• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holsters

Lots of great advice on guns and laws, but I wondered what everyone's opinion on holsters was. IWB or OWB? Any thoughts about "belly band" holsters? Different holsters for different seasons and clothing?

I have a cheap fabric Uncle Mike's which I used at 1 o'clock
I have a Galco Leather IWB which I wear at 5 o'clock
I have a Thunderwear holster which is only worn one way.

I like them all but find that no one holster works with all clothes. I like them all. You need different holsters and possible different guns for different seasons. I like a bigger gun in the winter because my coat covers it up. Personal preference.

I have a shoulder holster which I wear mostly at work, due to activity levels(high). An IWB is my secondary carry which is equal to the shoulder but on less active days. I do have a Fobus OWB that is primarily used for IDPA. I am looking into a Don Humes Kydex lined holster for IWB that will work for everyday and IDPA.

I agree that it's best to collect a variety of holsters for different circumstances, for my M&P 40c I have a Galco IWB, a Don Humes JIT OWB, an Uncle Mikes and a generic IWB which is surprisingly comfortable- of them all, the Don Hume might be my favorite, it doesn't bother me as much when driving and/or sitting and is highly concealable for an OWB.

+1 for having multiple holsters for different occasions/weather/clothing restrictions.

Raven Concealment System Phantom OWB holster for G26 = warm weather
Raven Concealment System Phantom OWB holster for G19 = cold weather
Comptac CTAC Slide IWB holster for G26 + G19 = rarely warn anymore since the Phantom's conceal so well.
Smart Carry for Kahr MK9/G26 = when i can't have a gun on the belt
Desantis Super Fly pocket holster for MK9 = still getting used to pocket carry... but it's a nice option... I have to find a better pocket holster for jeans...

I carry the same gun in the same place in the same holster, 365 days a year. It's a .45 auto in a Mitch Rosen leather belt holster. I don't change anything because if I need that gun, I don't want to have to think about anything.

I carry the same gun in the same place in the same holster, 365 days a year. It's a .45 auto in a Mitch Rosen leather belt holster. I don't change anything because if I need that gun, I don't want to have to think about anything.

I used to subscribe to this school of thought as well.... but honestly... sometimes it's just not possible to have a gun on your belt. So I need other options to go to as well.

When I lived in MA, I preferred to use a Tucker Gunleather Cover up plus IWB. I found it would conceal very well but was uncomfortable and drawing smoothly took quite a bit of pratice. When I used an OWB I was concerned about printing and having my shirt or jacket fly open.

I have used the Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig for a Govt. 1911 with good results. Its fairly comfortable and the weight of two spare mags helps to balance things out..

I tried a kydex paddle and it seemed like a good compromise as I could shift it around for better concealment but after a couple of months I began to notice some obvious marks on my pistol's finish.

I live in NH now so I don't really care if I'm printing or if my shirt opens and exposes my sidearm briefly.

Call it Semi-Open Carry if you will, I've gone back to a leather OWB but with a retention strap for the few times I might open carry. I'd like to find a nice leather open top OWB or leather paddle for concealed carry. I'll never use Kydex again, it mars the finish too much.

i am very happy with my c-tac most of the time; i have a smartcarry i use at work, which is comfortable enough, so long as i don't sit down.

I have both, but prefer OWB because I don't have a lot of extra room IWB. If I listen to my Doctor and drop twenty pounds I try IWB again.

Whatever you buy purchase a good belt, it can make a big difference in proper support.

Back
Top Bottom