Holyoke grandfather arraigned after grandson, 5, brought loaded gun to city elementary school

Reptile

NES Member
HOLYOKE — A 53-year-old city man on Tuesday pleaded not guilty to criminal charges after a grandson brought his loaded pistol to a city elementary school in December.

Juan A. Barreto-Hernandez pleaded not guilty to improper storage of a firearm and reckless endangerment of a child. Holyoke District Court Judge Matthew Shea released Barreto-Hernandez without requiring him to post bail and ordered him not to possess any firearms.

No harm, no foul!
Really? You think it's ok to allow a 5 year old to have unsupervised access to a loaded firearm and take it to his school? This isn't about gun rights, it's about basic responsibility.

I use to bring a rifle and a pistol to high school for shooting class.
A 5 year old to an elementary school, not really the same thing as a high school shooting event.

No excuse for this. I hope they throw the book at him.

I remember when I was five. The world was clear back then. Everything made sense. Not so much anymore.

Sorry grandpa. Rugrats will crawl right into your shit. They know no bounds...

a little sad that a five year old was not taught proper gun safety by his dad.
I did not have free access to my own gun until i was ten. But was shooting at five at the range (.22 rifle), and damned well knew enough to not bring a loaded gun with me anywhere!

He plead not guilty? I'm pretty sure this guy will take a plea bargain at some point. They have him locked pretty good on the charges being as his grandson had his gun in his backpack pretty much proving he didn't store it according to mass storage laws. This one will be interesting to watch though. With all the criminals the da let's off dropping gun charges for "posession of a fire arm without a license" in mass......this guy should get a sweet deal......but I doubt that is going to happen here......cuz he was a licensed citizen.

I did not have free access to my own gun until i was ten. But was shooting at five at the range (.22 rifle), and damned well knew enough to not bring a loaded gun with me anywhere!
My son was taught all the gun safety when he was 4 or 5. That said......all my fire arms have always been in a safe. It just makes sense TO ME to store them that way. Gun storage laws are good advice that nobody should have to obey by law.

Really? You think it's ok to allow a 5 year old to have unsupervised access to a loaded firearm and take it to his school? This isn't about gun rights, it's about basic responsibility.
Again, no harm, no foul! You want to legislate responsibility?? I don’t. I want less laws, and way less ‘law makers’.

My son was taught all the gun safety when he was 4 or 5. That said......all my fire arms have always been in a safe.

Sure YOU lock your guns because young kids are around. But what happens when johnny visits his friend Pete, and pete’s dad left a loaded .45 is the bedroom closet? Only proper training will keep you kid safe in this world!

The key is if the kid is ready. Some eight year olds are responsible enough (especially in rural areas)...some 21 year old’s are not ready yet

Proverbs 22:6 “Train up a child according to the way he should go; / Even when he is old, he will not depart from it.”

Irresponsible gun use makes the rest of us look bad. And gives the antis more excuses for their agenda. So I hope this guy learns his lesson. It's easy to use guns safely.

Same here. Shooting with my Dad using his .22 (which I still have) at five or six.

I also had access to my Dad's guns as they were in the gun rack (unlocked and unloaded) on the wall display in our living room (early- to mid-60s in Somerville). And I could only imagine the hell to pay had I ever touched one unsupervised.

Same here. Shooting with my Dad using his .22 (which I still have) at five or six.

I also had access to my Dad's guns as they were in the gun rack (unlocked and unloaded) on the wall display in our living room (early- to mid-60s in Somerville). And I could only imagine the hell to pay had I ever touched one unsupervised.
Back then parents were parents and not friends to their children. I bet that hell was corporeal punishment. My Dad had a 2x4 with a leather strap. It came out rarely and only under certain circumstances. I did my best 😇

He plead not guilty? I'm pretty sure this guy will take a plea bargain at some point. They have him locked pretty good on the charges being as his grandson had his gun in his backpack pretty much proving he didn't store it according to mass storage laws. This one will be interesting to watch though. With all the criminals the da let's off dropping gun charges for "posession of a fire arm without a license" in mass......this guy should get a sweet deal......but I doubt that is going to happen here......cuz he was a licensed citizen.

Wonder if he's going to argue Heller. We are the first ones to say storage laws are unlawful, but with the same breath we are tossing this guy under the bus for not following the unlawful law.

The real problem with this is one of the big problems we have with society- lack of responsibility.

The key is if the kid is ready. Some eight year olds are responsible enough (especially in rural areas)...some 21 year old’s are not ready yet
Not really the point. We aren't talking about a kid taking a gun out back on the farm for a little plinking. It's not about the gun, or the proper use or possession of a gun, or even what the storage laws are.
This is about responsibility. And the fact is that this kid is not ready to make these decisions on his own. Taking a loaded gun to an elementary school shows that.
This is about responsibility. A gun owner should keep his/her guns out of the hands of those not responsible. This wasn't a situation where a group of thugs smashed their way into a safe. The gun was accessible.
Forget the storage laws, it's still reckless endangerment. And just plain irresponsible. And making excuses for this kind of behavior is BS.
And saying no harm no foul in this case is also BS. What are they supposed to do, leave the gun with the kid in the school until AFTER he kills some kid, maybe your kid. Because that's the only way you can apply this standard in this case. Can't take the gun away (confiscate property) because no one has been hurt, I guess we just wait. Sorry, my kids mean more to me than that.

We won’t know, since this kid was not properly trained.
I was responsible enough to handle firearms when i was five. I bet a lot here on NES were too.
The big difference—our dads just came back from WW2 or Korea, and KNEW how to train us

Agree. I had access to guns at age 5, but knew enough from being taught that I should NOT bring one to school....

We're talking about Holyoke (aka Holy Smoke)
I'm sure he wasn't the only kid in school that day carrying a gun, he was just the only one to get caught.

Back
Top Bottom