• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Homesteading Skills

Not knowing you. We all are here because of guns. I haven’t shot anything yet But I have slaughtered my chickens. Have you ever killed something and prepared it? It does take a mindset to get through that. I procrastinate every time I have to do it but in the end it’s satisfying that I raised my own food.

Another thing you need is a good water source. Gardens don’t grow with out it.
I’m in a lowland transition point between a hardwood ridge and mixed hardwood/hemlock wetland where I plan to build a home. Neighbor across the street has an aquifer with excellent quality water that is good enough to have far off friends and family fill up jugs when they visit. I expect to hit that same aquifer since aI sit a bit lower in elevation and I have some springs in various spots around my land with one dugwell that is full 3/4 of the year.

If and when I get a well dug for potable water I wonder what other options I can add on if I hit flow rates above 100gpm.

Not knowing you. We all are here because of guns. I haven’t shot anything yet But I have slaughtered my chickens. Have you ever killed something and prepared it? It does take a mindset to get through that. I procrastinate every time I have to do it but in the end it’s satisfying that I raised my own food.
Me?

Well, I’ve killed, skinned, quartered, and butchered my own deer over the last 2 years. Done the same with squirrels many times and a pheasant once. I have 6 chickens and the bossy australorp will be table fare in the next 2 weeks.

I like pickled eggs... and this video.

Long-term and tasty way of preserving chicken seeds...

This one looks tangy...

Last edited:
@djbradles IS the "Chaga Whisperer"...

If you are into the Primitive Arts... chaga is the original Tinder Fungus. (Otzi the Iceman had hoof fungus fomes fomentarius, sometimes called "false tinder fungus" in his tinder pouch.)

fomes fomentarius...
1625014192103.png

Last edited:
@djbradles IS the "Chaga Whisperer"...

If you are into the Primitive Arts... chaga is the original Tinder Fungus. (Otzi the Iceman had horseshoe fungus fomes fomentarius, sometimes called "false tinder fungus" in his tinder pouch.)

fomes fomentarius...
View attachment 497310

You’ve done you research @enbloc! I had some of that horseshoe fungus in my pocket the other day just like Otzi.

Yeah, Otzi is a very interesting character. Medicine Man and DJ would make him proud!

On a side note; after playing with Hoof fungus for a few weeks in different iterations, I was able to soften and stretch the Amadou into quite a soft and flexible hank of suede.
Kinda looks like the stuff they make the hats from in Corund.
A very pleasing feel...

1625020212425.png
Paul Stamets, mycologist wearing an Amadou Hat. (lol, a mushroom hat)

Long term solution to storing raw unwashed home-raised eggs:

Only thing I didn't go for was the Home Depot Construction Grade Slaked Lime because it is not food grade and will have a ton of impurities that they (HD) are not concerned about.

Pickling Lime is the way to go...

Bulk: Pickling Lime | Bulkfoods.com

12-month follow up:

More about "Water Glassing" eggs... Water Glassing Eggs for Long-Term Storage - Backyard Poultry

One more video... (I clipped it at water-glassing, but if you go back you can find other less, dependable methods for preserving eggs in the 1700's)

Last edited:
I am doing this. I have 300 eggs stored I'm holding for a year to try. I think Nov is when we sorted them. We get 15-25 eggs per day
Wow. With that many eggs do you pickle any? I've always loved pickled eggs...

Here's a video about large volume pickled egg storage in Alaska.
That house must smell RIPE in the dead of an Alaskan Winter...

Lol. At 12:21 dood is feeding chickens with a rosco strapped to his hip. #AlaskaFree

Like the dangers of uneducated mushrooming, Poke Weed needs to be understood and properly prepared...

NOTE: If you've never gone mushroom hunting for fear of picking the WRONG fungus... Cooking and Eating Poke Weed is probably not for you...

More Poke Sallet cooking videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cooking+poke+greens

I constantly have to tell people not to bother with poke.
I have eaten a lot of wild greens. It is not uncommon for me to munch as I hike.
The difference between poke you can eat and poke that’s just too old is a very fine line.
I’ve tasted several poisonous plants. Poke is the only one that scared me.

Exactly. Poke weed is food for the desperate. The poor. The hungry. I've always felt that it is important to know what and how to eat things that others wont when times turn to crap.

Folks who lived during the Great Depression and who live in places like Appalachia, who know how to prepare it safely, and consume it safely.
While I prefer organic baby spinach wilted in bacon fat and caramelized onions with fresh ground pepper and a touch of pink himalayan , I also know how to cook and eat poke...

It's so toxic, they have nutritional data on it:

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy84 kJ (20 kcal)
Carbohydrates3.1 g
Sugars1.6 g
Dietary fiber1.5 g
Fat0.4 g
Protein2.3 g
VitaminsQuantity%DV
Vitamin A equiv.
beta-Carotene
lutein zeaxanthin
54%
435 μg
48%
5200 μg
1747 μg
Thiamine (B1)6%
0.07 mg
Riboflavin (B2)21%
0.25 mg
Niacin (B3)7%
1.1 mg
Vitamin B69%
0.111 mg
Vitamin C99%
82 mg
Vitamin K103%
108 μg
MineralsQuantity%DV
Calcium5%
53 mg
Iron9%
1.2 mg
Magnesium4%
14 mg
Manganese16%
0.336 mg
Phosphorus5%
33 mg
Potassium4%
184 mg
Sodium1%
18 mg

And, So toxic they canned it!

View attachment 498302
I think you missed the point of my post.

Wouldn't be the first time I missed the point... How so?

Wouldn't be the first time I missed the point... How so?
Buying poke in a can is not the same as picking it up from the wild.
As you know, poke is edible for only a short time and even then requires special preparation to ensure its safety. Mistakes can be deadly.
Posting poke on a general thread about eating wild plants is reckless as you have no control over who may read your post nor their experience in the wild.

My point was that there are a ton of benign plants people can easily identify and eat and our lack of knowledge of the capacity of our audience requires that we err on the side of caution to prevent mishap and show respect to the fine folks who put this site up.

Buying poke in a can is not the same as picking it up from the wild.
As you know, poke is edible for only a short time and even then requires special preparation to ensure its safety. Mistakes can be deadly.
Posting poke on a general thread about eating wild plants is reckless as you have no control over who may read your post nor their experience in the wild.

My point was that there are a ton of benign plants people can easily identify and eat and our lack of knowledge of the capacity of our audience requires that we err on the side of caution to prevent mishap and show respect to the fine folks who put this site up.
Done.

I give my dogs raw Perdue chicken quarters, ( leg thigh and back) about once a week or so. Bought on sale @ $3.98 for a ten pound bag. I filled the cart with them and then into the freezer.

They get the benefit of the collagen in the skin and bone joints, the calcium in the bones, the protien in the meat and the fats. Its easily digested and along with some kibble makes a healthy diet.
They always seem more satisfied after eating one.
Look into getting chicken backs. We buy 40 pound frozen cases from a couple of local butchers. They start at $.99/lbs. They're higher at one shop that cuts them up in to 5 lbs blocks. We grind some up with other ingrediants to make dog food and give the pups whole backs every day as well.

I bought an old two man saw today. Going to clean it up, hand make new oak handles and show my son how to use it with me to cut some logs up that I'm going to make firepit benches out of
My father had one of those. I'm not sure of it's origin, he was born and raised in Oregon. A couple years back my brother took the saw to France to hang in his barn. I couldn't really say much, I got the house and land!
I am doing this. I have 300 eggs stored I'm holding for a year to try. I think Nov is when we sorted them. We get 15-25 eggs per day
Why do you store and preserve eggs when you have producing hens? We're up to seven eggs a day from eleven young hens, most of whom aren't quite old enough to lay. Our slightly older hens gave us eggs all winter, so there's a steady source which enough for the two of us and the two pups. And we eat a lot of eggs! I expect we'll trade the excess when we get there.

Mostly it's an experiment to see how we would store food in a SHTF situation. Our hens lay in winter but only due to artificial light helping keep them regulated and a steady diet of supplemental food.

In an isolation situation, we would want to save eggs in high production summer months in preparation of low winter production and the need to hatch more chicks in early spring.

On top of that food is always a great commodity for trading, and storing it is important if needed as a trading staple.

Back
Top Bottom