• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home indoor gun range

I helped do some work on the indoor range at my gun club. I was wearing a mask, but apparently not well fitted. My blood lead levels were significantly elevated afterwards, enough that my doctor was concerned. i will now no longer do such work on an indoor range -- I've got enough health problems already.

Edited to add: years later, my blood lead levels were still elevated.
It doesn't leave the body I don't think. Might explain you crabbiness ! 😂😂😂😂

This happened at my club a couple years ago. Not to this extent but it was a fire that needed to be put out by an extinguisher. Powder had built up in the channels on the floor against the side wall. Poof.
I saw this decades ago an a MA club indoor range. Some genius decided welding a steel target on the indoor range was a good idea. Smoke filled the room almost instantly, but someone got to it with a fire extinguisher before the entire place went up. Unburnt power in open cell foam acoustic insulation makes great tinder.

I saw this decades ago an a MA club indoor range. Some genius decided welding a steel target on the indoor range was a good idea. Smoke filled the room almost instantly, but someone got to it with a fire extinguisher before the entire place went up. Unburnt power in open cell foam acoustic insulation makes great tinder.
Since it happened at our range we do a weekly sweep of all the corners and beams. Amazing how much un burned powder builds up on the corners of the floor and the tops of beams and such.

Anybody remember the Centerville club with the wood stove on the line for heat? At a match one night one of them mentioned shooting BP stuff in there. Those were crazy nights.

If it's good enough for Sherlock Holmes

I have always held, too, that pistol practice should be distinctly an open-air pastime; and when Holmes, in one of his queer humors, would sit in an arm-chair with his hair-trigger and a hundred Boxer cartridges, and proceed to adorn the opposite wall with a patriotic V.R. done in bullet-pocks, I felt strongly that neither the atmosphere nor the appearance of our room was improved by it.

No no no the internet has decided after 1 sentence your idea was terrible and we will all make fun of you now

Kidding lol
And if he does pull this off by installing a good ventilation system and ends up with a nice private indoor range, then the internet cry's with jealousy.

Kidding LOL......... (Well actually not) ;)

I had a range with a portable bullet trap in my basement growing up. There was no lead free ammo at the time. No lead issues in the home, no dogs were harmed, no super elaborate ventilation system required. That same bullet trap I took with me when I bought my first house. Although I didn’t use it as much as when I was a kid, still no lead problems going to sell the home, no problems with the dog, no expensive ventilation system.

Obviously nowadays, I’m more aware of lead so I should outdoors as much as possible. I guess it would just depend on how much shooting you were going to be doing.

Dave
Wait, is this my brother Dave, who now lives in VT? Like you, we had our own little gun range in the basement when we were growing up. Mostly used for pellet guns, but as I recall, we used .22s down there as well. Back then, lead was a lot safer than it is now, and so were seesaws as was riding bikes without helmets and riding in the back of pickup trucks unrestrained. Now, if you try any of those things, you'll die instantly.

Frank

These threads are tiring. Typical NES, guy asks a question, instead of answering the question all the Fudds and Broc tell him don't do that and mother incessantly. As reliable as the sun rising. Took like 42 posts to get something that even hinted at answering the question.

Anyone venture into building a home indoor gun range in their basement? I’ve got a nice run of 75 ft and was thinking of building in an indoor range. Obviously with the needed protection from stray shots and exhaust system. Wondered if there was anyone who has done it or if there are general specs out there for them. TIA

OK Real Answer:

In-home gun ranges can cost $50,000-$200,000. The final total is determined largely by the simplicity or complexity of the equipment selected as well as the level of safety you want.

OK Real Answer:

In-home gun ranges can cost $50,000-$200,000. The final total is determined largely by the simplicity or complexity of the equipment selected as well as the level of safety you want.
the one weird trick this man used to increase the lead levels of his neighborhood

parents hate him!

These threads are tiring. Typical NES, guy asks a question, instead of answering the question all the Fudds and Broc tell him don't do that and mother incessantly. As reliable as the sun rising. Took like 42 posts to get something that even hinted at answering the question.
Great feedback, bro. You clearly answered his question. Keep up the good work.

Since you didn't provide an answer, I will provide the answer the OP asked for.

OP, download the second PDF, has a list with a bunch of considerations and specs (as requested).

Screenshot_20230304_101335_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The joke responses are because it's hilariously impractical, he won't build it, and it's a public service to convince him to not do it. Not only that, but the next person that moves into that house will have insane lead levels if the range is removed before the house is sold, passing on cancers and severe, permanent damage to future generations.

This isn't a DIY setup. Anyone that does this as a DIY setup is negligent or a dickhead if they know the damage they are causing. This is a fringe build that requires planning and involvement of multiple experts. I made joke posts, and while ARs don't get my engine going, my number of pending NFA items is probably greater than the number of handguns most users of this forum own -- I'm not a Fudd. This is like going to a car forum and asking for advice on building a racetrack in your backyard. It's going to get some jokes.

Last edited:
Great feedback, bro. You clearly answered his question. Keep up the good work.

Since you didn't provide an answer, I will provide the answer the OP asked for.

OP, download the second PDF, has a list with a bunch of considerations and specs (as requested).

View attachment 727771
If you're going to post links don't use a screen shot please.

The joke responses are because it's hilariously impractical, he won't build it, and it's a public service to convince him to not do it. Not only that, but the next person that moves into that house will have insane lead levels if the range is removed before the house is sold, passing on cancers and severe, permanent damage to future generations.

This isn't a DIY setup. Anyone that does this as a DIY setup is negligent or a dickhead if they know the damage they are causing. This is a fringe build that requires planning and involvement of multiple experts. I made joke posts, and while ARs don't get my engine going, my number of pending NFA items is probably greater than the number of handguns most users of this forum own -- I'm not a Fudd. This is like going to a car forum and asking for advice on building a racetrack in your backyard. It's going to get some jokes.

My conspiracy theory is that you only posted this thread so you could brag about having a 200 yard outdoor range.
My conspiracy theory is that you only posted this so you could brag about probably having more NFA items than the number of handguns most users of this forum own.

If you're going to post links don't use a screen shot please.
I posted the screenshot with the selection so the OP can find it. How easy is that?

I don't like posting links to PDF, and I don't think I can upload the PDF here.

I posted the screenshot with the selection so the OP can find it. How easy is that?

I don't like posting links to PDF, and I don't think I can upload the PDF here.
Bur you can re-size the image so readers don't feel like they are front row at a movie theater.

I know, that takes a little extra time.

Back
Top Bottom