• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home Defense Recommendations

Hello everyone I hope you are all well. This is my first thread here on NES and I'm also a first time new gun owner although I do have prior firearms experience. So I bought a pistol in 380 acp for concealed carry. I love the pistol but the problem is I don't believe it is adequate for a home invasion situation especially involving multiple attackers. So I wanted to know what firearm do any of you recommend especially being how Mass has the 10 round limit except the pre bans. Also before anybody says a shotgun unfortunately I cant since the recoil is too hard for my injured shoulder. The neighborhood where I live has always been relatively quiet unfortunately in the past few months there have been some burglaries and even one armed invasion, just like any of you I would go to great lengths to protect my family and I believe that first starts out by obtaining the right tool. Anyway thanks.

Strangely I just posted a sort of general wall of text in another thread that may have some interesting information for you.

In my (limited but well-researched) understanding .380 is somewhat on the threshold of what people consider an adequate defensive round. Some people include it, some don't. If you are serious about changing guns and calibers, 9mm is a great choice. Larger calibers like .40, .45, . 357 sig, 10mm are all going to have downsides that don't really outweigh the terminal performance increase in my eyes. Shoot something off of this list (HST in 124 or 147 in P or +P is a great start), buy a reliable autoloader and pour your money into reasonable training and ball ammunition rather than gadgets and stuff. Go somewhere they rent a bunch of guns (Granite State in Hudson NH will do it by caliber so you can just shoot all their 9mm stuff for one fee, but you buy their ammo) that you're considering and spend an afternoon switching between all of them.

A list you can't go wrong with, pros and cons of each but I think they're generally agreed-upon as being reliable and quality CCW handguns. There are others, I just don't have personal experience with them or a lot of research into them.

Striker-fired
Glock 19 (yes you can get one, call around)
Sig P320 (yes you can get one without a manual safety, call around)
S&W M&P
HK VP9

If you are for some reason insistent upon a hammer-fired, I have less up-to-date recommendations I'm pretty confident in recommending a Sig 226 or 229 or an HK P30. Others with more research and experience will chime in if for some reason you insist on hammer-fired.

You love the 380 you currently have (you don't say what it is though). Does it have any big brothers (same manufacturer)? Say 9mm or 45acp with higher capacity. If so, the manual of arms will likely be the same or at least similar making for an easier transition from one to the other. Anyway, that's where I would start, were I you.

Last edited:
I agree, your carry piece will not be ideal for home defense. I think a large dog and a small shotgun are perfect for the role. I know you said no shotguns but a properly outfitted 20ga semiauto with the right loads will be devastating at in-home distances and is fairly mild to shoot. Depending on how F'ed up your shoulder is, a little pain in the heat of the moment during a home invasion probably wont slow you down much.

That said, if you live it a tiny aparemtment/house that has lots of doors/rooms/corners, you may want to stick with just a hand gun anyway, so you aren't dealing with the mobility problems that a long gun can create. Really any modern, reputable handgun can fill the role, you just need to find one you are comfortable with and shoot well. If you want more than 10 rounds, your pool of options just got smaller, as you will be stuck using post ban mags.

I would stay away from rifles. You mentioned your neighborhood, so i'm assuming your have houses pretty close to your own, and rifle rounds have a lot more energy and penetrating power than pistols. You are responsible for every trigger pull, no matter where the round ends up.

Lastly, give some thought to your home defense plan and different scenarios, don't just buy a new gun and throw it in the night stand.

You'd be better off reinforcing door frames and locks; setting up cameras, motion flood lights, and a security system; and getting a dog.

If you still want a different gun, consider the layout of your house (long hallways vs tight corners); what direction are you most likely to shoot in and what's on the other side of that wall; do you have a place to store a long gun and still have it readily accessible; etc. Also, what are you best with? For example, I'm far better trained with a handgun than a long gun so I made sure to incorporate a good handgun into my setup.

There's a lot more to effective home defense than "just get a new gun", imho.

So shotguns and I guess rifles are out, so handguns and maybe pistol caliber carbines are in?

So if you want over 10 rounds, for a pistol you're looking at Glocks, Beretta 92, Sig P226, S&W SD9VE, not sure what else off the top of my head. For a PCC that takes pre bans, there's the Beretta CX4 Storm and Kel Tec Sub 2000, which take pre ban Beretta mags, the Sub 2000 and Ruger PCC and various AR's which take Glock mags and the Sub 2000 which takes Sig P226 mags.

Also consider a 20 gauge, maybe the Mossberg SA20.

