Home Brewing thread, offshoot of the beer thread.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
Fermentation chamber is almost done. Need to apply some more of the aluminum tape and wire up the controller. Hope to get the gas springs installed before it's first use, but can always do that later.

IMG_20200702_180735.jpgIMG_20200702_180741.jpgIMG_20200702_180746.jpgIMG_20200702_180758.jpg

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
Brought one of the 3 gallon kegs of the MO SMaSH English IPA over to my sister's place for our little gathering yesterday. From about 3pm to 9:30pm we proceeded to empty it out. Everyone had some (lowest amount was nephew's girlfriend with just one glass/pint). I think my BIL had the most at about 10, or so (his b-day today, so we were doing the gathering for that). My sister had several, which surprised me a bit. I was driving back to my place so I kept my glass count low (plus I've never been a big drinker, and my dietary needs reinforce that).

They have a small trash can (it was clean at least) that was just about the right size for the keg. Was able to put ice under and all around it (nope, no pictures). Used 4 new 5# bags of ice, plus one that was partial to keep it cold. No drain in the barrel, so it was pretty easy to tell when it was getting low in the keg (floating).

I brought the 2.5# CO2 tank I have, along with my original (single body) regulator for this. Plus a picnic tap to dispense. Worked out really well. First few pulls were more cloudy since it got all kicked up in transit.

I brought the [empty] keg home and cleaned it out. The ounce of EKG (pellets) that I put into it smelled excellent. So that keg is now cleaned, rinsed, and sanitized (along with the picnic tap). Ready for whatever we put into it next. I need to dump another old keg and clean it out soon (too old to even think about drinking).

We also brewed on Friday (mocha porter recipe). Went into the finished fermentation chamber that night. Pitched the yeast around 8:00-8:30 PM (didn't mark the time that close) and it was going ape shit in less than 12 hours. Thank you yeast starters (revived frozen yeast from December 2012), nutrient in the boil, and pure O2 to oxygenate the 20 brix wort. I suspected that I had too much in the fermenter to be safe, so I had fitted it with a blowoff tube setup. Good thing too.

IMG_20200704_133330.jpg

I didn't have it in the 3 gallon bucket originally. I had to clean up some overflow and then put it into the bucket. I'll probably remove that setup today since it's calmed down nicely and it's not needed anymore. I'll do what I can to clean out the hose so that I can use it again (as needed). Next batch I'll chill a bit more (get to just under the yeast temperature range) and set the chamber to the lower 1/3 of the yeast range. This batch got up to about the listed temperature for the yeast, but didn't go any higher. The plan is to let it sit on the yeast for 4-6 weeks total before adding oak cubes. Not sure if I'll transfer it to another vessel for that stage. On one hand it would allow me to harvest the yeast earlier. On the other, it means performing a transfer. Even though I'll use CO2 to perform that, it's still shifting beer around (I do that as little as possible). More I think about it, the more I want to harvest the yeast from this before the oak stage. Then 'rinse' it and preserve a good portion of it (probably freezing it again). I still have at least a few tubes from the previous time that have a good amount of yeast in them.

BTW, the yeast used (if anyone wants to know, and I didn't post it earlier) is Wyeast 1882-PC. It's not being offered this quarter (already looked). You never know when it will be offered again. Which is why I froze the tubes of it all those years ago.

If anyone wants to try some Wyeast 1882-PC for a brew, shoot me a PM. You can come over and get the tube(s) and I'll tell you in detail how I got them revived and ready to go ape shit in short order. ;)

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
Looks like the batch of mocha porter (brewed Friday) has finished fermenting already. I use the internal temperature to decide what's going on. It's dropped to pretty much ambient temperature now. So maybe three days to go from pitching the yeast, to either done or damned close to it. Of course, it was going absolutely BALLISTIC at <12 hours in.

Since the yeast calls for a "A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete" I'm going to let it sit for the rest of the month. 99% certain I'll transfer it to another stainless vessel to age on oak cubes for [about] two months. Then move it to chill/carbonating kegs. Of course, I can also start carbonation before transferring it since I use vessels capable of handling more than enough pressure. With the new fermentation chamber, I can also cool down the batch to get better pre-carbonation levels before moving to the serving kegs. I'll probably also cool down the beer a week before we transfer it to get more yeast to flocculate out.

For those interested, this is the yeast I used in the batch (revived after being frozen for 7-1/2 years): Thames Valley Ale II | Wyeast Laboratories

dlarge

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Woke up to this. My first barleywine attempt yesterday, 1.094 OG, triple pitched rehydrated Nottingham Ale dry yeast (per Brewfather calculation), using a blow off tube. Cleaned it up as best I could, scooped some krausen out, and replaced with clean top. Keeps filling up the blow off tube vessel (1/2 gallon jug) every couple of hours. Nuts.

IMG_0339.JPG

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So, just got all my equipment out to start of batch of Oktoberfest and damn, misplaced or used up my Star San. Any ideas on where in can some no rinse sanitizer on a Sunday morning, early afternoon? Candia road brewery says open at 11 but that’s like a half hour.

edit: just found some. Woohoo. Let’s do this.

Thread hijack, who else is making fall beers?

Last edited:

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
Not a "fall beer" but need to transfer the mocha porter and age it on some oak cubes. Need to check vessels and pick one to shift it to. Might do that later today. Wanted to age it for two months but if it's going to be available for Thanksgiving, it won't have as much time. Also thinking of harvesting the yeast to replenish what I used from the frozen stock.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
This is for wine. Using my large pails for beer at the moment. What’s a tall pony? Just need something with 6 gallon capacity for clearing.
7.75 gallon capacity, stainless steel so zero chance of light penetration. I also can deal it up tight and use a CO2 push to transfer. Means no lifting to move the finished product. I've used these for mead as well. Plus they come with very study handles built in. Not to mention a bit of a conical bottom for the yeast to settle into. I have liquid dip tubes cut to leave set amounts behind.

Got my mocha porter in one right now. It's getting shifted to another on Sunday (brew day) for aging on oak cubes for 4-6 weeks before getting carbonated. Planning for it to be ready for glass on Thanksgiving.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
Anyone got a good recipe for a coffee porter? Preferably an extract version (although I can convert).
Closest I have is my mocha porter. I've not brewed extract in about a decade. Going all grain is not as difficult as some people seem to think. There are several different ways to go about it. From BIAB to cooler mash tun to stainless vessels. I'm using keggles for all three of mine now (15.5g capacity FTW). I did BIAB when I started off with going all grain (on a stove).

NHKevin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone got a good recipe for a coffee porter? Preferably an extract version (although I can convert).
Jasper's has a recipe list. Be cool and buy your ingredients there if you use his recipes.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
Well, looks like the stir plate I bought back in 2010/11 has finally decided to die, or effectively so. Luckily the starter I got going on Tuesday night was finished before this morning. Sometime between 9:00am and 9:30am it stopped working. Took the cover off of it to see if it was something I could fix. Nope. Or at least not without taking the motor apart to see what's up with it. IF I give the magnets a little push, they spin. Not viable to do in a flask with starter wort and yeast in it.

I looked on Jasper's site and that says they don't have any in stock. I might give them a call to see if that's true or not. Since I've found their site is not always accurate (sadly). If they don't, I'll just order one from either MoreBeer or NorthernBrewer. I might toss a few more things into my cart to get free shipping. ;)

Top Bottom