1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Home use power tools, electric or cordless? And what brand?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Radtekk, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

As I have mentioned, I'm moving to Tennessee in a few weeks. Bought a trailer to haul the bike and use on the property. Went out today to attach a tool box for straps, chains, locks, etc. 18v cordless Ryobi I bought about 10 years screwed in one screw and died. Took another battery out of the charger, lasted about a screw and a half and died. Battery 3 did just as bad. All NO-lithium batteries fwiw.
    Cordless drill, circular saw, sawzall, flashlight, radio, fan, bought as a set 10+ years ago. Can (SHOULD?) I buy new batteries instead? Will the new lithium ones work?

Franlly, idgaf about anything other than the drill and saws, so two batteries will likely suffice. I'll be doing some work at the new house, building shelves, workbench, that kind of stuff. NOT commercial use.

If the batteries can't be replaced I'll have to replace the tools. Do I buy cordless or corded? Which brand? I don't mind spending, but I'm not a contractor so I don't need that level of tool.

Thoughts?

Also, if anybody has good used tools of either version they are looking to upgrade, PM me:)

2. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

The newer ryobi lithium ion are hard to beat for the money. Plus the new lithium ion batteries should be compatible with your old tools. Buy a whole new set, it’s like 300 bux!! The newer tools will last longer per charge va old but old will still work.
    I use Milwaukee overpriced but pretty good tools at work every day but two guys I work With have the ryobi and love them
    For home use and light side work. They sometimes bring in the 30 dollar fans and run them if we have to work in an un air conditioned electric room!!

Sparkey likes this.
  3. snax

snax NES Member

I've got Milwaukee cordless that have served me well.

mjbitt, new guy and Lowbird like this.
  4. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

I have only 1 battery operated tool.. an old 19.2V Craftsman drill/driver set. I'm sitting on 3 dead NiCd batts that I keep telling myself I'm going to rebuild (thanx Instructables) and 1 good Lithium Ion battery. Love it until I'm doing a big project like screwing down deck boards and the battery runs out 1/2 way thru.. then I'm irritated. But those projects are few and far between, but at the time, I wish I had a corded drill.

5. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

ryobi is kind of a crap brand.
    dewalt and makita are my two go to brands.

6. Chrisf350

Chrisf350

Any of the big brands are great. I use cordless for about 90% of what I build. Ridgid is a great choice between pro and homeowner

Woodstock likes this.
  7. NickLeduc

NickLeduc NES Member

This is me. I am so "invested" in the craftsmen 19.2 set, I don't ever want to dump it. I just had interstate rebuild 2 batteries for me last year. It ended up being $15 cheaper than buying new batteries. I went out and got a $20 walmart dewalt corded drill for the times the cordless fails me.

EMTDAD likes this.
  8. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

I have DeWalt cordless (and some corded) tools. I've been getting the new 20v versions of late (as needed) even though I still have a few 18v tools. I did get a couple of lithium ion batteries for those that do OK. So, I wouldn't recommend getting lithium batteries for old 18v tools. The newer brushless tools are much more power efficient, so you'll get more run time per charge. Plus, you have more amp hour rated battery options in 20v tools.

If you only need a couple of different cordless tools, I would just get those and not get a whole set. Especially if you've only used some a handful of times (if at all) since you bought them a decade ago.

MachineHead likes this.
  9. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

the individual batteries are stupid expensive, so it is actually cheaper (or nearly so) to buy a brand new tool with the battery included.

what i would recommend is to use tools that all use the same battery...that way you will eventually make up a herd of the same battery...which helps if you are using tools all day long

toekneepea likes this.
  10. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

The radio is/was nice, but with smart phones and Bluetooth it's not needed. The fan is, well, a fan. I've used it more for circulation when painting than personal cooling. The flashlight it fairly useless in terms of power but the head swivels so it's direct able. The sawzall cut up a steel swingset in my yard aftrt a tree crushed it. I know I used it once for something before that because the blade was worn.

So I know I only need the drill and circ saw. Guess I look for a battery rebuilder for the ni-cads, I assume the original chargers won't work on lithium batteries?

11. ProGun

ProGun NES Member

I have a 3-4 year old Dewalt screwdriver (it's been solid), and more recently, a Milwaukee M18 Fuel drill. The Milwaukee drill is awesome. I finally retired my 25 year old Black and Decker corded drill.

12. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

Lol, I actually have an old B&D corded drill. So old it didn't come with a keyless chuck, bought an "upgrade kit" and put it on myself. Maybe I should be shopping for a walker too...

