Home heating oil price.

VTHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just had 300 gallons filled at 1.79. A few days ago it was 1.75, but I hesitated.

This purchase was a hedge. If it goes down further, I still have room to get a little more (2 tanks). If it creeps up, we have enough for the winter.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a spot that looks like there was one, but it fell off, was removed by some dope,etc. Who knows, the tank is in decent shape, but I guess at one point the basement had a bit of moisture for awhile, that got corrected in the renno, and we added a good sized dehumidifier, so the moisture is no longer a problem. .. problem is the oil tank is from that time frame of the moisture, and is corroded as such, not terrible, and not weeping. ...yet... the plan is to replace it next spring.
You'd think they would just have plastic tanks by now. Without sunlight to deteriorate them, they should last a good long time.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Just had 300 gallons filled at 1.79. A few days ago it was 1.75, but I hesitated.

This purchase was a hedge. If it goes down further, I still have room to get a little more (2 tanks). If it creeps up, we have enough for the winter.
My buddy is going crazy. He has 2,000 gallon tankage. Buy? Stand pat? Each penny change is $20.....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'd think they would just have plastic tanks by now. Without sunlight to deteriorate them, they should last a good long time.
I believe code is metal tanks so if there was a fire, it gives responders a little more time to put it out as opposed to the plastic melting relatively quick.
See my earlier post about roth tanks. Plastic inside a metal tank.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe code is metal tanks so if there was a fire, it gives responders a little more time to put it out as opposed to the plastic melting relatively quick.
See my earlier post about roth tanks. Plastic inside a metal tank.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

That said, I'd guess there are laws against this sort of thing, or at least a requirement for additional permits:
My buddy is going crazy. He has 2,000 gallon tankage. Buy? Stand pat? Each penny change is $20.....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just talked to my oil company (atlas glen-mor).
They want 2.99/gal Cap price for 1 year, if they delivered today it would be at 2.59/gal.
On-top of that, they want $200 for the "service plan"

This seems really high!

Anyone else in the metro west area looking at prices?

It sucks because i have been with them since i got the house, i had them replace the furnace and oil tank and the service has been rather good. Including waking up on thanksgiving to no hot water/heat and they sent someone right out.

andrew1220

NES Member
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
My local oil guy in Gloucester is at $1.98 and two weeks ago when I called they were at $1.88. I need to pull the trigger at some point before winter rolls around.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Caved and ordered today, $1.99.
Not sure the wife and kids (ok ok and my wussy butt) can old out much longer with no heat.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Caved and ordered today, $1.99.
Not sure the wife and kids (ok ok and my wussy butt) can old out much longer with no heat.
Paylessforoil.com delivers to your area and is currently priced at $1.79. I got it at $1.74 from them a couple of weeks ago.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ordermyoil.com is down to $1.699 today. Ordered 200 gallons lastnight at 1.799...........I knew i should of waited until today...Could of saved $16.00

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
ordermyoil.com is down to $1.699 today. Ordered 200 gallons lastnight at 1.799...........I knew i should of waited until today...Could of saved $16.00
Enjoy! I didn't fire my oil guy yet as I was still over 1/2 tank, my mistake. He filled it today at $2.399/gal. [angry] [shocked]

This is typical of Scott-Williams, they are always at least $0.50/gal higher than most in the area.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've never tried ordering oil from any place other than where I get the boiler serviced. My local boiler service place wants $2.09 a gallon at this moment, so saving 40 cents on 200 gallons is like getting 80 bucks. Somehow I had this idea that I have to order oil from the service guys, otherwise they won't service the boiler anymore. Anyone know?

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I've never tried ordering oil from any place other than where I get the boiler serviced. My local boiler service place wants $2.09 a gallon at this moment, so saving 40 cents on 200 gallons is like getting 80 bucks. Somehow I had this idea that I have to order oil from the service guys, otherwise they won't service the boiler anymore. Anyone know?
You pay for the service separately, dont you?

-Mike

413dan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
never tried them, but bottomlineoil.com runs adds out here in western ma, they've got a better price than the place i usually go. to me it's not like my normal go to guy has the "93 octane" of Home heating oil and this website has the "89" equivalent correct (cause it's all the same)? which isn't it the same as diesel just died a color or something. (please correct me know if this is false).

so as i could use a bit and their price beats my guy by 20 cents might just have to give it a go. anyone ever used that place?

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was in this mode of thinking for many years. I think for oil it really doesn't matter much if you think about it, the tank is yours, order from whomever you want.

LP I think is a bit different. I'm not certain but I think there are outfits out there that will only fill their own tanks and no one elses. Liability or something? With my LP I only have it filled by the company who's name is written on the tank. Not sure if they own it or I do, but they never charged me for rent, and their really good about fills, never had a problem.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
There are no different grades of heating oil. The difference between heating oil and diesel fuel is the sulfur content. Heating oil can be up to 500 ppm sulfur where as diesel fuel has to no more than 15 ppm sulfur. Diesel fuel also has additives for performance (lubricity, cetane improver, cold weather etc)

never tried them, but bottomlineoil.com runs adds out here in western ma, they've got a better price than the place i usually go. to me it's not like my normal go to guy has the "93 octane" of Home heating oil and this website has the "89" equivalent correct (cause it's all the same)? which isn't it the same as diesel just died a color or something. (please correct me know if this is false).

so as i could use a bit and their price beats my guy by 20 cents might just have to give it a go. anyone ever used that place?

413dan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
There are no different grades of heating oil. The difference between heating oil and diesel fuel is the sulfur content. Heating oil can be up to 500 ppm sulfur where as diesel fuel has to no more than 15 ppm sulfur. Diesel fuel also has additives for performance (lubricity, cetane improver, cold weather etc)
[thumbsup]

rep308

NES Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
In comparison, I paid $0.97 per therm for Natural gas in October, the lowest price since in at least three years. Last year at this time I was paying $1.18

Top Bottom