• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holy Grail - A .455 Webley Mark VI - 1918

USMA-82

NES Member

Webley Mark VI Revolver, .455 Webley caliber - 1918

Another one of my "gotta haves" finally showed up at the doorstep. It's a British Webley Mark VI Revolver in the original .455 caliber. For those of you not familiar with the gun, here's the background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley_Revolver

This was an online auction score. Over the past few years I have lost many bids because I couldn't find one with the right combination of price and condition. Well, this one finally showed up, and it's a winner. It will make a nice older brother for my Albion manufactured Enfield.

All matching serial numbers, original bluing, original grips (without the chip!) and in the original caliber. Most of these were "shaved" when imported to the U.S. so they could use the more available (and relatively inexpensive) .45 ACP round with moon clips.

You can tell the ones that have been shaved, because the bottom third of the serial number along the rim of the cylinder is gone. Also, the face of the cylinder would be lacking the typical stampings found on most British guns.

Ammo is rather scarce, but I did manage to score some boxes of Fiocchi at Shooters Outpost a few weeks back. Lee makes .455 Webley dies (got them), and I found a fellow from the British Militaria Forum who casts the right bullet - a .455 diameter, 265 grain round nose with a hollow base.

The only "negative" on this gun is that the extractor has been replaced - probably an arsenal repair. I can live with that.

Anyway, I managed to put some rounds downrange today, and it was very comfortable shooting. Accuracy was "battle sufficient" at 25 yards.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Well done. I'd like a Webley at some point, and also a Colt Victory or M17 .45acp. No wheel guns in the cabinet at this point.

T.

Great score! One day I'll be on the hunt for one of these myself.
I've got ~ 200 rounds squirreled away after test firing my S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejector in .455 Webley Mk. II.
The ammo is made by Eley and Fiocchi.

One day I'll be on the hunt for one of these myself.

The hunt was on and over within 5 minutes last Saturday.
I went to a service pistol/revolver competion and came home with one more gun than I had left home
with in the morning. I haggled an unshaved, all matching Mark VI in VG condition off of an Englishman who
is living in Germany and is rather into service rifle shooting. After a lively conversation about his Mark VI he
promised to sell it to me if he couldn't hit sh.t with it. A lousy score and $415 later the gun followed me home.
The Mark VI is pretty much the only British service handgun made in the UK I wanted to add to my collection
(the others are pure Yankees, being a S&W 2nd Model HE in .455 and a S&W .38/200).

Bucket list checked for this one, now on to an as-new MAS 36 w/ bayo I fondled today. Waiting for the old-
timer to let me know 'combien', knowing he owes me a favor[smile]

The Mark VI has ended up in the 'captured weapons' section of the vault and there's proof enough that
these were captured from the Brits and used by the Wehrmacht; i.e. the gents of the Afrikakorps below.

Back
Top Bottom