• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
AGNTSA. [rolleyes]

I have the perfect solution, I created this awhile ago.... on the back of a cocktail napkin after having a couple of Maker's Mark Manhattans and a gin and tonic with Bombay Sapphire, whilst smoking a cigar. It was a Churchill, if I recall... Aurora 1495... but I digress.

I get around the MA safe storage laws/accessibility problems by sleeping inside a secure container, it's a metal coffin with a bed inside that can only be opened from the inside normally. The steel protects up to .308 Win AP. I have a camera and a small LCD screen so if I hear someone coming I can turn it on to see what's going on out there. There is also a small gun port from which I can aim one of my pistols through. In case of emergency I push a button and the coffin will stand itself up via a hydraulic cylinder operating off a charged pressure tank. This enables me to sleep laying down but in the event of an attack the coffin will "stand" so I can more easily assess any threats, and fire back if needed, but I really only would have to shoot at home invaders who have blowtorches or plasma cutters. I will tell you one thing, that sucks though, if one of the home invaders shoots at the coffin the noise of that bullet bouncing off the steel is very loud. I keep a set of earmuffs in there in case one of the douchebags tries to use it as target practice while I am still inside. That usually is not a problem because you just fire a few rounds off through the gun port and that scares em off. Criminals do not like target enclosures that fire back. One problem with this design is it's not revolver friendly. The "noise" that comes out of the cylinder gap would be deafening, so the gun port is really limited to use of bottom feeders.

Rev 2.is gonna have a small LCD television set and a DirecTV DVR inside it. This way I can even watch television from inside the coffin.

I also had some plans for it involving a device which dispenses an OC bomb into the room, but I'm having some issues with the little air filtering device... it likes to suck the OC fumes back into the coffin, which makes you feel like you're in some sort of a factory where they process Jalapeno peppers in vast quantities. It gets a little "rough" inside there after you deploy an OC grenade. It didn't work too well, kinda like a smokeless ashtray that blows smoke in the wrong direction. Speaking of which, I need to rig that up too, so I can smoke cigars inside the coffin and have air pressure which will blow the smoke out. I figure, what the hell, I can at least offer that feature, until they ban that, too.

The fan system will also work in both directions. You can reverse it in case you drop a large, stinky fart inside it- you wouldn't want to smoke yourself out of the coffin!!!

-Mike

Perfect Mike! Group buy? [cheers]

Yes, the first run of 100 units will only be available to green members.

There will also be a "pay it forward" sort of program for people moving out of MA into more free states... as they won't really need one of these... although I suppose it would make for an interesting conversation piece. I've also got some ideas for NBC filters and a "Faraday Cage" version for the TEOTWAKI/Tinfoil hat crowd.

Rev 3 is going to have a tempur-pedic insert inside it, for those of us with back problems. I'm also working on some kind of a beverage holder so that the unit can go from horizontal to vertical while still avoiding the infamous "lebowski white russian" spillage problem. In Rev 1 all you could do was yell through the external PA horn at the bad guys... "Hey,careful man there's a beverage here!!!!" The new version will have a gyroscopically controlled cupholder which will just tilt the cup when the unit pops up. No sense in spilling your beverage just because of some pesky home invaders.

-Mike

Boston... Glad she's thinking, but woah! Deep breath...

Focus the energy on useful stuff... Practice is good - 2X a week seems like a but much... There's a lot to do at home (dry-fire)... As for the vest, ghillie suit, claymores, etc... think a little more practically about what you can actually deploy when things go bump in the night... Remember you aren't likely to wake up or recognize the threat right away... As with most assaults, you will be playing catch-up on a good-day...

I don't know about you guys, but one of the most difficult and perishable skills is a rapid, well aimed first shot under pressure. Hard to replicate the pressure and you get rusty real fast if you don't practice that... Lots of ranges don't allow drawing and firing, moving, etc... all of which are extremely important to realistically protecting yourself... I'd find a range that does... I'd also do lots of dry-fire practice with this...

It's one of those things that hopefully will never happen (though it is more likely than a house fire by something like a factor of 7), but its also one of those things that some simple prep can either prevent or at least give you a fighting chance. Secure the house - don't give them a soft target...

You don't have to and should not live in fear. Boyscouts have it right - "expect the best, prepare for the worst."

Good luck...

Last edited:
Just read the report and saw the news video. Very sad and frightening how these incidents are becoming more frequent, at least that's how I feel. Y'all probably read about that Dominos pizza delivery guy killed in Jamaica Plain, I can only wonder what the outcome could've been if he was carrying.

Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

And since I know Rob Boudrie is going to say something stupid about me suggesting breaking the law, even though all I did was make a true statement and he knows I don't care, I'll add that anyone who fears the law more than they fear being killed, or standing by while someone they love gets killed in front of them, is an idiot.

Sorry. Can't +rep you twice in a row. Guess I'll have to owe you one!