As for me, I alternate, which probably isn't smart. My Beretta 92A1, my SD9VE, my CX4, my AR's, an SKS, Sub 2000's, my WASR, Benelli M2 etc have all been my bedside or home defense gun at some point. Be smart, make sure it has a light rail and a good light.

Last edited:
So shotguns and I guess rifles are out, so handguns and maybe pistol caliber carbines are in?

So if you want over 10 rounds, for a pistol you're looking at Glocks, Beretta 92, Sig P226, S&W SD9VE, not sure what else off the top of my head. For a PCC that takes pre bans, there's the Beretta CX4 Storm and Kel Tec Sub 2000, which take pre ban Beretta mags, the Sub 2000 and Ruger PCC and various AR's which take Glock mags and the Sub 2000 which takes Sig P226 mags.

Also consider a 20 gauge, maybe the Mossberg SA20.

As for me, I alternate, which probably isn't smart. My Beretta 92A1, my SD9VE, my CX4, my AR's, an SKS, Sub 2000's, my WASR, Benelli M2 etc have all been my bedside or home defense gun at some point. Be smart, make sure it has a light rail and a good light.

The Pistol Caliber Carbine is a decent compromise although personally I'd still prefer a rifle in .223 (I understand why many don't). I don't think the choice has to be: No Shotgun = No Rifle = therefore has to be a handgun. PCCs are easy to shoot, almost no recoil, you don't give up ballistics versus handguns but you do get a little better accuracy under pressure if the layout of the home is large enough to warrant a long gun home pro option. How about a bullpup in .223?

380 ACP with some choice JHP would cover a great many scenarios, and if you have a popular pistol, there may be options for extended 10rd mags when concealment is not an issue (ie at home). Sure, there are always going to be more effective/powerful options, but 380 would serve many just fine.

That being said, buying guns is always fun, so maybe upgrade to 9mm handgun or PPC? Both should be close enough to your 380 in recoil that it shouldn't bother your shoulder too much. Better yet, buy a Glock 19 and Glock 19 compatible PPC so that you can swap mags.

Ruger PC9 carbine. Low recoil, easy to hit with. If you can't solve your home invasion problems with a simple carbine you need a better wall around your house. Not a Joe Biden statement as in that is all you should be allowed, just an opinion that that is all you are ever likely to need sparing some whackadoo black swan event.

A handgun on your person is better than a shotgun in the next room. If you don't have a dog, consider one. It doesn't have to be a dog big enough to defend you. Any breed will do. They all have better hearing and awareness than you. They just have to let you know that someone's around and you can take care of the rest. Whatever gun you choose, practice often. When you're scared out of your mind, your shooting will suffer.

for defensive purpose i favor a long gun (autoloading rifle > shotgun). i'm one of those jerks who believe a pistol is only to fight your way to the rifle. many folk go with a light fast projectile like 40 - 55 gr to maximize damage to target and ensure bullet disintegration. the pistol carbines are solid too but i would say recoil is on par with a 223 (due to the PC carbines having blowback actions). the whole overpenetration topic is massively overblown. it's certainly a consideration but no higher on the list than a dozen others. one has to understand the layout of their home regardless of what projectile is being employed.

with a rifle one will be temporarily blinded and deafened if fired indoors. that can be modestly remedied with a linear compensator but it's still an issue. however probably no worse than a 357 mag revolver.

some thoughts for you:
-AR
-tavor if budget allows
-mini 14 (i can hear everyone complaining already!)
-mossberg 930 - with anything other than a slug the recoil is manageable
-pistol caliber carbine - ruger PC carbine, keltec sub 2k, beretta CX4 storm - just make sure to test out whatever ammo you choose to make sure it cycles reliably

handguns also do the job. they all suck compared to a rifle so just pick whatever you shoot the best. 9mm, 45acp, whatever to me it's all a wash.

I EDC a .380 and when I get home it goes next to my 9mm that is my primary gun for home defense. If everything went to pot, I have a .223 rifle in the closet ready to rock.

I EDC a .380 and when I get home it goes next to my 9mm that is my primary gun for home defense. If everything went to pot, I have a .223 rifle in the closet ready to rock.

I’m with you. The blacks rifles are less for the bump in the night scenario than the grid/society breakdown where there’s looting, or an escape from Dannemora (or in my case, MCI Walpole) situation. It’s nice to have multiple options. The handgun will get me to the rifle if I need it, which I probably never will.

Also, there’s lots of love for the Ruger PC9. I shot one for the first time last weekend and it’s sweet, but the Sub2000 or the Beretta Storm are for more compact & maneuverable in the PCC category, I’d definitely prefer one of them in a home protection scenario.

You can also get a carbine in .380, so it takes the same ammo (but not magazines) as your pistol.

Hi Point Carbine Review - Why .380 in a Rifle?

Hi-Point 380TS Carbine, Semi-Automatic, .380 ACP, 16.5" Barrel, 10+1 Rounds - 669530, Semi-Automatic at Sportsman's Guide

Hi-Point carbine in .380 Auto, it does make sense. - Range Hot

Hi-Point® Firearms: 380ACP Carbines

... and if you want it more compact, you can even buy a "bullpup" stock kit for it:
Sexy Hi-Point

Oh, and for you guys who talk about shotguns vs. rifles and "penetration":
The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls - The Box O' Truth

From this articles comes this: "Until someone invents a “Phaser” like on Star Trek, anything that will stop a bad guy, will also penetrate several walls."

Last edited:
Hello everyone I hope you are all well. This is my first thread here on NES and I'm also a first time new gun owner although I do have prior firearms experience. So I bought a pistol in 380 acp for concealed carry. I love the pistol but the problem is I don't believe it is adequate for a home invasion situation especially involving multiple attackers. So I wanted to know what firearm do any of you recommend especially being how Mass has the 10 round limit except the pre bans. Also before anybody says a shotgun unfortunately I cant since the recoil is too hard for my injured shoulder. The neighborhood where I live has always been relatively quiet unfortunately in the past few months there have been some burglaries and even one armed invasion, just like any of you I would go to great lengths to protect my family and I believe that first starts out by obtaining the right tool. Anyway thanks.
No recoil
Mini-Gun.jpg

OK my opinion, YMMV

I am a firm believer of shotguns for home defense

Pistol calibers can go thru a wall, killing a sleeping family member, shotguns rarely penetrate a wall

a shotgun is point and shoot, aiming does not have to be precision.

a shotgun will slow down multiple targets grouped together

Remington 870, 18.5 inch barrel, extended tube magazine, upgraded "furniture" ..... my idea of a close quarters home defense weapon. put a pistol grip on it if your shoulder is an issue

as for the .380..... not a fan of the penetration of most rounds, a great round in places where people don't wear heavy jackets and such ( very popular in Florida and the South West) but around here I want a bit more oooomph especially when there is layered clothing involved

Pioneer Airbow
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ruger-RB0100-Pepper-Spray-Bear-Spray/23808082
Pepper Alarm System - wireless alarm - loss prevention solution
Burglar Bomb

In MA, if you have to use a firearm for Home or any kind of Defense you will most likely,

1. Immediately loose all your firearms (Village Vault wins $$$)
2. Loose any and all firearms licenses (MA AG wins)
3. Be arrested and registered as a guest at your local PD guest suite (free search service)
4. Hire an attorney for a minimum 15k
5. Be branded as an unfit individual
6. Have work, income, and credit implications
7. If you get to lucky "7", you not so lucky

What else did I miss

In TX and __ , your insurance and taxes pay for the cleanup

Last edited:
In MA, if you have to use a firearm for Home or any kind of Defense you will most likely,

1. Immediately loose all your firearms (Village Vault wins $$$)
2. Loose any and all firearms licenses (MA AG wins)
3. Be arrested and registered as a guest at your local PD guest suite (free search service)
4. Hire an attorney for a minimum 15k
5. Be branded as an unfit individual
6. Have work, income, and credit implications
7. If you get to lucky "7", you not so lucky

What else did I miss

In TX and __ , your insurance and taxes pay for the cleanup
This. Absolutely this (except $15K is way too low IMO).

Before getting a new gun, take Kalash's advice. Do everything you can to avoid having to kill someone.
You'd be better off reinforcing door frames and locks; setting up cameras, motion flood lights, and a security system; and getting a dog.
Anyone thinking they might have to defend themselves with deadly force needs to read Andrew Branca's book The Law of Self Defense. ($9.99 Kindle)
The 2 big take-aways are:
1) Successfully claiming self-defense isn't easy. There are 5 criteria your actions must meet and if you only meet 4 you go to jail.
2) Even if it was a legal shooting, it will be the beginning of the worst and most expensive period in your life. Even if everything you did was legal, you might spend most of the rest of your life in jail, after spending our life's savings trying to avoid it. If you don't go to jail you're likely broke and your family, friends and co-workers won't think of you in the same way ever again.

All that said, being in jail and/or broke beats than being dead.

This is all completely false.
Well there is a known documented case in MA, where two police officers who were romanticly involved had a accidental discharge of a firearm under less than clear circumstances, that killed the female officers sleeping child when the bullet went through a wall

Back
Top Bottom