• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Homesteading Skills

Mostly it's an experiment to see how we would store food in a SHTF situation. Our hens lay in winter but only due to artificial light helping keep them regulated and a steady diet of supplemental food.

In an isolation situation, we would want to save eggs in high production summer months in preparation of low winter production and the need to hatch more chicks in early spring.

On top of that food is always a great commodity for trading, and storing it is important if needed as a trading staple.
Did you store those in a mixture of lime and distilled water?

Fixing/maintaining your own tools and equipment.
Cutting your own firewood.
Building your out buildings.
Learn to weld
Learn to salvage and repurpose items.
Learn to compost in large quantity.
Learn how minimize soil erosion.

There's plenty of info on raising sheep and goats and the required space for each.
This.
We looked at downsizing stuff, but the welders and tools will never be on the list.

If SHtF, our three small garden plots, plus the flower garden (would be converted to food generator) will come in handy.

People will still trade goods. Cars will still exist and need repair.

Plans include:
100 acres. Mix of farmland and wood lot for materials and game.
Build a still. (for trade, not consumption)
Have a local network who knows your skills and you compliment theirs.
Defensible positions.
At least one of each which runs on diesel: vehicle, Genset, tractor.
Setup ability to make biodiesel
200w minimum self power generation.
Well and cistern rain catch system.
Chickens, goats and maybe a pig.

I found these in Maine growing on the bottom of a tree. I thought they were chicken of the woods, can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• D95CE04D-F09C-4F3D-ADB5-F8AF85784654.jpeg
    D95CE04D-F09C-4F3D-ADB5-F8AF85784654.jpeg
    773.2 KB · Views: 22
I found these in Maine growing on the bottom of a tree. I thought they were chicken of the woods, can anyone confirm?
Telltale chicken of the woods on an oak stump and a fine specimen! Harvest it and freeze a what you don’t eat. Eat in small portions to see how your body likes it. I love the stuff.

It’s going to be a great year for mushrooms. I can’t believe how early this stuff is showing up. I just started picking early low bush blueberries.
View attachment 499212
Beefsteak!!!
View attachment 499213
The only one you can eat raw.

I also found this chicken of the woods. It’s a little tired, but it’s pretty early for this stuff.
View attachment 499214
Seriously! I’ve seen some great variety so far and a very nice chick of the woods that is young and tender.
D9FE9AF7-A02C-43E2-BB42-F8FAC4C2A683.jpeg
Red Belted Polypore! Fomitopsis Pinicola
354CA064-CD86-44DB-9B72-C35881402E21.jpeg

@Medicine Man

I’m on vacation for 2 weeks out of state and I’m curious as to whether I should harvest that chicken of the woods now or wait until end of this month. That picture above is about 1.5 weeks old and just 2 days I was there and it’s doubled in size. I just don’t want to miss this opportunity.

Those should dry out nicely.
They are currently vacuumed sealed and freezing as we speak. I won’t get back to eating them until August. What I thaw out I will then decide whether to dry some out to rehydrate later in a soup or something but man do I love this coated in a mixture of flour/salt/pepper and fried in a cast iron pan!

Last edited:
I wish I trusted myself to know the right ones to pick. I’d love to try that.
This one is the most flamboyant fungi out there. It’s the best one to cut your teeth on.

Just to add this: the pic of the log a few posts above was on 7/2 and I harvested them today on 7/7 so that will give you an idea of how much they grow over a 5 day period.

Last edited:
Okay so I decided to harvest some of it and it’s good I did. Being a smaller oak log the relative size of the laetiporus sulphureus would be minimal. These are gonna be delish.
View attachment 500038
View attachment 500039
You did the right thing. I would have played it the same way. Two weeks is a long time in the mushroom world. Especially with choice mushrooms like that. We’re not the only ones eating this stuff.
They look fantastic.

You did the right thing. I would have played it the same way. Two weeks is a long time in the mushroom world. Especially with choice mushrooms like that. We’re not the only ones eating this stuff.
They look fantastic.
Any idea on the best way to extract the benefits from the red belted polypore?
CCA965AF-CA9A-4B1D-AC51-57F3EA370ED8.jpeg

Any idea on the best way to extract the benefits from the red belted polypore?
View attachment 500093
You must live near a hemlock grove.

Generally, mushrooms are a little more difficult process than medicinal plants.
It’s a three step process.

Using fresh mushrooms.

First, slice the mushroom into strips. The smaller the better. Place strips in a jar and cover with straight grain alcohol. I use an organic grain alcohol that gets bootlegged to me, but ever clear works. MA has some screwy laws regarding grain alcohol so you may need to drive closer to the border to get it.
Cover the mushroom slices with the alcohol and let it sit for 24 hours.
Strain and put the alcohol aside.

Second step:

Take the marc or alcohol soaked mushroom pieces and decoct (simmer) them in water for 24 hours. The idea is to end up with the same amount of water decoction as alcohol. Keep simmering until they’re equal but at least 24 hours.

Step three:

Mix the alcohol, water, and marc into one jar, cover and let it sit for two weeks, gently shaking it every day. Strain and bottle. It’s now ready to use.

A word on alcohol.
Some medicine is easy to make. Pine needle tea couldn’t get simpler. Pour hot water over pine needles and let it sit for fifteen minutes. Drink.

Different solvents work differently and sometimes (like above) we use more than one. Some basic solvents are; water, alcohol, glycerin, heat, and even sugar.

When using alcohol, it is important to consider the water content of the herb. If you’re using dry material, you may need to add water to alcohol so it won’t destroy the compounds you’re looking to extract.

Mushrooms are generally processed wet. Alcohol will extract water as well as the compounds. Even using 190 proof grain alcohol in the above example will result in a final mixture about 120 proof.

This is important for a few reasons, but most importantly because it alters the efficacy of your extractions. We use grain alcohol because it’s as close to pure alcohol (200 proof) as we can get and can be made any proof dependent upon the water content of the herbs and additional water added.

Medicine making is as much an art as science. I believe a lot of the studies done on herbs often neglect this point. For example, some stuff needs to be processed in the field. Waiting to process it until you get home loses most of the medical benefits.

Comparing two medicines made from the same plant but processed differently will result in inconclusive results and is largely the reason information on herbs is all over the place. Pharmacy used to include medicine making. Not anymore.

ETA: Hi ATF and Maura, I’m joking about the bootlegging, please stand down.

Last edited:
You must live near a hemlock grove.

Generally, mushrooms are a little more difficult process than medicinal plants.
It’s a three step process.

Using fresh mushrooms.

First, slice the mushroom into strips. The smaller the better. Place strips in a jar and cover with straight grain alcohol. I use an organic grain alcohol that gets bootlegged to me, but ever clear works. MA has some screwy laws regarding grain alcohol so you may need to drive closer to the border to get it.
Cover the mushroom slices with the alcohol and let it sit for 24 hours.
Strain and put the alcohol aside.

Second step:

Take the marc or alcohol soaked mushroom pieces and decoct (simmer) them in water for 24 hours. The idea is to end up with the same amount of water decoction as alcohol. Keep simmering until they’re equal but at least 24 hours.

Step three:

Mix the alcohol, water, and marc into one jar, cover and let it sit for two weeks, gently shaking it every day. Strain and bottle. It’s now ready to use.

A word on alcohol.
Some medicine is easy to make. Pine needle tea couldn’t get simpler. Pour hot water over pine needles and let it sit for fifteen minutes. Drink.

Different solvents work differently and sometimes (like above) we use more than one. Some basic solvents are; water, alcohol, glycerin, heat, and even sugar.

When using alcohol, it is important to consider the water content of the herb. If you’re using dry material, you may need to add water to alcohol so it won’t destroy the compounds you’re looking to extract.

Mushrooms are generally processed wet. Alcohol will extract water as well as the compounds. Even using 190 proof grain alcohol in the above example will result in a final mixture about 120 proof.

This is important for a few reasons, but most importantly because it alters the efficacy of your extractions. We use grain alcohol because it’s as close to pure alcohol (200 proof) as we can get and can be made any proof dependent upon the water content of the herbs and additional water added.

Medicine making is as much an art as science. I believe a lot of the studies done on herbs often neglect this point. For example, some stuff needs to be processed in the field. Waiting to process it until you get home loses most of the medical benefits.

Comparing two medicines made from the same plant but processed differently will result in inconclusive results and is largely the reason information on herbs is all over the place. Pharmacy used to include medicine making. Not anymore.
Thank you so much 🙏🏻

Went foraging today on Wellesley Island NY.
Great find of chanterelles, black trumpets, king boletes, slippery jacks, rosy russulas, amanitas, and more. One of the cooler finds was Witch’s Hat which causes visual hallucinations, diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. 098E627F-7EE9-4319-B512-F97F302B8D3D.jpeg DA635D7B-67B4-491D-AB38-417856E1D973.jpeg 8DB4D769-9539-4C4A-BC79-D0C9139C1421.jpeg 9ED93A53-D382-4CB9-B4B0-01AF360048C5.jpeg 8D2B0335-1E4E-4DCC-9AB3-C8C3AB31EC88.jpeg 8236ED9A-E017-4CEE-8904-8ED9C1A76B2A.jpeg DDB3C05C-C24D-4201-B3E8-E54BA36CB1EA.jpeg F41FE8B5-2CB6-47A1-A5D1-1BB5786B1DAD.jpeg E3095AB7-3158-4044-A199-1FD5C3D27184.jpeg 73DEAD2A-DAC6-4C8E-814F-14CB30C45683.jpeg

Last edited:
Such an unprecedented fungi season. Really loving the edibles out there! Bolete edulis and bratwurst for dinner tnite.

Blueberries and Blackberries are doing very well in a fairly pour soil condition. We planted last spring and the blackberries have already created half a dozen new runner/sprouts. This surprised me after only one year and we do zero fertilization or watering. We started picking fully ripened berries last week.

I'm going to plant more of these and try to line the entire driveway eventually. They are currently fenced in to protect them from deer until I feel they have spread out enough.

20210713_191131.jpg 20210713_191127.jpg 20210713_191117.jpg 20210713_191112.jpg 20210713_191121.jpg

Blueberries and Blackberries are doing very well in a fairly pour soil condition. We planted last spring and the blackberries have already created half a dozen new runner/sprouts. This surprised me after only one year and we do zero fertilization or watering. We started picking fully ripened berries last week.

I'm going to plant more of these and try to line the entire driveway eventually. They are currently fenced in to protect them from deer until I feel they have spread out enough.

View attachment 503360View attachment 503361View attachment 503362View attachment 503363View attachment 503364
Looks like the soil is not an issue at all. If I was a deer I’d be all over those.

Back
Top Bottom