• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Homemade Bubba Carbine

If anybody is interested, this is where I got a lot of the inspiration for this rifle:

I was originally thinking of doing a red stock like this guy did, but decided I liked the natural look. I also skipped the bipod, I thought that was kinda dumb.

This is the Brass Stacker front sight mount that I used:

http://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/front-sight-adapter-ring/

The factory front sight was really loose in the oversized Brass Stacker dovetail, so I ended up buying a new front sight from this guy:

http://www.smith-sights.com/

The Gold Standard adjustable sight happened to be on sale for $25 the day I was looking. I got that, with the optional wide base. It fit into the Brass Stacker mount nice and solid.

It sucked to have to spend ~$50 just to get the front sight back on, but that was the extent of my investment in this project.

I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet. Hopefully this weekend. I have about 5 rifles that have been bought, modified, or reconfigured, that I haven't had the chance to shoot yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to hear the range report on this gun, please video your first shots for us!

Damnit, this project makes me wish I hadn't sold my 91/30 cause I was looking for an M44. I too am on the wait for fireball pics/video [smile]

I have had this to the range a couple of times, but I was by myself, so no pics. It does seem to throw a pretty decent fireball. I really like the gold-tip front sight. It's narrower than a standard sight, and easier to see. I haven't shot any rounds from a rest yet, so I don't know how it groups. I'll try some serious shooting next time I get it to the range.

It needs a Scout Scope; Modest Recoil Pad—like those ones enterprising folks make out of Zoris (What the unwashed and vulgar insist on calling "Flip-Flops"...), and about a 1" Vortex Flash-Hider.

Saxon Violence

I love it!! I just ordered 2 more 91/30s yesterday. One of them will likely end up getting "hacked up" like yours. I just hope I can do close to as nice a job as you have!! Thanks for that link to the YouTube vid as well.

I've bought two additional mosins in the last year sight unseen. Hoping for one I could butcher. They both ended up being excellent. Too nice to hack.

Still looking for the elusive $75 mosin with a dinged muzzle and a crappy stock

One last photo. I've had this to the range several times, and it is a lot of fun. I just put a 'real' scope mount on my 91/30 that had a scout scope setup on it, so I decided to move the scout scope to this one. It's just mounted using 3/8" dovetail rings. I also cut a slot in the front for a sling, and added the buttstock shell holder.

One last photo. I've had this to the range several times, and it is a lot of fun. I just put a 'real' scope mount on my 91/30 that had a scout scope setup on it, so I decided to move the scout scope to this one. It's just mounted using 3/8" dovetail rings. I also cut a slot in the front for a sling, and added the buttstock shell holder.

That's awesome.

Back
Top Bottom