• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home security systems

I wanted a DIY system and last year decided to pull the trigger. I've owned hard wired systems and the arcane nature of their programming combined with vendor policies designed to maximize installer profit, not customer satisfaction drove me away.

So I started researching. After a few minutes, it was clear that there were two companies truly doing things differently than the established alarm companies. They were Simplisafe and Frontpoint.

Frontpoint offers some very amazing very high feature systems that are also wireless and can be installed by a homeowner. Their price for similar features was comparable to Simplisafe, with the ability to upgrade to the truly advanced stuff later. (Their hardware is based on GE Simon).

Despite this, I decided to go with Simplisafe It all came down to monitoring and needs. Simplisafe's system met my needs. I was not looking for integrated video monitoring or some of the other more advanced Frontpoint features.

Simplisafe offered what I wanted, specifically an entirely wireless security system that called the monitoring station via a cellular, not wired phone line. Simplisafe allowed me to configure a system with 3 keypads, 2 key fob remotes, about 20 entry sensors and 6 motion sensors.

This is a VERY well equipped system. I have entry sensors on every first floor and basement window and door. I've even got a sensor on my garage door. I've got motions in my garage, basement and covering the entire first floor as well as approaches to the second floor stairs. I've got a motion in the master bedroom, just incase. Finally, I purchased 3 auxilary sirens. Are situated inside the home near likely points of entry and the other is on the outside of the house to wake up the neighbors. So you see, Simplisafe allows you to build a pretty robust system.

As far as monitoring costs, Frontpoint's monitoring started at $35/month, for $42/month you get an interactive system that allows you to turn the system on and off via smart phone, as well as monitor your alarm's status.

Simplisafe's monitoring only cost $15/month for simple monitoring. $20/month gets you text messages every time the system is armed, disarmed, or set off. $25/month gets you a fully interactive remote control via smart phone. I'm on the $20/month plan. I don't need remote interactivity, but do like to be alerted whenever the system status changes via text messages.

In short, Simpliisafe met my needs for about $23/month less than frontpoint. So my decision was made, I ordered the system and it arrived in a few days. It took me significantly longer to install than they say simply because I spent a lot of time thinking about where I wanted the stuff to go. The actual setup literally took 15 minutes.

Like I said above, I ended up covering every window and door. (Why not, the sensors are only $15!!!). I'm still playing around with the location of the motions. But most are just sitting on a shelf or located inconspicuously in a corner.

The total install, even with "head scratching time" was probably about a couple of hours.
The first few days you use the alarm, the monitoring system ignore's when it is triggered, allowing you time to test sensors, set it off by accident a few times, and generally get used to it.

Overall, I'm very happy. The remote key fobs have excellent range and allow us to arm and disarm the system from outside the home. A few minutes later I get a text telling me of the action. This is comforting when leaving the house since it confirms to me that the system is armed and is communicating with the monitoring service.

Simplisafe has a 60 day "ecstatically happy" guarantee. Now I see why they offer this. I haven't been this happy with an electronics purchase since I got my first iPod in 2002.

If the features meet your requirements, you can not go wrong. It does EVERYTHING they say it will do, and it does it flawlessly. I am a VERY very happy customer.

One other thing. Make your decision based on what Simplisafe offers NOW. Don't buy based on features or sensors that Simplisafe says they are coming out with soon. They have a terrible track record of getting these kinds of improvements out on time. If it doesn't meet your needs with the features that are available now, I'd suggest you look somewhere else.

In case you are wondering I'm not in any involved with Simplisafe.

Oh yeah, here is the one flaw I've found. There is no way to name the sensor locations. So when an alarm is triggered, all you see on the keypad is "Entry sensor" rather than something like "front door". Its not a big deal for me but if it is for you, you should take this into account.

Thank you for a most detailed review. I have been considering Simplisafe mainly for rehab properties because it's easy to setup and then take out when you sell. Now I'm thinking this may be a good system for home use as well. I didn't know about Frontpoint, so I will look into that too, thanks.

30 is the minimum on the away setting.

You can set the home to whatever you want.

Ok. I don't use mine the way you use yours. At night we put it on Home.

I actually extended the delay to 120 sec so there was no pressure to exit quickly.

One other quesiton. Why not set the home setting to use the same sensors you currently use for away. Then there is no delay?

I'm guessing that you have home set to use fewer sensors than you use at night when you are sleeping. Like 1st fl motions off at home (for daytime use) and 1st fl motions on for away (which allows you to set it to away at night)

Thank you for a most detailed review. I have been considering Simplisafe mainly for rehab properties because it's easy to setup and then take out when you sell. Now I'm thinking this may be a good system for home use as well. I didn't know about Frontpoint, so I will look into that too, thanks.

Terminator,

For a rehab property, you could probably get away with a system with one keypad and 3 or 4 motions. You could probably get a refurb system like that for $250.

If you think you want FrontPoint's advanced features, you may want to hang in there.

You have reminded me that their sales people were a bit pushy.
Simplisafe's sales experience is very low key.

But that doesn't change the fact that people are happy with their Frontpoint systems once they install them.

Like I said. Simplisafe gave me what I required for about $23 less per month in monitoring. 2 1/2 years in, thats a $700 savings.

That's annoying. When I ordered from FrontPoint, I did it online through a shopping cart. Saw all the prices right there. Sucks that they want to give you a "quote" now! I probably wouldn't have gone with them if that was the case for me...

Not sure what you are talking about...they do...http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/plans-overview

I don't see pricing for the individual pieces of equipment. How many door sensors? Motion sensors? Glass break? Keypads. For simplisafe, they state exactly how much each additional piece is.

They will tell you if they get your phone number though.

That's annoying. When I ordered from FrontPoint, I did it online through a shopping cart. Saw all the prices right there. Sucks that they want to give you a "quote" now! I probably wouldn't have gone with them if that was the case for me...

Yeah I was referring to the equipment.

Thanks, I saw the monthly prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went with Frontpoint. Got a smoking deal of the upfront cost of equipment. If you are an angieslist.com member they have a coupon for $199.99 with a $100 amazon GC rebate for the following.

10 Door/Window sensors
2 Motion
1 smoke/fire
1 glass break
1 Control panel
2 Keyfob remotes

So in the end it will cost me $100.00 for the equipment and went with the interactive package. So far its been working as expected. And customer service has been great. We did have an issue with a motion sensor, and had a request for voice chimes to be activated. Prompt responsive service.

Long term is to be determined.... Based on others and many reviews I am hopeful they work out:)

I went with Fortress Security. There is no monthly fee but it is not connected to a service. It does have the capability to call up to five numbers if the system is set off but I do not have home phone service so I am not using that feature.
The main things I wanted was the deterrent associated with the 110db siren and as my wife and I sleep with a fan on the idea of the siren waking me up if I am home when someone breaks in.
I picked it up from Amazon for 130 and got...
5 Door/Window sensors
2 Motion Detectors
1 Control Panel
1 Siren
2 Key Fobs
1 Panic Button
It was an easy set up and I enjoy that they have videos on their website showing how to perform all of the functions. I have not had to use it but from the Amazon reviews it seems as though their customer service is excellent.

Weedwhacker and brian both represent what i'd consider to be the high and low end of DIY systems.

The Frontpoint is great. If I remember right Weedwhacker, it uses GE Simon hardware. Which will be supported for many many years.

One thing I'm curious is what you pay for monthly monitoring with the services you have.

We are all different, with different needs. I got Simplisafe because its reasonably priced and offers reasonably priced BASIC monitoring. It doesn't offer some of the features of Frontpoint, but it is monitored. Frontpoint was the 'just right' system for my needs. But if I wanted more bells and whistles, particularly an excellent interactive system, I'd have probably gone with frontpoint.

Don

Our level is $43 a month which is the middle level..
The lowest level is $34.00 a month

And yes on the GE control panel

The Frontpoint is great. If I remember right Weedwhacker, it uses GE Simon hardware. Which will be supported for many many years.

One thing I'm curious is what you pay for monthly monitoring with the services you have.

For those you with Simplisafe, how sensitive are the motion detectors? I'm trying to plan a purchase but the number of motion detectors would be dependent on if they would be set off by curtains blowing with a window partially open.

Yeah I was referring to the equipment.

Thanks, I saw the monthly prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they used to list the equipment too. All ordered online, no "quote" needed. Sorry I just now noticed your response.

For those you with Simplisafe, how sensitive are the motion detectors? I'm trying to plan a purchase but the number of motion detectors would be dependent on if they would be set off by curtains blowing with a window partially open.

I couldn't tell you. My motions are not activated when I'm in home mode, and my 1st fl are not open when I'm away.

I'm guessing that you want your motions to be active while you are armed in home mode?

I couldn't tell you. My motions are not activated when I'm in home mode, and my 1st fl are not open when I'm away.

I'm guessing that you want your motions to be active while you are armed in home mode?

I have no air conditioning in my house, but always have a great breeze. I'd like to be able to open the windows a few inches to the stops, use a second magnet to keep it armed, and have motion activated. If the curtains will set it off then I will have to move around the motions so they can't "see" the curtains and I will likely need at least one more to make it work.

I have no air conditioning in my house, but always have a great breeze. I'd like to be able to open the windows a few inches to the stops, use a second magnet to keep it armed, and have motion activated. If the curtains will set it off then I will have to move around the motions so they can't "see" the curtains and I will likely need at least one more to make it work.

If you have a second magnet, then you don't really need motions. Especially if you use one of their glass break sensors.

One other thing. When you first set up simplisafe, the monitoring company ignores you for 2 or 3 days. (Unless you call and ask them to pay attention) this allows you to screw up , test it and set it off without having to deal with police or calls from the monitoring company.

My suggestion is to set it up and see how it goes. I suspect the curtains will not trigger the motions since they are goin to be the same temp as the background so even if they moved, it wouldn't be picked up.

But my bet is that with an extra magnet per window, you can leave it open and use the entry sensor on the window. Combine it with one of their glass break sensors and you would be goood.

Don

I don't think that would trip them.

hmmm, I actually hadn't considered using glass break sensors. that would actually make things easier. Any experience with them and false alarms?

Placed my order tonight. For anyone thinking about purchasing the coupon code GLKROC10 still works and will give you 10% off and free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom