• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holyoke police arrest 2 dressed as cops in armed home invasion

Reptile

NES Member
HOLYOKE – Two men accused of dressing up as cops, breaking into a home and robbing a family of four at gunpoint are being held without bail on multiple charges including assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

The two men were arrested immediately after the suspected crime occurred thanks to the work of several police officers and dispatchers who responded quickly to a call for help, Police Lt. James Albert said.

Jahmal Brangan, 47, and Jose Alberto Santana, 29, both of Holyoke, were charged with home invasion, impersonating a police officer, two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, breach of peace while armed and armed robbery, Albert said.

They were arraigned in Holyoke District Court on Tuesday and are being held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing. Brangan is known to police, Albert said.

Dispatchers received a 911 call at about 9 p.m., Monday, but no one responded when they answered. In the background they could hear a “horrendous” disturbance and traced the call to a multi-family apartment building at 47 Vernon St., he said.

Why are Irishmen always drawn to law enforcement?

Were they wearing masks?
I doubt it.

They were dressed as cops. Presumably so they can trick the victims to open the door.

If they had masks on, they may as well not be dressed as cops.

I wonder if they were robbing drug dealers.

Any pics of their costumes? This is why it pays to be familiar with how the local PD dresses, though the LECs throw some confusion into that.

Another reason why, I don't care what costume you have on, I don't care what you are yelling; unless I see a search warrant I'll consider it an armed home invasion and act accordingly.

I bet the day before they watched Training Day. "Yeah man. It's not what they know, it's what they can prove. We gaht dis."

Any pics of their costumes? This is why it pays to be familiar with how the local PD dresses, though the LECs throw some confusion into that.

how do you know it's not Feds paying you a visit? If your town is small, they may call a SWAT from another town. Also even post office has armed gangs officers, so you probably need a weighty book the size of ensucklopedia just to ID all the goons at your door. Do you think that they will be standing by your door while you are trying to figure out who they are?

I'm not opening my door for feds without a lawyer so I'm not worried, as for SWAT I know that CEMLEC is covered in multicam gucci gear and MetroLEC is all ACUPAT last I checked. If there's a stack of guys outside my house with absurdly expensive and matching gear I can safely assume they're legit.

Sometimes I wonder what has happened in this country. There should be two primary means of serving a warrant.
  1. Law enforcement knock at the door. They say "We have a warrant. You can call 911 to verify that we are here. Please secure your dogs and open the door." The police should be prepared to wait two minutes or more before further action.
  2. Law enforcement knock at the door. They say "We have a warrant. Please secure your dogs and open the door immediately." At this time, you should be able to look out the window and see multiple marked local law enforcement vehicles with lights flashing. All the flashers should be turned on at the same time as the knock.
Of course, the scenarios above cannot apply to every warrant, but I think more than 90% of cases could be safely covered with these methods. Any warrant that uses more forceful methods should require special authorization and require after action review to insure that the methods reduced rather than increased overall violence.

For search warrants, there is also the option to use surveillance from the street to find an opportunity to enter the house when it is unoccupied. In these cases, animal control professionals can deal with the dogs.

I think the judge will realize they were just turning their life around and may only give them a few years if that.

I would tell the judge I identify as a LEO and already have the clothes so could I get the LEO rate when doling out sentences? Also, can I retain the pension of a cop? I would really like to get out of the business.

[QUOTE="Reptile, post: 6586738, member: 166

I wonder if they were robbing drug dealers.
[/QUOTE]
The story said that the police will not say what was stolen from the family because the case is still under investigation.

Back
Top Bottom