• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Homeland Security May Shutdown In Hours, Funding Bill Rejected

The GOP decided to fund them as is for another week - watch something 'big' will happen and they will be able to sleaze by 100% funding (including Executive Amnesty) - because that's what the politicians do.

Side note:
The GOP is also threatening funding for the FCC - see above - [rofl]

Hope they shut down. I spent yesterday watching these asshats in the airport and they spent 20 minutes searching and old lady who could barely walk while waving others thru to . speed up the line...make them what they were before, Security Gaurds.

Regrettably so.

Then it should be pulled out. I swear to God the government does shit like that organizationally for just this reason: so that when all the worthless crap gets called into question - they can go "OMG -but we will lost the Coast Guard!" - and then all the unthinking sheeple read some terrorism headline and think the goat rapers are just sitting off shore waiting to land if the Coast Guard gets shut down.

So these .gov people who get laid off or whatever,do they end up getting back pay after everything is sorted out ?

So it's essentially an unplanned paid vacation ?

Didn't that happen last time?

It's all a big joke.

if they got defunded....would we notice?
It was definitely noticed where I work. I showed up to work last night to a total power outage. Six of us had to basically pry open the security gate to get into the parking lot because it's electronic and has no manual override....because DHS is stupid. Fortunately the generator kept some of the computers running, so I was able to process and deport a decent sized group of illegals. But the lights apparently aren't on that same backup circuit, so everyone was working with headlamps and flashlights. It was actually kinda fun in a way.

It REALLY freaked out the aliens, though. "I want to apply for the amnesty." "Oh, well unfortunaly we can't even afford to keep our lights on, so we definitely can't afford to give you amnesty. I guess you're just gonna have to get deported. Sorry. "

Come to find out that some drunk driver ran into a power pole somewhere, but it was quite the coincidence.

Blame Forum Runner for any typos and such.

Ok so maybe I give you one on that hahah. However, why isn't the CG under DoD?!

Honestly, I think DOD would be a poor choice of foster homes for the CG. Look at some of their missions - search and rescue, fisheries law enforcement, all different other flavors of maritime law enforcement, drug and migrant interdiction, marine inspections, marine environmental protection - these aren't functions that I would trust this government to put under the Department of Defense.
Maybe DOT again. Maybe just reform DHS into a useful entity that serves the citizens and not their chosen masters (not holding my breath. When was the last time a .gov entity was rolled BACK?) I don't know. I'm not that smart, just that skeptical.

they fall under DHS?

God, maybe you should know the beast you are attacking.

Coast Guard
Customs
Border Patrol

The only organization created under DHS was the TSA. Every other organization was already there, some were renamed, but essentially the same organization. DHS simply moved them under one umbrella agency.
Customs was under Treasury, Border Patrol was under DOJ. They worked together, but answered to different people.
edit: Coast Guard was under DOT and DOD depending on war status.

For the record, I'd prefer the old system. Border Patrol lost a lot of assets with the move: Pilots, boat crews and criminal investigators got moved to other agencies and are run by guys who have never walked a trail. The only air assets worth a damn are the legacy PA's that are still flying. Once they retire, air assets will be worthless to the ground pounders.

Last edited:
Funded for a week. I suppose the Repubes are hoping something happens this week elsewhere that will allow them to cave and completely fund it.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20150228/us--congress-homeland-53e9b374a4.html

Hopefully they will start using the same tricks as the Dems and start putting this all on their plate. Bunch if incompetents. Get rid of the fillibuster and put it all on Obama's desk so it is clear who is the party of no. Unfortunately, the bureau of crony capitalism is calling all the shots...

So these .gov people who get laid off or whatever,do they end up getting back pay after everything is sorted out ?

So it's essentially an unplanned paid vacation ?

Yes, 85% are essential so they have to report to work. Then everybody gets paid as soon as they sign a funding bill. Has happened dozens of times and hasn't been a problem. During the last big "shutdown" one, yes one person in the Fed Gov lost their job. And to loose a Fed job you must be a total ahole...

It was definitely noticed where I work. I showed up to work last night to a total power outage. Six of us had to basically pry open the security gate to get into the parking lot because it's electronic and has no manual override....because DHS is stupid. Fortunately the generator kept some of the computers running, so I was able to process and deport a decent sized group of illegals. But the lights apparently aren't on that same backup circuit, so everyone was working with headlamps and flashlights. It was actually kinda fun in a way.

It REALLY freaked out the aliens, though. "I want to apply for the amnesty." "Oh, well unfortunaly we can't even afford to keep our lights on, so we definitely can't afford to give you amnesty. I guess you're just gonna have to get deported. Sorry. "

Come to find out that some drunk driver ran into a power pole somewhere, but it was quite the coincidence.

Blame Forum Runner for any typos and such.

Awesome. Some days at work really are enjoyable.

Seeing as the U.S. Gubmint is broke, did the misguided tourista's get brought back to the border in a donkey cart?

there literally should be no TSA DHS ATF IRS (list continues).

But the most annoying one is "department of 'homeland' security".

This is right out of a huxley or orwell novel. What will we have next, a ministry of information?

The Ministry of Peace concerns itself with war, the Ministry of Plenty: starvation, the Ministry of Truth: lies, and the Ministry of Love: torture.

Back
Top Bottom