Daddy Mac likes this.
  13. Brin747

Brin747 NES Member

I have a set of Ridgid cordless power tools that I have had for about 18 years. I had to replace the batteries last year, but the tools just keep on going.

mikelawtown likes this.
  14. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

I have both cordless and corded, use cordless most of the time. I like Milwaukee brand, but also have some Dewalt. For basic home use, any brand of lithium battery will be good, but if you ever want to do more than just put furniture together, I'd go with one of the better brands (Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita). When you end up doing more than basic stuff (and you will), you will be glad you got the better tools.

15. vcman

vcman

central massachusset, from central vietnam.
    I go for 12v tools,if batt die i can rig an electrical wire to it and run it on car batt :D. My 110v tools can run on my car batt too because i have a 12v to 110v converter.

16. qqac

qqac

No need to rebuild the old battery packs or get new tools if you don't want to. I got replacement Ni-MH battery packs made in China from Amazon for my old Ni-Cad cordless set, and they work better than new. $15 each. Li will work even, as long as the voltage is right and the case and connectors fit, but you should get a Li charger. Your existing Ni-Cad charger will work for Ni-MH batteries, although not optimal since the charging algorithm is a bit different and you shouldn't rely on the "automatic" charging feature. Mainly, don't charge as long, and stop charging when the Ni-MH battery starts to get warm. Or, you could simply get a matching Ni-MH charger.

17. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

All of your Ryobi batteries might be toast, especially if they are all the same age. If possible to get replacement batteries (try Amazon Smile for Comm 2A) that might do the trick for your old tools. You have enough tools that IMO it's worth trying new batteries. I had 3 batteries for a ~15 year old Hitachi drill and picked up some new higher capacity ones from Amazon. Those batteries are way better than the OEM batteries ever were.

18. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

I have one of the drills that are used five days a week for about five years it still work and perfect and you can’t beat the lifetime warranty

19. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

For very light use, I'd probably investigate the cost to rebuild a few of your batteries. I had to Snap On batteries rebuilt at Batteries Plus a few years back.

I personally use Dewalt, but if I were to start over, I'd probably use Milwaukee.

a73elkyss likes this.
  20. jaymce

jaymce

If you want to upgrade then this is a good way to go. I bought the small set when I needed batteries as it was 10-20$ more than 2 batteries. Then sold the old tools and charger on e-bay and recouped 1/2of the cost of the set.
    When I upgraded last time I gave the old set + some new Amazon batteries to my daughter a couple years ago and they are still in use.

21. fitzknny

fitzknny NES Member

xjma99 likes this.
  22. atmay

atmay NES Member

My vote is for Makita if you decide to go with new tools.

Otherwise, like everyone else said, repack/replace the batteries.

23. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

just an aside here....if you think your battery is bad because the charger will not charge it....there are some youtubes on how to cheat it to charge again. basically you run a wire jumper between two terminals (+ and sense lines if you have them) on some batteries, charge for five minutes....then it has enough of a charge to remove the jumper and charge it normally.

A lot of the chargers are "too smart" and trip out if there is any slight battery cell imbalance...where most of the time it would be safe to charge that same battery.

Another thing to consider....do not discharge that lithium battery all the way to zero....that makes it MORE likely your charger will not like to recharge it.

24. MachineHead

MachineHead NES Member

I’m partial to DeWalt myself, the 60v Flexvolt batteries can be used in 20v tools with no problem. I may not do a ton of projects but I hate when projects get delayed when there’s not enough juice.

25. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

Ryobi Milwaukee and Craftsman are made by the same Chinese company. As for the batteries it’s actually cheaper and better to buy a new tool and battery. Cordless drills are are pretty inexpensive at any of the box stores. I go thru them every 4-5 years just because of use, I’ve had both Makita and Ryobi last the same time.

26. new guy

new guy NES Member

Storing the batteries indoors/somewhere heated in the winter seems to be important too.

27. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i used to say that, but i went thru TWO dewalt sawzalls in the past year. One for a gear issue, one for a blown motor winding. so...not the quality it used to be

28. zboys

zboys NES Member

Milwaukee cordless

I prefer to use the best rather than mess with the rest

Junior314 likes this.
  29. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

All my tools are Bosch cornered. I do have one lithium Bosch drill [non impact].

I had a Ridgid 6hp metal can shop vac that served me 12 years. The motor died two years ago so I emailed them. I took a few pictures and they sent me a brand new one. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised. They have a crazy warranty.

30. xtry51

xtry51

20V Dewalt. It's what I use at home and what my company uses for field service in North America. You can also find the older 18v tools at steep discounts and buy the adapter to use the newer 20V batts.

I hear Milwaukee is also good but I have no personal experiencs. I have 12 Dewalt tools, mostly 18v vintage and I've never had a failure of a tool. I've lost (2) 18v battery packs that were all more than 6 years old, which I feel is acceptable based on my usage. The 20V batteries are amazing compared to the 18V especially in the circ saw and angle grinder.

calsdad likes this.