Homemade brass polish

This must have been asked in the past but I needed to ask.
I have been useing Dillon brass polish, it works great but the cost and shipping makes it expensive. So I am looking to make my own, so if anyone has there own home made version, please let me know
Thanks
Tackleberry

Get a can of orderless mineral spirits and a bottle of Nu finish car polish. Mix them up, 50/50 or so, this isn't an exact science. Squirt a little in with your tumbling media and enjoy your shiny brass.

112282_front500.jpg030192940068xl.jpg

NuFinish gets the job done and beats any DIY concoction. I stopped caring about the shininess of my brass so I just tumble in corn cob for two hours.

For me the walnut shell media work better than the corn cob, but the NuFinish with the mineral spirit is the way to go.

Couple of hours, and it looks like polished jewelry.

Just to clarify, add the walnut shells, add the nufinish and tumble for a few minutes. Then you can add your brass, otherwise a few shells with clog with nufinish and clog your press (don't ask me how I know that.) Others have suggested adding used dryer sheets to absorb the dirt, I do it, but am not sure of the benefit.

Chris

I have started using my Thumlers Tumbler and it kicks butt. I did almost 800 Lake City 5.56 cases at one time and in one hour they were spotless. A little Lemi-Shine and a squirt of dishwashing liquid and GTG. I'll admit that I installed a laundry sink just to keep the kitchen safe and clean. The gunk in the water is nasty and heads down the drain.

My dry tumbler will collect dust.

Last edited:
Auto parts store has the nuFinish, but Home Depot does not have the walnut shells or corn cob. PET STORE!!!

Note that Target sometimss has a deal on the nuFinish.

Someone posted about using steel wool and a drill motor for hand polishing brass. I did that way back in the 70's when I started. Not very efficient. Didn't take long to get the tumbler going.

Thank you all, I guess I am going to the auto parts store and home depot

Times 2 on the used dryer sheets. They really do suck up alot of crap, particularly if you have some range brass that's on the nasty side.

Back
Top Bottom