For you "quick access commandos", I offer the following test. Buy an alarm clock. A big, obnoxious, loud alarm clock. Have your spouse or a friend set it for a random time in the middle of the night, (like 3:14am) and have it well away from your bed. Lock up your home defense piece in your "quick access safe" - you can even have it unloaded for this test if it gives you the warm fuzzies... When the alarm goes off, access your safe, bring your gun and your light into action and respond to a threat in say your kitchen. Time yourself and then get back to us.... Make sure you put 'Sheep' somewhere in your thread title...

The true idiot is the man telling him to break the law on a public forum. I gave him an outline that both the NRA and Rob Pincus preach, do they do it in practice? Probably not. I bet they do keep their home defense gun at easy reach. But I'm not going to tell this guy to break the law, cause that's STUPID. But the rest of it is sound advice. And it's an outline not word for word instructions. So get over yourself.

The true idiot is the man telling him to break the law on a public forum. I gave him an outline that both the NRA and Rob Pincus preach, do they do it in practice? Probably not. I bet they do keep their home defense gun at easy reach. But I'm not going to tell this guy to break the law, cause that's STUPID. But the rest of it is sound advice. And it's an outline not word for word instructions. So get over yourself.

Make sure you look in the mirror when you call someone an idiot - idiot....Point out where I suggested anyone break the law. Please - highlight it for us...

Edit: I could give a flying crap what Rob Pincus, the NRA or Jesus H Christ teaches - they're not the ones defending my property, my family and my life at two in the morning... [thinking]

Last edited:

+1

I didn't say don't break the law or go ahead and break it. I just said the proposed leaving the gun unlocked is illegal in MA. I'm not going to tell anyone else what to do, it's a personal decision and all sorts of considerations come into play. Some folks drive 55 on 128 every day, others go 85+. To each his own.

Make sure you look in the mirror when you call someone an idiot - idiot....Point out where I suggested anyone break the law. Please - highlight it for us...

Edit: I could give a flying crap what Rob Pincus, the NRA or Jesus H Christ teaches - they're not the ones defending my property, my family and my life at two in the morning... [thinking]

When you call someone and idiot for following the law you imply they should do otherwise. So yes that's where you suggested he break the law. [pot]

Nothing says business like the kerchunk of a pump shotgun.

This is true, as this was as close to a home defense situation I ever came too. This was back when I was 17 and still living at home. Two guys walked into my back yard at 10 PM so I grabbed my dads shot gun. The kerchunk of the Mossberg and me yelling at the top of my lungs that I had a gun and called the cops was enough to encourage them to leave, fast.

So I guess we won't be surprised when we see the news report of MassMark being arrested for improper gun storage. [rofl] Since based on his own words, only "sheep" keep their guns stored in accordance with the law...albeit...a dumb one.

So I guess we won't be surprised when we see the news report of MassMark being arrested for improper gun storage. [rofl] Since based on his own words, only "sheep" keep their guns stored in accordance with the law...albeit...a dumb one.

I hear ya man. It's a thread like this that reminds me of a wise saying I once heard. "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still a retard."

Sorry in advance if that comment offended anyone.

Nothing says business like the kerchunk of a pump shotgun.

This is true, as this was as close to a home defense situation I ever came too. This was back when I was 17 and still living at home. Two guys walked into my back yard at 10 PM so I grabbed my dads shot gun. The kerchunk of the Mossberg and me yelling at the top of my lungs that I had a gun and called the cops was enough to encourage them to leave, fast.

Some would say that the racking of a shotgun as a threat deterrence is a bad idea - that a gun without one in the chamber and ready is essentially useless when milliseconds count - but hey, what do I know? It works so well in the movies after all...I'm sure the racking, yelling and 911 calling is an effective tool at thwarting threats - it's a good idea to carry experiences as a 17-year old throughout your life... [thinking]

Hope it helps you sleep better at night...There is a fine line between keeping firearms stored to the letter of the law, actually reading and understanding the law and trusting that a "quick access" safe is the only way to adhere to the law. Post back when you have a basic concept of any of this...

I hear ya man. It's a thread like this that reminds me of a wise saying I once heard. "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still a retard."

Sorry in advance if that comment offended anyone.

I'm sure families of those with mental retardation and those who work to better their lives will not be at all offended by that comment...[thinking]

Last edited:
Yes, keep your gun loaded and duct-taped to your hand as you sleep... because everyone I've talked to has been intricately planning to invade your home any day now.

Yes, keep your gun loaded and duct-taped to your hand as you sleep... because everyone I've talked to has been intricately planning to invade your home any day now.
[rofl][laugh2][rofl][laugh2][rofl][laugh2]

You forgot to mention that he has to keep his tin foil hat on when he sleeps.

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

For the record, Northeastshooters.com does not advocate anyone breaking any law, especially firearms laws.

Anyone posting here that says they are breaking a law or laws, or suggests that others do, does so at their own risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom