• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home CNC engraving machine options?

Golddiggie

NES Member
I'm thinking about getting a CNC engraving machine that can at least handle aluminum (6061 and 7075) to 'mark up' lowers and such. Looking to hear if anyone has one of these (working area to at least handle an AR10 lower) and how it's worked for them. I'm seeing more than a few on amazon currently that aren't stupidly priced. One 4 axis machine is under $800 with other (DIY) options (3 axis) being a lot less (sub $300 in many cases).

Not looking to skin flint on this, but not looking to spend a stupid amount for something I'll use occasionally (or at least that's my initial thought). Knowing that if it can handle at least aluminum, it will handle softer materials. It's also possible, with the correct settings, to make light cuts in harder materials (with the correct bits).

Don't know. My systems were used to cut plastics and to engrave granite headstones. We also engraved wood. No metals. Requires research. Jack.

OK, I had done some research based on CO2 laser isn't absorbed well by metal. Anodized might work but bare aluminium would be poor. A lot of hobby/desktop machines I had looked at were 40-60 watt CO2 lasers.

You end up having to use something like this, rather than marking the actual bare metal.

Premier Laser Marking Spray in Black, Silver, Diamond Dust | Enduramark

Want the ability to go to ATF depth (so at least .003") to make it most useful. Which one of the reasons I thought actual engraving setup and not a frickin laser. I also figured that an actual engraving machine would do almost anything I'd want to use it on.

Want the ability to go to ATF depth (so at least .003") to make it most useful. Which one of the reasons I thought actual engraving setup and not a frickin laser. I also figured that an actual engraving machine would do almost anything I'd want to use it on.

Would not be shocked if the laser that would do the job is multiples more than rotary tool engraver setup.

Would not be shocked if the laser that would do the job is multiples more than rotary tool engraver setup.
Not looking to spend over a grand on this item. Are there any lasers out there that will do the job at that price point?? That will be able to handle the size items I've already mentioned? I've already located an engraver that is a 4 axis for below that budget cap. Can any lasers do that too?

Not looking to spend over a grand on this item. Are there any lasers out there that will do the job at that price point?? That will be able to handle the size items I've already mentioned? I've already located an engraver that is a 4 axis for below that budget cap. Can any lasers do that too?

Short answer no.

I was looking at lasers for a variety of reasons, your budget and application you are better suited with rotary tool engraving.

Just make sure it is repeatable enough that it doesn't do a poor job if you are charging to engrave or can't take the loss on poor internal work. Some machines are better than others.

I have an older Vision Rotary Engraving 12X12 machine. I converted it to run on Mach3/4 software with Gecko controls and new motors. It has its own power supply and a small clamp made for lowers. It also has a table setup that can be used to clamp things down.

Not sure how much I want but if interested it's setup in Jacks Building in Littleton.

This is not a cheap lightweight machine and all US made. Well maybe the motors were made elsewhere.

Attachments

• D885F984-F1D1-4BAE-8E29-3161FFF66B6D.jpeg
    D885F984-F1D1-4BAE-8E29-3161FFF66B6D.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 49
We use a 30 watt fiber laser for metal engraving. If you find you need some metal engraving work done but don't feel like going this route (or can't find a setup in your budget) we can help you out.

Far as lasers go, you won't find any fibers for less than $5k that are even remotely worth a damn.

I'm not very knowledgeable on rotary engravers and the like, but a pin punch engraver could be found for short money and can engrave text into metal. It won't be pretty, but it'll serve a purpose.

We use a 30 watt fiber laser for metal engraving. If you find you need some metal engraving work done but don't feel like going this route (or can't find a setup in your budget) we can help you out.

Far as lasers go, you won't find any fibers for less than $5k that are even remotely worth a damn.

I'm not very knowledgeable on rotary engravers and the like, but a pin punch engraver could be found for short money and can engrave text into metal. It won't be pretty, but it'll serve a purpose.
Looking at engraving 80% lowers (at least initially) that I've finished with different things. Since I'm in NH, and don't have any PRM papers or permission slip, I'm not looking to bring items into the PRM. I could also see using this on other things where I want to be able to then Cerakote once engraved. So any laser will need to be able to make a deep enough cut depth to allow that.

If you saw my posting about the budget I'm setting, you'll see that I'm not looking to get anywhere near $5k. Even $1k would be pushing the budget to the breaking point. I'm already seeing rotary engraving machines that can be had (with a working area that will do the trick) at below $1k. Hell, I've even seen one that's a 4 axis setup for under a grand. That would allow me to engrave tubes and such. Thinking of future purchases/projects here. ;)

Looking at engraving 80% lowers (at least initially) that I've finished with different things. Since I'm in NH, and don't have any PRM papers or permission slip, I'm not looking to bring items into the PRM. I could also see using this on other things where I want to be able to then Cerakote once engraved. So any laser will need to be able to make a deep enough cut depth to allow that.

If you saw my posting about the budget I'm setting, you'll see that I'm not looking to get anywhere near $5k. Even $1k would be pushing the budget to the breaking point. I'm already seeing rotary engraving machines that can be had (with a working area that will do the trick) at below $1k. Hell, I've even seen one that's a 4 axis setup for under a grand. That would allow me to engrave tubes and such. Thinking of future purchases/projects here. ;)

Like I said, I don't know of any that will engrave metal deeply and cleanly. For cerakoting after engraving you'd want to go fairly deep. I go between .020-.035" deep. ATF requirements are .003" which is barely a surface etch to me. You would really have to research the engravers you're looking at for so cheap to see if they can reach that kind of depth.

In the jewelry business we use New Hermes cnc engravers pricey machines but will handle any thing you want to engrave or micro machine, and with slot of people getting out of the business there's a lot of used stuff floating around at a fraction of the price.

The older Ghost Gunner 2's are kicking around used online for anywhere from $1,200-1,500. Definitely higher than your initial budget, but includes the added bonus of 80% milling as well as engraving (assuming correct end mill attachments).

The older Ghost Gunner 2's are kicking around used online for anywhere from $1,200-1,500. Definitely higher than your initial budget, but includes the added bonus of 80% milling as well as engraving (assuming correct end mill attachments).
I already have a Mill to process 80% lowers or anything else I want. :p

I already have a Mill to process 80% lowers or anything else I want. :p

If you already have a mill why not just tooling and programming around engraving?

Or is your mill more the manual variety?

(Disclaimer, I spend most of my mental space with $$$ machining customers so I loose perspective easily)

Mill is not CNC. Not looking to change the G0761 mill into CNC any time soon. I'd rather keep the mill manual (well, except for the power feed it came with) so that I don't need to program everything into it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom