Home heating oil price.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Order my oil says 1.719, for Monadnock region. I have enough oil for a couple of months so I am wondering if it might get any lower

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
$2.449 delivered 3/24. Shattuck out of Pepperell. Reading this thread is going to have me cut them loose.
Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Some low price oil companies do not offer a service department so you end up with an independent contractor who may be up to his eye balls with no heat calls during a cold spell.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Some low price oil companies do not offer a service department so you end up with an independent contractor who may be up to his eye balls with no heat calls during a cold spell.
Shattuck Oil is part of a Conglomerate owned MacLellan Oil. They own Discount Oil of Keene, NH, Murray-Davenport in Winchendon,Ma and yes they have a service Department.

Manomet

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Not all heating oil is the same. Some suppliers put in additives which keep everything from the tank on thru clean, prolongs life and less cleaning, costs a little more. I put in a new system two years ago and when they cleaned it last year they told me there was no need, boiler,stack and filters were all clean. These guys have to buy large quantities to anticipate and fulfill customer need. Bottom drops out and price goes down, there cost didn't go down, just the guy who rides the market and got lucky on the drop. I have had the same guy for 25 years. He is rarely the cheapest but he is fair and when I have an issue they come. If I couldn't pay right now he wouldn't shut me off, I have been there for 25 years. There is more to price than save a buck today.

AMV

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I buy oil COD and deal with 2 or 3 local companies, the trucks fill up at the tank farm in Providence, RI, If they buy COD the savings gets passed on to you, if they lock in at a higher rate there is not much room when the bottom falls out. Today's COD price is $1.53 a gallon, I have a Viessmann boiler that is 12 years old, never had an issue, and I am pretty handy with the service and repairs. I know a boiler guy who works on the side if needed and I have 2 wood stoves. If something happened I may be without hot water but heat will never be an issue so that is why the contract and higher prices don't appeal to me. The oil now days is much cleaner than it used to be, I have a Roth double walled tank and can look in side when it gets really low and there is zero sludge in the bottom after 12 years. Do some places put additives in to justify higher price..... not sure about that...but i bet they say they do

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I just shut the heat off at the Lake. Gotta call for a delivery. Didn't use much this year, but best to just have it while the prices are good. With a busy winter (no time to visit) and warm temps, I bet I didn't use 1/2 a tank.

JoeT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

that is correct. I pay a seperate company for annual PM and emergency service (if needed).

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
that is correct. I pay a seperate company for annual PM and emergency service (if needed).
Have you had any bad experiences doing it this way?
Any emergency after hours calls?
How often do you service your boiler?

I ask as there are 4 boilers, 4 330 tanks and 1 4000 gallon tank burning around 7000 gallons a year. That’s a 7000 dollar upgrade on today’s prices. We do burn biofuel. It’s a very complicated system due to all the moving parts.
Yes I know I’m at the extreme end of the spectrum but I am also responsible for a second location with close to the same burn rate.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
True. Shattuck has a service department I used to have a service contract at ~$270/year that included a cleaning. problem was when something broke it was not a part of what was covered so I'd pay extra. stopped that nonsense and get a cleaning every other year for $160. burner efficiency is unchanged over that time. I've replaced a blower fan and startup cap. I can get that stuff cheaper from Amazon.

Point is I paid $473 for 193.3 gallons. 2 days later their price dropped by 10 cents. they pushed the product when the price was high. if I got that delivery for 1.89 (which is still higher than the floor price) that's more than $100 on just that delivery. There's also the year when I had a low contract price and the contract price ended 5/31. they delivered 6/2. They credited me the leftover dollars towards the bill, but I paid a much higher price per gallon. I've been their customer for a few months shy of 25 years. I just feel that the relationship has run it's course.

JoeT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have you had any bad experiences doing it this way?
Any emergency after hours calls?
How often do you service your boiler?

I ask as there are 4 boilers, 4 330 tanks and 1 4000 gallon tank burning around 7000 gallons a year. That’s a 7000 dollar upgrade on today’s prices. We do burn biofuel. It’s a very complicated system due to all the moving parts.
Yes I know I’m at the extreme end of the spectrum but I am also responsible for a second location with close to the same burn rate.
no problems thus far.

We have 2 furnaces, and an oil fired HW tank. they charge me $250 annually for the PM... I think it's $100 per furnace and $50 for the HW tank. In 7 years I've called them 2x's for "emergency" service. once for heat, once for AC. both times here same day.
I complain about our usage at just under 2000 gallons.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered fuel for next week delivery from Discount Oil in Keene, NH. They are the cheapest in the area with senior discount 2.23.9 per gallon.

doxdsgn

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Crude oil took a little bump up this past week.

Here's a link to a website which shows oil prices by state/county/provider -- seems to be up to date - Cheapest Oil

Here is a link to the wholesale price of heating oil in MA - MA Wholesale Price

Sorry if this is a dupe.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I query Degree Days for the weekly total of "heating degree days". My HHO usage per HDD usage is pretty consistent; I don't track variables like wind or holiday guests.
Quick update on "Heating Degree Days". Been working from home most of this winter, and noticed that heating oil usage has been very consistent when I take gallons consumed and divide by HDD.

EMTDAD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wife checked the price from our vendor today. $1.59/gal. We just had a few hundred gal delivered last month.. At these prices, thinking of topping it off for the summer. Although it appears the forecast trend is downward for the next year.

413dan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I just placed an order from FuelCo out of Springfield, MA. 1.47 a gal. being delivered on Monday. saw it online listed at newenglandoil.com. never used FuelCo before. when I called to place the order, and inquired about the cash price, the woman on the phone stated 1.79. I went, oh, I saw it listed cheaper elsewhere. didn't say where. she asked how much and I said 1.47. she goes we can match that, never asked where I saw it. I assume she knows it was listed for that elsewhere, but part of me says hmm what if I said 1.40? anyways after watching POTUS today talk about speaking with many other oil producing countries to slow the flow, I figured it is near bottom. was gonna pull the trigger last week at 1.53 and overnight it shot up a quarter. having 200, maybe 215ish depending on the gauge accuracy, being delivered Monday and Im happy about it. hot water for the rest of the year and at least a couple months of heat next winter. not too shabby id I do say so myself.

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Top Bottom