• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Homemade Bubba Carbine

I don't dare post this in the Milsurp forum. This is something I had been thinking of doing for a long time, and I finally sacked up and did it.

This started out as a run of the mill 91/30, with non-matching, electropencil serial numbers and counterbored barrel. This was a $99 gun that had no sentimental value for me, and I have at least 2 others just like it.

I wanted to have a really short 91/30, so I cut the barrel down to 17", but I wanted the stock to still look like a 91/30. I took about 11" off the stock and relocated the front barrel band and retainer so it still kind of looks like a Mosin. I stripped the old finish off with citrus stripper, and smoothed out the wood with 600 grit and fine steel wool, then refinished with boiled linseed oil.

I used the Brass Stacker front sight mount to relocate the original sight to it's new home.

It is about 2" shorter than my M44 carbine, but probably about a pound lighter.

Edit: Official measurements - overall length is 37" and weight is 7.5 pounds.

I haven't shot it yet, but I expect the recoil to be awesome.

I am fully prepared to be flamed and neg-repped for this, but I think it came out kinda cool.

Comparison to one of it's unmolested brethren:

Last edited:
**** yea. Just don't try to sell it on Gunbroker as an "officer's model" or some shit... [wink]

That's bad ass. Anyone who negs you for that is a pussy. Looks really nice and I would love to have the skill/ability to do something like that. Well done!

Nice! She's gonna be a fire breathing dragon that kicks like a mule! Can't wait to hear the range report.

That is a nice looking rifle.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

nice, unless you are planning on stopping MA staties on horseback, there is no reason for a rifle that long.

There are reload data to use faster powder for shorter Mosin rifles. I bet that it would shoot better too with less barrel whip and better balance since it won't be tip heavy.

I think you need to teach a class on refinishing stocks. you always do a great job.

I appreciate the compliment, but I am really a hack. I don't have the patience to really do a nice job. I'm always in a hurry to get things put back together. I don't think I have ever spent more than two days doing a refinish job, and I am constantly touching stuff while it's still tacky.

The one thing that I wish I could have done would be to re-create the sling cutout in the front of the stock. I saved the metal inserts, and I probably could have cut the rectangular hole itself, but I had no confidence that I could make the oval shaped inlay cut for the inserts.

And thanks for all the positive feedback. I didn't get any "you ruined a piece of history" comments at all.

And thanks for all the positive feedback. I didn't get any "you ruined a piece of history" comments at all.

History, you ruined it.

grumpy-cat-good-1_1512.jpg

Back
Top Bottom