• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
In light of what happened in Malden (I didn't want to highjack that thread), my wise has a very pro-active attitude toward our home defense plan. I've run down a few scenarios verbally with her, but haven't really gotten around to actually "doing" anything about it. That home invasion is a couple blocks from her cousin's house, and only a town over from us so she's a little spooked. This is what her "demands" were to me today:

• You will go to the range at LEAST twice week to practice.
  • You will get a bulletproof vest.
  • We need a plan on how to react to these things as a family.
  • I need my LTC ASAP!
  • I need to go to the range with you at least once a week to learn.

and the topping on the cake:

• We NEED MORE GUNS!!!!!

Thank you bad guys for lighting a fire under her ass.

Now, the town we live in isn't exactly GREEN, but I got unrestricted due to the location of my business and properties and hadling large amounts of cash daily (I'm assuming). Does me having "unrestricted" help her in any way of obtaining the same?

I think I'm OK so far with going through some drills with her in the house, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Perhaps say she works alongside you at your business and provide her with a letter on your letterhead stating as such?

I understand the idea of better to have and not need than need and not have but how exactly would a kevlar vest be helpful in a home invasion?

I understand the idea of better to have and not need than need and not have but how exactly would a kevlar vest be helpful in a home invasion?

I can only see it being beneficial if you wake up in the middle of the night to glass breaking downstairs and have time to put it on. Definitely couldn't hurt to have it though

I didn't say all her demands were practical... lol.

DON'T ARGUE WITH THE WOMAN!! SHE SAID I NEED A VEST!!!!! (Never argue when it means more "stuff" for you)

It is better than the alternative, which would be in light of a nearby shooting, your wife wants you to get rid of YOUR guns because they are just icky.

I didn't say all her demands were practical... lol.

DON'T ARGUE WITH THE WOMAN!! SHE SAID I NEED A VEST!!!!! (Never argue when it means more "stuff" for you)

This. If your wife is telling you to buy more guns, buy body armor, and shoot more....you comply unquestioningly.

" Default Home Defense

In light of what happened in Malden (I didn't want to highjack that thread), my wise has a very pro-active attitude toward our home defense plan."

That's a Freudian slip a wife can be happy with.

For the most part, a basic home defense plan is as follows.

In the bedroom you should have the following:

* A gun your are proficient with in a quick access safe.
* Your home and cell phone
* A good flash light

Many will argue, but most experts will say the best thing to do is lock yourself in your bedroom and call 911. Warn the intruder that you are armed and that the police are on the way. While on the phone with 911 explain to the operator that you are armed and for the cops not to shoot you. Stay on the line with 911.

Now this plan assumes you know your home is being invaded, and that you don't have kids to collect and bring into your bedroom. In an ideal situation you'd have a closet in the bedroom where you can store your family and that affords you good shot at the bedroom door without standing in front of the bedroom door.

That's a good basic home defense plan. The NRA has some videos as well as Rob Pincus from the Best Defense series on OutDoor TV and they both follow the same lines, but a lot more detailed.

During the day if you can get away with it, conceal carry, and get a house alarm.

The videos I mentioned also go into detail on what to do, when you hear a sound and you're not sure it's a home invasion or not.

Last edited:
Maybe this should be its own thread but whats better in such a situation... 12 gauge pump, or Glock 21? I personally go with both.

My go to gun after I'm already in bed is the Mossberg 500...if it's during the day, then either the m&p 40c or Glock 19..whatever I happen to be carrying that day.

Kevlar? You should skip that and introduce her to plate carriers. If she wants you really safe Level III is really a minimum requirement [smile]

And I agree with glockstar, shotgun and pistol by the bed along with a flashlight.

[Soap Box] [grin]

And to me there's no such thing as a "quick access" safe. If it's pitch black, you just got woken up by a noise and realize someone is in your house the last thing you need to be doing is pushing buttons or fumbling with keys while you're body is transitioning from groggy-half-asleep to adrenaline-I-may-die mode. I guarantee you won't be able to open the safe in less than 7-10 seconds from the time you woke up.

That doesn't sound like much till you stand at your front door and sprint to any room in your house. I guarantee if you live in a <2500sqft, 1-2 story home you can reach any room in your house in under 10 seconds unless you're really outta shape. Grab a stop watch and try it sometime.

Again that assumes you woke up when the intruder has just entered your home. It's doubtful you would hear a thief or recognize someone was in your home before they were much closer than the entry point.

People watch too many movies/extremely-lame-Brinks-commercials and think that a burglar is going to kick in your front door in broad daylight while you're standing next to your phone and runaway at any hint of danger. This is not how real life works.

Thieves are going to hunt for unlocked entry points or quietly jimmy doors/windows. If someone is going to break into your home when you are there (Yes, they are smart enough to see the cars in the driveway and have probably staked out your house/area at least once) they are going to do it as quietly as possible because they don't want to get caught.

Leave the gun out where you can reach it from bed. If you have kids put it up on a shelf above your head where they can't reach it. If they're too old/tall for that, they are old enough to learn how to handle and use it properly, teach them.

[Steps Down and Puts Soap Box Away] [wink]

I would have stubbed all ten toes running to the gun shop for a Dillon 1050, couple of hi power rifles, and a nice matching set of 1911's.

xtry, I realize you are in CT, but your soap box isn't MA legal [crying]

Also, a dog will give you way more time to react. There is no such thing as a BG quietly jimmying a lock if Fido is around. I agree, seconds matter, and your 4 legged friend will give you a whole bunch extra.

Probably better than any alarm out there! My dog hears a car door shut half a block away at night and she goes nuts. At 110 lbs. that bark is intimidating, but even a little ankle bitter is better than nothing.

All of those things mean nothing unless you're awake and ready when someone decides to break in. So you'll need to add a dog to that list, unless you already have one. One that's aware of it's surroundings.

xtry, I realize you are in CT, but your soap box isn't MA legal [crying]

Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

And since I know Rob Boudrie is going to say something stupid about me suggesting breaking the law, even though all I did was make a true statement and he knows I don't care, I'll add that anyone who fears the law more than they fear being killed, or standing by while someone they love gets killed in front of them, is an idiot.

Being aware is more important than anything. Look at the Malden house picture in the Herald. These guys, the good guys, were on their front stairs talking at midnight. The bushes on either side blocked their view; even when the BG's approach, they start 'chit chatting'! No one is chit chatting with complete strangers at midnight on a city street!! This guy should have had his gun in his hand next to him; he's lucky to be alive!!

Situational awareness is key.

Training is an important facet of it all. Putting rounds on paper in a static situation really isn't the same as moving about. A class like Larry Vickers or something is priceless.

Also, as far as home invasions, there was a small segment on Mythbusters on door chains and dead bolts. I think they used a bit longer screws to attach the chain and the thing stood up to Jamie taking a running jump at it.

In a home invasion, the key is to have time to react. When it happened to my neighbors it appears they either let the people in or didn't even lock their door. I deadbolt and chain my door every night, my pistol is either on me or next to me in quick arms reach.

If you live in a house, look at picking up a dog or something. It doesn't have to be an attack dog like say a GSD.

Last edited:
Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

And since I know Rob Boudrie is going to say something stupid about me suggesting breaking the law, even though all I did was make a true statement and he knows I don't care, I'll add that anyone who fears the law more than they fear being killed, or standing by while someone they love gets killed in front of them, is an idiot.

+1

LOL re Boudrie

I've been really needing to get a dog. Been missing having one, and can't stand my girlfriends cat. At least the dog would put the cat in it's place.

But especially on the hot nights we've had this summer, with the A/C going and a fan, I wouldn't know if someone were in my house til they creaked my bedroom door open.

Dog needed.

Get a big Lab. They might act goofy, but they are very loving and care very deeply about their family. I feel good about my 112lb meathead Black Lab being at home with my family when I'm not.

For you "quick access commandos", I offer the following test. Buy an alarm clock. A big, obnoxious, loud alarm clock. Have your spouse or a friend set it for a random time in the middle of the night, (like 3:14am) and have it well away from your bed. Lock up your home defense piece in your "quick access safe" - you can even have it unloaded for this test if it gives you the warm fuzzies... When the alarm goes off, access your safe, bring your gun and your light into action and respond to a threat in say your kitchen. Time yourself and then get back to us.... Make sure you put 'Sheep' somewhere in your thread title...

For you "quick access commandos", I offer the following test. Buy an alarm clock. A big, obnoxious, loud alarm clock. Have your spouse or a friend set it for a random time in the middle of the night, (like 3:14am) and have it well away from your bed. Lock up your home defense piece in your "quick access safe" - you can even have it unloaded for this test if it gives you the warm fuzzies... When the alarm goes off, access your safe, bring your gun and your light into action and respond to a threat in say your kitchen. Time yourself and then get back to us.... Make sure you put 'Sheep' somewhere in your thread title...

I'd rather have a big, juvenile female cat and a laser pointer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom