Home repairs....

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Who seems to be getting more projects around the house now that most of our significant others are working from home? I know i just hired a guy to replace a set of stairs on the outside of my house, hired a company to tear up my driveway and replace it and i just tore down a 20 year old section of cedar fence that needs replacing.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My wife works at a hospital so she has been there. I was out for several weeks and got a ton of yard work done. Yesterday I finished painting the lawn tractor and mower deck and putting them back together.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My wife is a packrat/pseudo-hoarder and staying with her mother for the duration of covid. I took the opportunity to get a 10yd dumpster and fill it. twice. That is my type of house/yard work/projects
My wife is the same way, i still have unopened boxes of hers from when she moved in with me 20 years ago. He mother and sister came up and just started tossing things of my wifes. They are like me, if it hasn't been used in 3 years, get rid of it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced leaky toilet instead of fixing it because I didn't want a round one anymore. And 2 leaky bathroom faucets. And a water heater that started tripping the breaker. Hadn't done that much plumbing work since I sold the rental property.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My son is cutting all the cedar posts and pickets into firepit wood. Broke out the chop saw to make it quick work

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm still working FT but managed to start (and actually finish) a project I've been putting off since we built our house 9 years ago. I installed a 60 amp 240v subpanel in my garage and it took every bit of four days to do the job. Fortunately I took a 4 day weekend to do the job. Now I run everything in my shop without popping the single 15 amp breaker that ran one socket and my garage door opener. It was always a balancing act, knowing what I could run at the same time and what I couldn't. I had to run 6/3 with ground outside, along the front of the house in a ditch inside of conduit to the attached garage. I installed the box and ran eight 20 amp circuits around the shop and a 240v 30a near my ham radio operating position so I can run my 1500 watt linear amp. . It's amazing how much faster my heat gun runs too.. I have no idea what the voltage drop was when I switched it on, all 1250 watts of it.

Last edited:

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm starting to get projects done, Not that I was lazy or didn't have time, but I wasn't raised by a dad that taught me these things, so I finally just started teaching myself with YouTube videos and talking to people that know more than me. So I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel, and it's actually going pretty well so far. It's frustrating, because my dad is actually very mechanically inclined, but never felt like that with something he needed to pass along

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My wife is a packrat/pseudo-hoarder and staying with her mother for the duration of covid. I took the opportunity to get a 10yd dumpster and fill it. twice. That is my type of house/yard work/projects
I can hear it already...

Her: Honey? Have you seen my (insert whatever she's missing here)?

You: uhhh...no :cool:

Last edited:

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
You win I only got two 8' dump trailer runs and 6 bags of clothes to goodwill.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
First week of Ronaquarantine I was already painting my shed. So I did it several afternoons instead of trying to marathon it over the weekends. That was nice.

A couple of other things around the house.

As meitnioed in the Build It Yourself subgroup, I've got a STEN I need to get working on.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I started out like gangbusters banging out some outside projects. But then spring weather, and extreme laziness won out and I havent done as much lately. I have been working on getting 1.5 cords of wood I split stacked. I HATE stacking, so I have been picking away at it this week. Two more attempts, and it will be done. Just in time for me to bring more wood in to split.

I put a handful of projects on hold due to the unknown with the economy. I need to redo my back deck, but I am very hesitant to spend a grand on materials until I feel more stability.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I'm starting to get projects done, Not that I was lazy or didn't have time, but I wasn't raised by a dad that taught me these things, so I finally just started teaching myself with YouTube videos and talking to people that know more than me. So I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel, and it's actually going pretty well so far. It's frustrating, because my dad is actually very mechanically inclined, but never felt like that with something he needed to pass along
Hah I hear that. My dad can do just about anything - carpentry, plumbing, electrical etc. But didn't teach me those things so I watch youtube also.

Yes I've been doing a ton of home repairs. Well I've been hiring contractors to do the work I should say.

New roof
7 new windows and replaced a bunch of cedar siding and trim. Still need more rotted siding replaced...

I've started demolishing my open porch to make it an enclosed mudroom. Probably going to pay a friend to install granite on the floor. But first need to reframe the porch due to rot and have it resided then slap on a storm door.

House still needs to be painted ASAP but I probably can't swing that until next year. Never ends.

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got all kinds of shelves I'm supposed to hang and a TV that she wants mounted. I've avoided doing all this, and instead ordered flooring samples so that we can hopefully decide on the flooring for the new office/gym that I've been banished to during working hours. Yeah, I'd rather put down floor than hang shelves. At least when I'm doing that I can swear at the flooring in peace.

Though I have nearly crippled myself removing ugly old mulch the previous owners heaped up everywhere. I guess I got points for doing that, because now I will have to replace it with new mulch that should be here next week. Also the hedges need to be trimmed and I've got two external burned out floodlights to replace. Joy.

Maddawg1952

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hah I hear that. My dad can do just about anything - carpentry, plumbing, electrical etc. But didn't teach me those things so I watch youtube also.

Yes I've been doing a ton of home repairs. Well I've been hiring contractors to do the work I should say.

New roof
7 new windows and replaced a bunch of cedar siding and trim. Still need more rotted siding replaced...

I've started demolishing my open porch to make it an enclosed mudroom. Probably going to pay a friend to install granite on the floor. But first need to reframe the porch due to rot and have it resided then slap on a storm door.

House still needs to be painted ASAP but I probably can't swing that until next year. Never ends.
…………. The only thing that works on an old house, is the owner!

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have learned, the hard way, that a ten yard dumpster really is not all that big!

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Unless you hired gypsies. 😂
Pretty substantial for gypsies...They have their business about a quarter mile from my home.
An elderly couple near me used gypsies one time and they did a horrible job, the cops tracked them down and gave them the option of doing the job right or going to jail...they came back to redo the paving and the cops kept a car there until the job was done to the satisfaction of the homeowner. 20200506_100407.jpg

Attachments

Junior314

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have been incredibly productive getting stuff done during all of this. I have found if I break projects out into smaller pieces throughout the week as opposed to cramming them all in during the weekend I am more motivated to get stuff done.

They will put the topcoat on after the street is repaved in a few weeks View attachment 354887
Looks nice... last time I got a quote for my driveway I couldn't believe how much it was.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I have been incredibly productive getting stuff done during all of this. I have found if I break projects out into smaller pieces throughout the week as opposed to cramming them all in during the weekend I am more motivated to get stuff done.

Looks nice... last time I got a quote for my driveway I couldn't believe how much it was.
I expected it to be more but it was 4k .They tore out the old one, dug down around 10 inches and built it up. I ended up with some nice pieces of granite that were old edging at some point.

BlackwaterFence

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Pretty substantial for gypsies...They have their business about a quarter mile from my home.
An elderly couple near me used gypsies one time and they did a horrible job, the cops tracked them down and gave them the option of doing the job right or going to jail...they came back to redo the paving and the cops kept a car there until the job was done to the satisfaction of the homeowner. View attachment 354903
When I had my driveway installed 20 years ago, I hired the company that told me what I want to hear.
They said they had a wider spreader and could do extra wide without a seam, that they apply binder in the morning and topcoat in the afternoon, and that they schedule trucks so there's no delay.
I came home from work early that day and they were standing around waiting for another truck of mix. It was narrower than the proposal listed, and the foreman said " you can fit a truck down there" and when I asked about binder coat, he said "we got the special mix that has binder mixed in".
At the end, it looked good and I paid them because I was young(er) and stupid, but looks terrible now

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I desperately need to have my driveway redone. It needs to have the base dug out and redone. It's a good sized driveway, I figure it's at least $10k to do it right.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I'm still working full time..but have gotten a shit ton done this year already.

Sheds cleaned, garage cleaned and totally reorganized. New flower beds and plantings, and old ones edged and all mulching done. Yard limed and fertilized first step. Garage pressure washed and trim painted, deck pressure washed and stained. Wood, cut ,split stacked.

Pressure washed and painted trim on my dad's shed, edged my parents flower beds and mulched as well. Fixed door frame bottom rot and changed out brick mold cause it was rotted. Put in two new faucets for them.

Putting new mudroom at another place for a side job, half done that.

Having my son home has helped, but I've been busting my ass. Still had some time to get in shooting and reload a bunch of stuff.

If I had been "working from home, I'd be done everything by now.

Top Bottom