Homemade Silica Gel container

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

I picked up some Hydrosorbent Silica Gel from Cabelas. One small aluminum tin and the big box:

i220673sq01.jpg

Anyone know how I can spread the gel around to all my ammo cans? I'm thinking baby food jars with lots of small holes cut in the tops. Maybe Altoids tins, again with lots of tiny holes? Someone know where I can pick up packs like the ones that silica usually comes in for electronics?

thanks,
Chuck

Ah, you beat me to it. Google just hit on a survivalist blog on how to keep your years supply of rice dry. Coffee filters were indeed recommended. I'm afraid the tape could dry out and then you've got this sand all over what ever is in the ammo can.

-= chuck

Ah, you beat me to it. Google just hit on a survivalist blog on how to keep your years supply of rice dry. Coffee filters were indeed recommended. I'm afraid the tape could dry out and then you've got this sand all over what ever is in the ammo can.

-= chuck

Tea bags??

Not a bad idea! I just found some online that you can seal shut with an iron. Polyester blend of some sort. If the mesh is small enough the silica can't get through it would work great.

-= chuck

I've also known people to use regular socks to hold the stuff.

Instead of the usual "silica gel", I'm using "flower drying crystals" from AC Moore. It was a heck of a lot cheaper, even if it is like dusty sand, and required better containment.

I put it into recycled hot&sour soup containers with holes punched in the cover with a piece of paper towel inside the top to hold the dust inside. I went plinking with some 10 year old .22, 45, and 5.56 NATO a couple of weeks ago without any negative side effects.

I have also "recharged" the silica gel by heating it in an oven so that the water evaporated out. You don't have to go far past 212 F and don't want to get near the melting point of any containers you don't pull the stuff out of.

Something you want to tell us Jon? [smile]

In defense of a Brother . . .

I learned about the use of old pantyhose for polishing leather to a high gloss from some military friends. Came in mighty handy when I worked as a PO to keep the shoes shined. I still use it on those rare occasions that I polish a pair of shoes (my usual shoes are Tevas or running shoes, neither are "shineable {maybe a new word? [wink] }").

That's just what they told you Len, but no matter how you cut it, there is NO need for polishing the insides of your shoes by wearing pantyhose! [devil]

Back
Top Bottom