• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Homemade Case Feeder NOW WITH PICS

RugerSlinger

NES Member
First off, has anyone made one with success?

I am on my first prototype and it is going OK. I am going to get bashed because I dont have any pics right now but I hope to have some up tomorrow. It is very crude looking right now but I really wanted to see if it was possible before I made it pretty.

I have the basics down right now,
I used a 5 gallon bucket as the container
I have some thin Plexiglass and some 1/4" thick for the shell holders
I used the thin plexiglass as a shoot down to the holding tube on my 650
I have a few different switches that I haven't figured out how to use yet. A normal micro switch and a beam break switch out of a paintball hopper. If someone knows how to make a beam break one, please oh please help me with this because this is what I really want to do.

I have about 30 hours into this thing already so it isn't worth engineering this thing yourself. If I do get it to work i will be glad to help others make them if interested.

As of right now I am at a stand still waiting on a new motor I just ordered but my current setup works. I am using a small motor out of an old circular display case that makes it spin. It is low enough RPM but not enough torque, I can load about a hand full of 40s and 45s and it will work perfectly. It loads them all standing strait up faster than I can reload them, I have been using it like this because I am too impaitient to wait for the new motor. I have already been through 2 different motors. The first one I used was a window motor out of an 04 Grand Am. It was way more torque than I needed but it was way to fast. I tried lowering the voltage but then it didn't have enough balls.

I am hoping this new motor works because I ordered 3 of them, that is how confident that it will work. I am planning on making 2 for myself for my 650s and not sure what to do with the spare motor right now. I hope they will be in by Friday so I can have a final product done over the weekend.

I will post some pics and vids tomorrow.
BTW I only have $20 into this project right now but with the new motor I will be in for almost $60. I was trying to build it for under $30. Now I have way to much time into this to give up and buy the dillon one. [hmmm]
2011-02-16%2019.41.53.jpg

2011-02-16%2019.43.47.jpg

2011-02-16%2019.42.09.jpg

2011-02-16%2019.43.15.jpg

Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough to critique based on what I have read so far but for the money you have invested you are way ahead of the game. Can't wait to see it.

Kudos to you.

Nice work! Seriously. You need some gearing for the motor to get the torque up. Start with a high speed motor and gear down the rotations. I'll have to google around for gear boxes. American science and surplus might have something. The windshield wiper motor was a good call though. Lots of torque.

You need a clutch on the plate, too, so that the plate can slip when it binds. Otherwise you'll strip a gear or burn out the motor. Maybe that will help with the torque issue.

For an electric eye, there's an infrared electric eye project kit I use for my annual haunted house. I'll see if I can find it online and post back here. But it's maybe $20 and you have to be able to solder.

When I'm back at my computer, I'll post some more.

(sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know)

Nice work! Seriously. You need some gearing for the motor to get the torque up. Start with a high speed motor and gear down the rotations. I'll have to google around for gear boxes. American science and surplus might have something. The windshield wiper motor was a good call though. Lots of torque.

You need a clutch on the plate, too, so that the plate can slip when it binds. Otherwise you'll strip a gear or burn out the motor. Maybe that will help with the torque issue.

For an electric eye, there's an infrared electric eye project kit I use for my annual haunted house. I'll see if I can find it online and post back here. But it's maybe $20 and you have to be able to solder.

When I'm back at my computer, I'll post some more.

(sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know)

I have a new motor on order that puts out 120 in/lbs. I think that this should be fine. If you can find an eye kit let me know, I have been looking but to no avail.

Thanks Guys, I will keep you guys posted

I have a new motor on order that puts out 120 in/lbs. I think that this should be fine. If you can find an eye kit let me know, I have been looking but to no avail.

Thanks Guys, I will keep you guys posted

This is it. I don't know anything about this vendor, but this is the kit I use. I buy them locally at You Do It electronics, but they are more expensive in the store. (Everything is more expensive at You Do It.)

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/irlightbarrierkit.aspx?MMP=101PUW1PQNK

It sets off a buzzer when you break the beam. The buzzer is a 9V output. You can replace the buzzer with an SPDT relay (6 or 9V coil) and wire up the normally closed side to the motor. When the beam is tripped, the relay will open and shut off the motor. Not sure what voltage you are using to drive the motor, but obviously make sure the relay contacts are rated for the voltage. The other mod you'll need to make is put the IR transmitter and receiver LED's on either side of the feed tube rather than putting both circuit boards up there. The LEDs are modulated and very bright, too. I haven't tried the circuit at very close range. I usually put them 3 ft or so apart.

Finally, there are industrial electric eyes available from Goldmine:

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/products.asp?dept=1202

These are for automation equipment. I have one of them, but I haven't done anything with it yet.

How do you make the rotating plate?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom