Home repairs....

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Who seems to be getting more projects around the house now that most of our significant others are working from home? I know i just hired a guy to replace a set of stairs on the outside of my house, hired a company to tear up my driveway and replace it and i just tore down a 20 year old section of cedar fence that needs replacing.
I have lots of projects that could be done....money is the primary set back

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I'm starting to get projects done, Not that I was lazy or didn't have time, but I wasn't raised by a dad that taught me these things, so I finally just started teaching myself with YouTube videos and talking to people that know more than me. So I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel, and it's actually going pretty well so far. It's frustrating, because my dad is actually very mechanically inclined, but never felt like that with something he needed to pass along
every day I find myself thanking my dad for the skills

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I finally took down the old fluorescent light above the washing machine, my wife was complaining because 2 bulbs were out and the other two were flickering. The new LED has been sitting on my workbench unopened for the last couple of weeks so I figured that would be a good morning project. The toughest thing was the dust on top of the old fixture, I have a dusty basement.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Yep. I spent last weekend ripping out Sea Grass and other bushes that wife didn't want anymore. Now I need to wait for her to decide what to replace it with so I can replant. Oh boy!
told my wife years ago "no more plants" i let the "native" plants run wild.
Rhoadies, day lilies, arborvities, blueberries, rasberries,fosithia , ferns..... They like the soil thats here and nead very little up keep. Went through a spell of planting all sorts of flowers in multiple beds. Its just much added work and cant afford lanscapers to do it.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I finally took down the old fluorescent light above the washing machine, my wife was complaining because 2 bulbs were out and the other two were flickering. The new LED has been sitting on my workbench unopened for the last couple of weeks so I figured that would be a good morning project. The toughest thing was the dust on top of the old fixture, I have a dusty basement.
unless you have a good amount of air flow basements with laundry being done get very dusty especially after a few decades. When my wife is not around i open a window place a powerful fan i have in there and crank it up. I then put the vacuum on reverse and blow all the dust I can towards the fan. let it run for a few hours. It helps alot overvall.

Mudflap621

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice house you got there. And nice job with the deck.
thank you! I built the original house little over ten years ago than added a new living room and 2 car garage few year back. Been plugging along on it. we moved the slider over about six feet to left into the new living room. You can see the old deck framing on the right I ended up just extending it all over to the left.
F541BB3F-F009-4DC6-87C7-DFEE9F471DE3.jpeg
last weekend I spruced you the kids play area with some landscape timber than put construction fabric and some mulch. The last part will be the grass haha. 9F4EC6D5-25F6-4CEC-9AE0-0C4634D66FB2.jpegC38CFE1F-313B-4D30-B40F-2F0DA967FF3E.jpeg

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
thank you! I built the original house little over ten years ago than added a new living room and 2 car garage few year back. Been plugging along on it. we moved the slider over about six feet to left into the new living room. You can see the old deck framing on the right I ended up just extending it all over to the left.
View attachment 363082
last weekend I spruced you the kids play area with some landscape timber than put construction fabric and some mulch. The last part will be the grass haha. View attachment 363083View attachment 363084
Damn dude! Impressive that you have the skills to do that - sure wish I did. Nice job.

Mudflap621

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can do it just take your time and do your research. Ive had a lot of help along the way and screwed up a few times too lol.

maltc

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yea- built a 15x23 low level deck. Then furniture for it. Took around seven 8 hour days including the furniture.

Junior314

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
View attachment 363042Finishing up my deck. I’ve got few rips to make next to house and some stairs. It’s the last big piece to the puzzle in a 2year addition project and glad. Be back out there in a few minutes after I finish some coffee.
Looks awesome, nice work.

Started working on my deck today by digging post holes. By far the worst part of the job.

3 down 5 to go.

jron

NES Member
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Out with a back injury so very limited. Only thing I have done is tend to the Marijuana garden. ☺

Woodsloafer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I work in a hospital but had school vacation week off. I built an 80ft long wall dry fitted with fieldstone. I also cut, split, and stacked 2 cords of sugar maple firewood so far.
How did the wall come out? Any pictures? Thinking of starting on one myself.

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How did the wall come out? Any pictures? Thinking of starting on one myself.
Came out nice. Pics in thread links below.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
You can do it just take your time and do your research. Ive had a lot of help along the way and screwed up a few times too lol.
I learned carpentry by myself before Youtube was invented. Tools were double the price what they were, and a lot of them were half the power or everything was corded.

Now, its a joke with the online videos, cheap powerful cordless tools, etc....there is absolutely no excuse not to save thousands in labor.

You have to buy some tools and want to work hard. I've heard more excuses over the years doing shit for people. Usually the wife makeing excuses for the husband, No time, no tools, no this, no that....most of the time they are just fxcking lazy. As they come home and sit on their ass, or are off golfing, etc......and watch me frame a deck or whatever (which I'm doing as my second job)

And it always makes me laugh how the laziest ones are the cheapest, I avoid them like the plague.

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am currently remodeling my daughters 13yo room. Everything came out over the weekend, painted the ceiling, walls and trim. Tore out the carpet too (my daughter likes makeup, but not keeping it off the floor) and started laying Pergo Outlast+ (9 boxes, one more coming as it was damaged on arrival). The room is calculated at 188sqft including closets so 9 boxes is short, I should have 5 pieces of flooring left.

My knees are not happy, my back is complaining some; but my knees are bad, like pain daily without the floor work.

Last week was rehanging insulation for my FiL and fixing a basement wall and door.

SwampYankee42

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently remodeling my daughters 13yo room. Everything came out over the weekend, painted the ceiling, walls and trim. Tore out the carpet too (my daughter likes makeup, but not keeping it off the floor) and started laying Pergo Outlast+ (9 boxes, one more coming as it was damaged on arrival). The room is calculated at 188sqft including closets so 9 boxes is short, I should have 5 pieces of flooring left.

My knees are not happy, my back is complaining some; but my knees are bad, like pain daily without the floor work.

Last week was rehanging insulation for my FiL and fixing a basement wall and door.
I'm also in the middle of doing all the flooring. Living room, hall and three bedrooms with LVP with attached underlayment. Ripping out the carpet and those damn tacks is murder. The trim was nailed into the wall with 3 inch nails and alot of them.
I work on my feet in a trade all day but nothing has made me more sore than doing this flooring job. Totally caught me off guard. What a way to spend a vacation. But the Mrs demands it

Top Bottom