and your small tank is empty and get in line for the new delivery.

To be honest, if I had a property there, I would go with a tank that size as well. Remember, all that stuff has to come over on a boat. They don't pull LPG gas barges there. Grab a few bad weeks of weather and your small tank is empty and get in line for the new delivery.
Oh I know I lived there for almost a year back in the day. However his request was so much out of the norm it required some sort of special permit. I am sure with all the money out there they are well sorted out, this was above and beyond that..

Why, when you can get a couple of smaller ones with no special permit most likely.
tHINK

Why, when you can get a couple of smaller ones with no special permit most likely.
Installing a couple 1000 Gal tanks requires no special permit?

I would not want a couple 1K tanks in my yard unless they were buried.

A 2K tank would most likely be underground. Special permit for what? Under ground tank or total gallonage?

Back
Top Bottom