Homemade Cerakote/Finishing Oven

DrRansom

Instructor
Last week, while we weren't sitting out in the woods waiting for deer to walk by, my brother and I built a DIY finishing oven so that we could do some refinishing of various things. Took a few vids so that people could laugh at us afterwards.

[video=youtube_share;BWPjcnO3kjA]http://youtu.be/BWPjcnO3kjA[/video]

Will post the finished pics of the other stuff we coated.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very cool ! nice job. what are your rental fees going to be? Wifey will beat me with my own tore off arm if I try to do this in her oven.
Let us know about the durabilty of the coating

Here's some of the other stuff that came out of the oven; a RAT3 and a preban mag.

20121130_194837.jpg

So what is the pupose of the relay? Does the controls pack kill power to the hot plate to maintain a set temp? That is what I was thinking you were doing, but then I heard you say that they had a separate plug.

This is a pretty sweet set up, might have to copy it a bit for a powder coating oven. The pawn shop toaster oven is getting out grown fast.

[cerberus];2721300 said:
So what is the pupose of the relay? Does the controls pack kill power to the hot plate to maintain a set temp? That is what I was thinking you were doing, but then I heard you say that they had a separate plug.

This is a pretty sweet set up, might have to copy it a bit for a powder coating oven. The pawn shop toaster oven is getting out grown fast.

The relay handles the power transfer to the box (and then hot plate), the controller only handles the logic and isn't set up to handle that much power/heat.

Yes, the controller kills power to the hot plate, but via the relay and then we stuck that switch/outlet in there as well - so we have an additional method to kill power to the plate if we want, that doesn't kill power to the controller...just in case we wanted to maintain the temp readout. Plus it puts the outlet closer to the floor, those hot plates have very short power cords for some reason.

Nice job!

How much did it cost for all the materials?

Thanks. I probably had

$35 in the controller,
$50 in sheet metal/aluminum, and maybe
$50 in furring strips/plywood,
$30 in flue/takeoff stuff,
$20 in electrical,
$20 for gasket, and then maybe another
$30 in random small parts and hardware?

But then, it did get a little out of hand. ;) Some of that stuff probably wasn't necessary (like, for instance, making it so damn big).

Nice work. What happened to the stock? Did it melt at the intake? Would a larger diffuser have helped?

Don't think so. Way more details on the POS stock in the other thread:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ly-destroyed-my-HS-Precision-stock?highlight=

But, you can see in the below pic the foam between the aluminum frame and the thin layer of fiberglass - that, I assume is what "reactivates". I don't think any change in the heat pattern would affect that, but I haven't done any actual experimentation. Nor will I, I've seen enough to know that I don't need any more of those stocks. ;)

2012-12-02212218.jpg

That's a very cool DYI job! I have had an old drop in oven sitting on a dolly in my garage for probably 8 years that I intended to set up for powdercoating automotive stuff but never took the time to set it up. This gives me some inspiration - thanks!

Wow! What a nice job. Well done on your movie producing too.

How many watts is the hot plate?

What is the required temperature that you maintain? Am I right in assuming the power to the hot plate cycles and controls the temperature per your requirements?

Rich

The relay handles the power transfer to the box (and then hot plate), the controller only handles the logic and isn't set up to handle that much power/heat.

Yes, the controller kills power to the hot plate, but via the relay and then we stuck that switch/outlet in there as well - so we have an additional method to kill power to the plate if we want, that doesn't kill power to the controller...just in case we wanted to maintain the temp readout. Plus it puts the outlet closer to the floor, those hot plates have very short power cords for some reason.

Ok gotcha, that is what I thought. I must have confused myself.

Wow! What a nice job. Well done on your movie producing too.

Thanks. Took a lot of beer, I'll admit. The mic on my phone does a poor job of conveying how manly and awesome I sound, but it's ok for youtube. ;)

How many watts is the hot plate?

Not sure? I think it was this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Brentwood-App...TF8&qid=1354899376&sr=8-22&keywords=hot+plate

What is the required temperature that you maintain? Am I right in assuming the power to the hot plate cycles and controls the temperature per your requirements?

Depends on application. Cerakote is 150 for polymer, 300 for quick cure, anywhere in between is probably ok. Destroying HS Precision stocks is about 125.

The controller has configurable hysteresis - meaning, that you can tell it how much of a window it should turn on and off in. Currently, we have it set to +/- 10 degrees or so. You don't want it much smaller, cause it tends to flicker the power to the hot plate a bit.

...So when are you going to start offering finishing services to NES Green members? [wink]

I think I want to buy a new blasting cabinet first - we were using the small Grizzly cabinet, and while it worked, it didn't cycle material that well, and seemed to leak a bunch of it.

If I decide to do any spraying for folks, NES will be the first to hear about it. ;)

Friends of mine in the rice bike community that have gotten into powder coating at home have gone out and found yard sale ovens and put them in the garage to use for powder coating.

Large enough to get most bike parts into, and the wife doesn't go ballistic when you fill the kitchen with fumes and such

Back
Top Bottom