Home Defense Gear - Some Questions

I remember in Desert Storm (?) guys were ordering body armor online and welding scrap metal to their Humvees. That's just not right.
That was OIF 1-3ish. And it’s not perfect, but it’s the reality. There’s no way the DoD can outfit every service member with great kit. That’d be great though. Prior to OIF, up-armored vehicles and plated body armor just weren’t very common anywhere. So it’s reasonable that it wasn’t widely proliferated. And the military does issue ear pro to everyone, it’s just little plugs that reduce situational awareness on patrol. And unfortunately, the little 3M plugs issued during GWOT turned out to be defective and the manufacturer falsified testing. Lots of litigation ongoing for that.

Do you guys really expect to be having extended gun fights inside your house dressed up like you’re at the range or something?

Well how else are we supposed to tactically dive behind the couch wile firing 3 rounds from a pump shotty in slow motion? [rolleyes] Duh... I have level 3A plate lining the bottom of my dining room table for just such an eventuality. Oh and you don't even what to know what the kevlar shower curtain cost. [wink] [laugh]

Instead of three completely different firearms staged throughout your home wouldn't three of the same be better? Or at least setup similar vs irons on one and optics on another? Keep it simple, go with three of the same gun setup the same.

Unless your house is some kind of mansion, irons or optics shouldn't mean a thing. If you can't point blank aim the gun you may have to fire in the house your family is in by muscle memory alone then you haven't trained with it enough. I know, run on sentence runs on... Seriously thoug, it is going to be dark, you're gonna be freaked out and you'll probably have just opened your eyes a min or so earlier. Train train train until it's automatic. I don't own a gun that I can't just lift and hit you with at ~30 ft.

Unless your house is some kind of mansion, irons or optics shouldn't mean a thing. If you can't point blank aim the gun you may have to fire in the house your family is in by muscle memory alone then you haven't trained with it enough. I know, run on sentence runs on... Seriously thoug, it is going to be dark, you're gonna be freaked out and you'll probably have just opened your eyes a min or so earlier. Train train train until it's automatic. I don't own a gun that I can't just lift and hit you with at ~30 ft.
Unless people train and maintain they will 100% miss a target at 30' in the dark. My point wasn't what will work or what works for others but rather why have completely different setups within the one home. Will they all work? Yes but one has light, the other doesn't, one he'll probably be looking for the dot (then realize it's too bright in the dark), ones a semi, ones a pump, etc.

SIG Academy has a nice class where you sit in a shoot-house armchair, a guy kicks a door open, and you dive for a UTM simunition pistol in a nearby drawer. The guy doesn’t know where your armchair is and you don’t know which of two doors he’s kicking open, but you both know the drill. The armchair sitter was shot first every time.

Some lessons:
1. Time & Warning - A hard entry that takes more than a single kick to bust through, a dog barking, etc., give you a chance to OODA
2. If someone intends to enter your home with force and kill you ASAP, they’d better be stupid or you better be armed, ready and waiting

Those same cameras allow you to identify if its a false alarm or go time without ever getting out of bed.....if it IS in fact go time then call 911 and defend as needed since you know exactly where the shitbag(s) are and have the home field advantage.
Exactly I love being able to check my camera while laying in bed if I see a motion light going on or here something

What have you done that you suspect, expect someone to bust down your door and try to kill you? If this is the case it is time to change your lifestyle.

i'm doing something wrong...i keep a glock w/light on my nightstand. nothing more, nothing less for night time cold relief. my little carry pistol is usually on my belt during my waking hours. although now i'm thinking of slinging a rifle across my back also.
Rifle is good, plus an ankle holster. A waterproof quick access gun vault in the shower might be good as well.

😈😉

I can speak from experience here that the last thing you’re going to think of is getting ear pro on everybody when there’s a threat trying to enter or has already entered your home. You most likely will have to move to the threat in your drawers and barefoot to stop it before your family even knows what’s going on.

Do you guys really expect to be having extended gun fights inside your house dressed up like you’re at the range or something?

Balls out naked for me. That should be enough of a deterrent for a home invader.

Ya it does. Had a FB go off about 3-4” from the left side of my face before. Live one not a 4g training load.

Burned my face and ruptured my eardrum. The whole side of my face like 3 hrs later was sagging down like I took a stroke and was completely filled with fluid. Literally hanging down below my jaw line all fat and squishy like.

Took a couple days of anti-histamines to dry up the fluids, thankfully the sagging self corrected once all that was gone also, but I still wake up sometimes with fluid leaking into my ear, it gets kinda crusty but still wet when I stick a finger in there to itch it or clean it out. I can hear my heartbeat coming thru that ear when it’s quiet at night, creepy drum beat sound that keeps you awake and always aches.
Exactly what happens to me 24 / 7. Your the first person i've ever seen mention that part, I made my wife read it cause she says i'm crazy when i explain what is happening every night. If the docs could ever stop the tinnitus it would be nice just to hear "quiet" again...

Exactly what happens to me 24 / 7. Your the first person i've ever seen mention that part, I made my wife read it cause she says i'm crazy when i explain what is happening every night. If the docs could ever stop the tinnitus it would be nice just to hear "quite" again...

What’s that, the banging drumbeats in your ear or the fluid leaking in when you lay down? The sound gets maddening sometimes. I have to keep music or tv on just to fall asleep otherwise, it’s too loud in my head, when nothing is on and it’s supposed to be quiet. Sucks man. It is what it is.

What’s that, the banging drumbeats in your ear or the fluid leaking in when you lay down? The sound gets maddening sometimes. I have to keep music or tv on just to fall asleep otherwise, it’s too loud in my head, when nothing is on and it’s supposed to be quiet. Sucks man. It is what it is.
All of the above, my wife doen't turn the tv off till after i'm asleep either. Not to sound mean but i'm glad there is someone that understands what my 24/7 is like.

All of the above, my wife doen't turn the tv off till after i'm asleep either. Not to sound mean but i'm glad there is someone that understands what my 24/7 is like.

No worries man it’s not mean sounding at all. Frustrating AF though trying to explain it to someone else what it’s like night after night. I use the tv or music timer. Set it and forget it. Turns off when the timer runs out. Works good for me.

Not sure there’s anything to fix it. I haven’t been to the VA for years. NyQuil for the quick knockout and any kind of artificial sound just to dampen out the heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom