1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Home wifi - experience with cell wifi hotspots

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hv55maxx, Dec 5, 2018.

1. hv55maxx

hv55maxx NES Member

Northwest Assachusetts where the dragons be
    I only have access to DSL currently and with the ever growing viewing of Bubble Guppies and PJ Masks, I need more juice.

Comcast/Spectrum/Whatever has service going by my house, but when I built my house 2 years ago, they wanted $10k to give me internet, while I already had conduit run to my house. No trenching necessary, no new equipment or additional lines need be pulled up the road since people on both sides of me have their service. They would have to simply pull lines from road to house and hook up. So at the point that they tried to rape me, fu(k em. They'd be considered trespassing now.

This leaves me with one option (don't want satellite)- I can see an ATT cell tower from my porch so I was thinking of either getting a dumbphone with wifi hotspot, or one of those wifi hotspot devices to connect everything else.

Anyone have any long term experience with either using a cell wifi hotspot or using one of those devices? Reliability? Issues? It would have to be ATT service based on my location. (I won't switch my personal cell from Verizon as I get better service everywhere BUT my house.)

2. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

LTE is dog shit slow (with shit latency) compared to real internet. Do you have a neighbor you like? Maybe you can strike a deal with them to piggyback off their router, and run some fiber over to their house or something.

-Mike

JayMcB likes this.
  3. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I’d inquire again on wired internet service.
    Is the conduit still good? Does it have the pull string or coax in it?

xjma99 likes this.
  4. hv55maxx

hv55maxx NES Member

We are all spread out just enough to be a pain in the a$$ to piggy back. I can't imagine even if LTE is bad, that its worse than my DSL now. One device can be run and that's pushing it. Just trying to figure out something without paying the damn con artists that are Spectrum.

5. hv55maxx

hv55maxx NES Member

Conduit is fine with a pull cord still in it.

It's more out of principle and spite that I refuse to pay them anything after that.

6. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I asked only because its not uncommon for them to split from freezing water. For decent service your going to suffer with anything else but.

Remember. All pain is self inflicted.

7. Greg

Greg NES Member

Bubble guppies and PJ masks ?

8. hv55maxx

hv55maxx NES Member

4 year old and 2.5 year old girls......It's that, or walk around the house with ear pro on all the time.

Greg likes this.
  9. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

He has kids, they’re kid shows, I can sing you the theme songs if you’d like??

I would call spectrum again, it’s your best bet. Pull some coax through yourself if it makes it cheaper. You won’t get any better service than hard wired, period.

I have spectrum, their internet is great and I live at the end of the line. The tv on demand is meh, but better than nothing. The kids love the dvr.

Greg likes this.
  10. Greg

Greg NES Member

Gotcha,cartoons lol

xjma99 likes this.
  11. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Bu-bu-bubble, bubble bubble guppies!! Bubble bubble bubble, bubble bubble guppies!!

Not a horrible show as far as kids shows go, but I do question why fish blow bubbles under the sea and seem to be affected by gravity.....

My favorite kid show by far is Teen Titans Go! Probably not age appropriate for the kids, but we can all watch it!

hv55maxx and Greg like this.
  12. Meehuel

Meehuel

That's what I'm thinking. Pull your own cable and make the point of service something that keeps you from having to pull your pants down.

xjma99 likes this.
  13. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Maybe just a little friction with pants on?? Haha!!!

Not sure how the cable guys figure point of service, it isn’t the same as for an electric service for sure and varies from local to local, but terminating some RG and tying it in to existing utility on street should be covered for any paying or potential paying customers!! Just be sure to have a drain bonded to your electrical bonding system. Coax can pick up voltage, so bond that shit.

Greg likes this.
  14. Dench

Dench

Is comcast offering their fiber in your area yet? If so that might be a good way to eat the cost of an install, since everyone is stuck paying for it who chooses the service. 10k to install to your house is insane unless they have to put their own poles in. Unless the fiber tap is a million miles away the cost to install should be at most a few grand.

As for 4G in the home, I've never had problems with it. I used to use the Verizon 4G sticks and they were really good in my opinion, and this was 5-6 years ago. They can get pricey though and aren't ideal for home use or any sort of streaming since most of the plans will charge by usage.

15. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

How far apart? 2 PoE injectors and EnGeniusENH500 High-Powered, Long Range 5 GHz Wireless N300 Outdoor Client Bridge (2-Pack) and you can do line of site for several hundred feet. Just be aware the neighbor would be violating the ToS for their ISP account bigly. The engenius stuff is remarkable in terms of range for the price.

Review at 700 feet: Not that difficult for Building to building over 700ft. and Two access points.

16. hv55maxx

hv55maxx NES Member

No fiber anywhere near us. We have our own pole then our own conduit buried with a pull rope. This is just highway robbery at its finest. And if this is how they try and attract new clients, I don't feel that I will be treated any better once they have their hooks in my house.

That is a pretty interesting concept. I am really not inclined to rely on other people though. The closest neighbor is nice and hard working and all, I just don't like relying on other people.

17. Nhusa

Nhusa

The low level Comcast/Xfinity guys are useless and seldom tell the truth.
    We have Cable, internet and landline with them.
    I don't have time to tell you about the problems we have had with them over the years.
    Mostly because they try to get us to "upgrade" at no additional cost with no loss of content.
    Whenever they talk us into a change we find that we lose channels and they can't go back to what we had without our spending more money.

Sometimes I can get a bit of satisfaction by insisting that the agent connect me to a supervisor and sometimes the supervisor's supervisor, but takes hours on the phone.
    I keep records of whom I talk with and what was discussed.
    Once I sent a copy to a VP, nicely told them that they had a problem, that I was very unhappy, and was clear about what bothered me.
    I actually got a phone call and some satisfaction, but a few years later it has started all over again.

This time I have decided to get as far away from them as possible.
    Unfortunately Comcast/Xfinity has the best and fastest internet in our community so we are stuck with them for that part.
    BUT, we are changing the landline to basic talk for under $10.00 per month, going to HuluTV for about $40 per month, and continuing with Prime and Netflix.
    The whole package will save us about $100 per month and we don't loose any services.

I realize this doesn't help your internet issue but my suggestion is to take the time to push your need up as far as you can.
    Be the little aggravating stone that doesn't go away, but be nice.
    Get them to re-quote.
    Complain to the home office about the installation cost and let them know who gave you the stupid quote.
    Try to get an outside quote to run the cable/wires.
    Let your town and state utility commission know about the issue.

It will take a bit of work but beating the giant can be rewarding.

xjma99 likes this.
  18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

How much cable are we talking? 100'? 1,000'? 10,000'???

19. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

The industrial park where I work was stuck with underground T1 lines for years. Comcast wanted 10K to trench a few hundred feet to our building. The town brought in horizontal boring machines and ran town fiber to our park and we were thrilled. A year later Comcast came in and dug trenches to the entire park for free! So now we have town fiber and Comcast business (which has been very good).

My point is that things with Comcast can change I would hit them up again. I'm in the same boat with DSL at home and it sucks. If you use the cell network you will very quickly run against their data caps. If you have a line of sight to a neighbor Ubiquiti makes some point to point bridge devices that are $100 each and work great.

20. hv55maxx

hv55maxx NES Member

500ft driveway. ~150ft pole to pole then the rest into conduit to the house.

21. Spanz

Spanz

first, 4g internet sucks moose dong. I am in the hills in CO right now, verizon LTE 2 to 4 bars depending on the time of day (about 6 miles as the crow flies to the tower) and i am barely getting 0.65 mbps download speed and 0.33 mbps upload speed. The fastest download i have seen here so far is just above 1 mbps.

Now SOME of this is based on signal strength. IF you are 1000' away from a cell phone tower with 4g, and get 4 bars on your phone, you will do better.

One thing i noticed advertised out here is a next generation hughes net system, that guarantees 25 mbps speed both ways with no data limit.
    HughesNet® Gen5 | Call 844-737-2700 for High-speed Satellite Internet

i GUARANTEE that will be less than $10K.
    the only question, does the Hughesnet satellite illuminate the northeast, or is it just for the mid west. They DO have specific antenna patterns to optimize their service zone.

And you can use it for 2 years or so until a 5G tower is erected somewhere near you. 5G will have vastly better data rates than the current 4g/LTE.

22. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Those horizontal boring machines are underground electrical conduit magnets!! Many hours of T&M work fixing shit that they hit. Great for our companies bottom line and my wallet!! Not so great for the customers. We do document the damage and tell our customers to go after the company that did the horizontal boring for the costs of our repairs.

23. xtry51

xtry51 NES Member

4G is good some places, terrible others. It's not just the towers setting the speed. In Chicago I get 25-50mb when hot spotting and I can play on Xbox live with 55ms ping thru my phone. If you're driving around NH it's more likely to be <1mb because they threw up a tower to extend range but didn't upgrade anything downstream.

24. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

In this case it was the municipal light plant doing the work and they had good plans for the street. They were pretty anal with the metal detectors when they crossed gas lines and underground power taps.

25. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

Read the fine print....these guys are notorious for not delivering on performance and their customer service is even worse than Comcast and Verizon!

Reptile likes this.
  26. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie

Code compliant trenching with two 2" schedule 40 conduits and pulling customer supplied fiber runs about $18 per foot, including all materials except the fiber. The trenching, laying a sand base, installing intermediate pull points every 300ft, and capping the intermediate pull points with faux rocks was included in that price. This is in an area that is all dirt (no roads to cross), and does not have any other underground utilities.

So, $10K for 500ft is not that far off (though 20% of the price I mentioned was the adder for a second conduit).

When I lived in Ashland, Verizon used a smaller conduit - about 1" that was installed at a shallower level and did not require a backhoe to dig a trench, lay a base, install a plastic "electric line below" (year, I know, a misnomer with fiber) tape just below grade, etc. There was no extra charge for that - the conduit was run from the junction box already at the street but in my yard to the side of my house.

Single mode indoor/outdoor OS2 fiber runs about $.50 per foot, though I expect professionals to pay less than I do.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  27. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

28. scatter

scatter NES Member

Since we moved up on the mountain three years ago we have used cell phone hotspot almost exclusively for internet. Like the OP, we can see a tower from our house (although it, and our phone service, is Verizon). We also have a Hughesnet dish for backup. Hotspotting is at least twice as fast as the dish and I would say about 98% reliable (there are rare days when the cell signal sucks for whatever reason--atmospherics, overload, whatever, but it usually only lasts an hour or so).

We have a grandfathered "true" unlimited data plan, and cannot change anything on the plan without getting data restrictions, so we have not been able to try out any of the dedicated hotspot devices. We did have a couple of Verizon techs tell us that using our cell phones as hotspots constantly would burn them up. Ha. No problems so far and we regularly use the hotspot to cast Netflix to the TV.

I just did a data rate check and saw 14.5 mbps download and 12 mpbs upload.

29. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie

If you do not have the hotspot option, consider PDANET+ from Junefabrics to get the same service. It's free, unless you want access to https sites, in which case it is something like $20. It includes an option to obfuscate your traffic for use with providers that charge extra for tethering. If you use it on a provider that charges extra for tethering, use Chrome anc change your browser type to Android.

As to "I can see a tower". I can see one from my living room window, but my phone does not use that tower. The droid application "Network cell info lite" will show a map with the location of the in-use cell tower, plus a lot of other details about the signal.

30. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

1) PDANET+ is pretty good
    2) There are few sites left that aren't doing https these days