• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

homemade handgun rack

i'm looking to make some more room in my gun safe and have been thinking about a pistol rack. i am not a huge fan of the quality or prices of what ive seen in person for the off the shelf stuff. so, has anyone out there built there own? i am also considering something for the door but dont want to affect the fire rating and the clearance is tight between my shelves, dividers & the door. any help or tips would be appreciated!
GOT PICS?

I think my wife brought these home from one of her yard sale sprees. Check out building 19 or Job lot in the houseware department.
100_4809.jpg

100_4810.jpg

Would recommend that you take this opportunity to go green..... In addition to all the great benefits there is an excellent thread in the members only section that shows a number of homebrew handgun rack options for your safe....[smile]

A lot of times folks (myself included) don't want to post too much showing our collections in the open due to the frequent presence of trolls.... [troll]

Once you are green you can use this link to the thread....

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/118573-Organizing-the-Safe?highlight=

Last edited:
I use the plastic letter sorters that you can get at Staples and such. Here's a link to an example:
http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/desk-accessories-organizers/product-prod3290398

The nice thing about the plastic is it doesn't retain moisture so the contact points with your hardware will not rust, unlike if it was covered in carpet or felt or some other fabric. Plus they are inexpensive in the $3-$5 range, compact and hold about 4 or 5 handguns each.

Would recommend that you take this opportunity to go green..... In addition to all the great benefits there is an excellent thread in the members only section that shows a number of homebrew handgun rack options for your safe....[smile]

A lot of times folks (myself included) don't want to post too much showing our collections in the open due to the frequent presence of trolls.... [troll]

Once you are green you can use this link to the thread....

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/118573-Organizing-the-Safe?highlight=

"go green?"

Hand gun storage

Get the Midway #784972 Peg Board Rack. It comes with a stainless steel two hole mount so you don't need a peg board. You then can mount multiple racks either on the safe door, or on the wood partitions in the safe. In the space of two long guns you can store up to 24+ handguns. They cost about $7.00, but considering the price of what you are storing, it's worth it.

for storage in the safe i bought a handful of sleeves for the pistols i own

and stack them together on a shelf, no recommendations for the door.

someone did modify a door safe and it came out real nice,

For a Do It Yourself Project, here are some thoughts:

1) A rack that mounts to the bottom of a shelf (using otherwise unused space). Can build it from 2 pieces of 1/2" thick hardwood or standed 1 by (typically 3/4" to 7/8" thick).
Make it about 5" inside height to handle the height of most guns (increase if needed for your specific guns), using the same wood for the side pieces as the top and bottom.
Using a 1/8" thick saw blade (standard carbide circular saw) cut matching slots 1/4" deep into top and bottom (might consider cutting the top and bottom out of 1 piece of wood and cutting the slots before you cut them in half to assure they line up) Space slots 2" on center (you can go as narrow as 1/2" on center if you want to be able to adjust them for each gun, to 2" on center to cover most handguns (except larger revolvers)
Cut a set of 3/32" thick basswood or hobby project hardwood pieces to work as slots.
If you want to hold the barrel of a specific gun up, cut a 2 by (1 3/4" thick) piece of hard wood to make an underbarrel spacer

2) For hanging from the back fo the door, I've always liked hooks that are designed to hook into the trigger guard and allow the gun to hang upside down from the hook.

3) You could add a board with a series of belt-straps down the back of the door to store handguns in holsters as if they were on a belt. Depends on how you feel about storing firearms in holsters, but it does keep them with their holsters if you need them (like rotating your daily carry pistol)

Back
Top Bottom