Holy crap, this hobby is expensive

June4th

NES Member
I'm a sloppy bastard when it comes to bookkeeping but I finally hauled my ass and categorized all the money I spent on this hobby, as I passed the 1st anniversary of getting my LTC. I'm not telling the exact figure, but it could be enough to buy a new Detroit-made whatever to stimulate the economy.

More than half the money I spent on NES classified. So for all the folks I bought stuff from, thank you and please do your patriotic duty and buy some guns and ammo!
[party]

Having mine for a little over a year I could say what i spent on guns. I never kept track of ammo/supplies but im sure that's up there too. I could have spent a lot more but i decided i made enough purchases last year. I have only made 1 purchase this year so far. Well technically 3 on paper but 2 out of the 3 were replacements for ones I sold and they paid for themselves.

Not sure that else to buy this year.

It sure is an expensive hobby but my other hobbies and cars and boats. Neither of those are cheap. Is there such a thing as a cheap hobby?

I feel your pain, I just got my LTC in January and have spent almost $5K already. And I still don't have my AR yet.

I finally hauled my ass and categorized all the money I spent on this hobby

I'm afraid to do this because I really really don't want to know the answer.

On another note, I hate it when real life intrudes on my firearms purchasing. I was all set to buy a Ruger 10/22 from a member here and my refi came through on my house. It's great news as the rate is 1.375% lower than my old one but I need over $3K for closing costs.

I'm thinking about selling the house and living in a van down by the river so I can spend more dough on guns and ammo.

Next thing you knwo though if you were really into knitting you'd be buying the top of the line knitting stuff, knitting really expensive materials [laugh]

This is true, my gf is into some knitting and I was shocked at some of the prices I saw when I accompanied her into a knitting store! [shocked]

Still it doesn't compare to firearms cost.

You bet your ass it is. A big cost center for me became ammo... so I had to start reloading otherwise I literally would not be able to afford to shoot... and even as it is, I tend to take a "siesta" from going to the range much from December to the middle of March or so every year.

My only advice for any newb is after you buy your first 2 or 3 guns, step back and try to make more methodical, more thought out purchases. You will save a shitload of money by doing this. When I initially was licensed, in the first year or two, literally a third of the guns I bought I ended up selling because they lost some of their luster. Now I only sell stuff if I'm backed into a corner. The lesson in this is it's cheaper (and better) to buy it once and never sell. If you're considering a new gun, try to find someone that already has one of the same and try it out first. One other tip is, and this goes without saying, but if you're looking for something that's been around awhile, consider trying to find a used gun. You'll save money there and there are a lot of serviceable, perfectly good used firearms out there. Don't fall for the stigma of thinking "Oh, but it's not NEW... " I've bought used guns that might as well have been unfired. There are some great values out there.

-Mike

I certainly have done my fair share of buying and put myself in a bit of debt because of it. I really like what drgrant posted (#11) - those are some great rules to follow to assure your don't end up going overboard. Every used gun I have purchased has been just as good as brand new for less the cost. Reloading will help a bit to keep the cost of shooting down or overall let you shoot more.

My only advice for any newb is after you buy your first 2 or 3 guns, step back and try to make more methodical, more thought out purchases. You will save a shitload of money by doing this. When I initially was licensed, in the first year or two, literally a third of the guns I bought I ended up selling because they lost some of their luster. Now I only sell stuff if I'm backed into a corner. The lesson in this is it's cheaper (and better) to buy it once and never sell. If you're considering a new gun, try to find someone that already has one of the same and try it out first. One other tip is, and this goes without saying, but if you're looking for something that's been around awhile, consider trying to find a used gun. You'll save money there and there are a lot of serviceable, perfectly good used firearms out there. Don't fall for the stigma of thinking "Oh, but it's not NEW... " I've bought used guns that might as well have been unfired. There are some great values out there.

-Mike

This should be required reading for ALL new shooters. Great advice.

It's easy to get caught up in a buying frenzy at first but it's also easy to end up disappointed in some of your purchases if you don't do your research.

Look at the bright side: everything you bought before November of last year is probably now selling for twice what you paid for it.

I feel like when you first get in to it is one of the most expensive periods. It's new and exciting and you want at least one of everything. Also you're not an experienced buyer so you may be more apt to over pay for items or you buy things without first researching them. I've calmed down especially since I just bought a house. That's going to seriously cut in to my fun money.

You bet your ass it is. A big cost center for me became ammo... so I had to start reloading otherwise I literally would not be able to afford to shoot... and even as it is, I tend to take a "siesta" from going to the range much from December to the middle of March or so every year.

-Mike

This is 100% true. The first two guns i bought are the only 2 guns i sold. In my defense. I swapped out my good condition G27 that i paid a dealer price for for a NIB pre-98 G26 I paid ALOT less for. The other was my mosquito. I was stupid and used gun scrubber on it and greyed out the plastic. I sold it for short money and bought a two-tone.

Since then I have bought all my guns on this site or gun broker, unless is it new and a MA dealer is willing to give me a good price. I also research the hell out of my purchases and make sure I am buying good quality guns that will fit my purpose. It saves a lot of money.

A lot of people make impulse buys. Don't get me wrong I want to do that ALOT but i usually stop and think is this what i want to spend my money on since i wont waste ALL my money on guns. For example that Desert Eagle in the classifieds is calling my name but do i want to tie up that much money to sit in my safe? It would be a cool show piece and something to talk about for sure. It would probably hold its value pretty good i would think.

Last edited:
My latest shotgun purchase officially completed my 'one of each' period. Now if I could only find two HK P7 without breaking the bank. [rofl]

hk-p7m8.jpg

I have had my LTC for a week and a half, and my 9mm for about the same. I have already put 500 rounds through it and have been to Bob's Tactical four times. I went to Collectors Gallery the other day to buy a trigger lock, and I am ready to go back to buy the WASR-10 I saw (If it's still there). I plan on going to the Cape Ann gun club on Sunday for the public shoot...so it's time to buy more ammo. It is already ridiculous.

I don't even want to think about how much I've spent or calculate how much of my time goes into this hobby. It's worse than crack I tell you. What makes it worse is that my eyes are bigger than my wallet and inevitably I get into trouble.

I've made a decision though. I have enough weaponry to fulfill my needs and I am going to supress my wants. My only focus now is ammo and last gun purchase will be a pimptastic nickeled Colt 1911 when I turn 40.

**oops forgot the group buy lower and lpk. I then just need to get an upper. That's all....[rolleyes]

Last edited:
I got into gun in 2001 and I have spent a crap load of money on gun. It got so bad I had to get my FFL in 2005 so that I could sell guns to make some money to buy guns for myself. The problem with that is I buy a collection of guns from someone and I end up keeping half of them because I like them. I think I'm using the Gov model of Defeset spending. Soon I going to have to whore myself out on the street corner to make some money. This hobby is addicting.

I don't even want to think about how much I've spent or calculate how much of my time goes into this hobby. It's worse than crack I tell you.

i totally agree with you..im afraid to add up the total between the firearms,ammo, mags & optics..i probably would of had more then enough $$$ to buy that brand new harley davidson i wanted last summer.

im pretty bad instead of "one of each type" im more of a "2 firearms per caliber kind of guy" lol

i have definitely cooled down alot..after realizing i have more then plenty to last 2 life times.

Last edited:
its not a hobby, its a passion... and this passion is why i'm still renting and not a home owner as of yet...[smile]

[rofl]

i rent because i'm NOT settling in this state! drive a 9 year old car because....

i don't buy flashy things, i stay low key.....

i keep repeating these things to myself because.....

[hmmm] 20 itraders in the last 12 months... just here... not counting store purchased goods

i too, could have put a down payment on a house or got a new car....

i live within my means though.

Back
Top Bottom