Home Build Registration Question

Not the land of the free but the home of the brave
I was helping a friend register a home build with an EFA-10. There isn't a specific place for home built and they require serial number. Technically the receiver is what needs to be registered but a home rolled receiver has no number on it. Some have trunnions that are numbered but are not legally a receiver or an AR that has nothing. What number do you use? What mfg do you use?

I have entered guns with out serial numbers on FA 10. They where manufactured before 1968 and there are no numbers other than patent #

If your friend is E-FA-10 registering a build off an 80% receiver, he should probably stop for a moment and ponder his existence. That's sort of like, dividing by zero.

-Mike

Still required by law, stupid law, but still law and the Friend doesn't want to even risk getting jammed up.

As for the serial number, you can put NONE in the field or etch a serial number on it. One of mine is Serial Number: N

Still required by law, stupid law, but still law and the Friend doesn't want to even risk getting jammed up.

As for the serial number, you can put NONE in the field or etch a serial number on it. One of mine is Serial Number: N

It is, but my point is there is absolutely no point to building an 80% if you register it. It's like climbing a mountain and then taking a helicopter to get down. [rofl]

If he really wants to be compliant then he should do exactly as you've specified.

-Mike

First build #1, second #2, third #5, fourth #6....wait for the knock on your door. [wink]

Seriously my friend is NOT me. He had already registered a 100% lower build and wants no trouble.

Do you put your own name for the manufacturer on an 80%?

What is the penalty for not registering anyway?

Look up S128A/B under MGL, stare at it for an hour, and then get back to us. I think it might be significant penalty, but it is literally never enforced. (If you read both without falling asleep and going crosseyed, and getting a headache, then it starts to become apparent why it probably never is enforced.... imagine a prosecutor trying to explain that to a jury... ) If someone has actual S128A/B case law/transcripts, I'd love to see it, might make for an interesting read.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section128a

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section128B

BTW, the "without being licensed" stuff only applies to MA dealers under S122, so before you think it's an exception, it's not.

Looks like the first offense penalty is a $500-$1000 fine, after that they can throw you in jail, etc.

-Mike

Last edited:
Not intending to hijack this threat but I have a related question I haven't found the answer to elsewhere. If I buy a few serial numbered stripped lowers from a dealer and throw them in the safe for builds sometime down the road do I still have to do a EFA-10 or is the paperwork filled out with the dealer at the time of sale enough to satisfy the State?
If I do have to do the EFA-10, is it supposed to be within 7 days of the sale or within 7 days of the receiver becoming a functional firearm?

Not intending to hijack this threat but I have a related question I haven't found the answer to elsewhere. If I buy a few serial numbered stripped lowers from a dealer and throw them in the safe for builds sometime down the road do I still have to do a EFA-10 or is the paperwork filled out with the dealer at the time of sale enough to satisfy the State?
If I do have to do the EFA-10, is it supposed to be within 7 days of the sale or within 7 days of the receiver becoming a functional firearm?

When the firearm is capable of discharging a round, you are required by law to do the FA10 within 7 days.

Most non retarded dealers don't file FA-10s for a lower. You have to do it within 7 days after you build a functional gun. Even if I was dumb enough to buy a lower from a place that did that. If you're interested in being firmly within the laws, I'd still re-file when the gun was built because the thing they submitted wasn't for a functional gun.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom