• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holsters

just to try to not drive this MFer completely off track this post now contains the word "holster".

holster.

Oh fine. My dragon leatherworks flapjack owb holster was very comfortable on friday. The fudds didn't even notice the horror of a female carrying. However, it was only concealable because I was bundled up like Ralphie's little brother :)

My understanding is that a quality IWB holster isn't something you just find on the wall in your local gun shop. I have a Crossbreed, and if it weren't for the group buy here, it would have been $80-$90. That's about what you should expect to pay. I've also heard positive things about CompTAC holsters. It's worth spending the money for quality.

I'll happily accept any and all SERPA holsters that the more fluent CCW folk are discarding.

And I'd be happy to render what I feel are the vague, false generalities presented into a short list of generally true truisms:

1) Anybody who owns a retention holster and doesn't build muscle memory by practicing drawing from it--is a moron.

2) Anybody who tries to shoot high-speed from a retention holster without first building muscle memory through repetition--is a moron.

3) Anybody who owns four or five different pistol platforms (oh and four different retention holster designs) and believes that they are each and all perfectly inter-changable during a split-second adrenaline dump loss of fine motor coordination deadly-force tunnel-vision encounter, yeah, that person--is a moron.

4) Anybody who makes Youtube videos of his Delta Team quick draw skills (and thumbs the safety OFF a cocked and locked 1911 on the drawstroke so he looks like a super fast operator/yeah I've seen the video)--is a moron.

I'm sure I missed a few, but oh well.

I'd also say if you are on a budget and own 1 pistol and 1 type of retention holster AND you are diligent enough to practice drawing with serious attention to detail--and don't feel a need or are bound by your job description to wrestle with violent felons in snow or sand--you'll probably get home alive.

But if anybody is discarding SERPAS, hey I'll take them, too. They attach kinda nicely with drywall screws to bedframes and doorjambs and storage closets and other places you might (repeat: might) want to have a firearm at the ready. But hey, YMMV.

And--back on point--the Crossbreed get excellent user reviews for comfort.

My understanding is that a quality IWB holster isn't something you just find on the wall in your local gun shop. I have a Crossbreed, and if it weren't for the group buy here, it would have been $80-$90. That's about what you should expect to pay. I've also heard positive things about CompTAC holsters. It's worth spending the money for quality.

I carry in a CTAC, it is very comfortable, and secure. There is no gimicky button or active retention, but it did keep my Glock 29 in its place while I was wrestling with a few buddies.

I got it at a gun show, there was a guy pushing Comp-Tac tucked away in a corner.

To be honest, I do own a Serpa from when I bought my first gun. Not to long ago, I dug it out of my basement and used it in a pinch at a steel challenge match. I was so frustrated with it I wanted to destroy it. But a few guys there talked me into holding on to it as a backup/spare. I have since driven the pin that holds all the serpa-ness nonsense out, removed the silly active retention stuff, and have it as a standby.

Geez, I didn't mean to trigger a s***storm. I have the Serpa holster for a couple of reasons. First, the holster recommended to me when I bought my first carry piece was, IMHO, a minimalist pos that couldn't be adjusted, was not easy to draw, and couldn't be positioned well. It either worked for you or it didn't. I went to a, IDPA practice and asked what to get, and someone recommended a basic Serpa holster. I tried it, I liked it, and I use it for ccw sometimes.

I practice draw with it a lot, and have never drawn with my finger on the trigger. I know people don't like them, and while I like the idea of a retention holster, I know it isn't necessary. That said, if I can draw in under a second, and have never had a jam, and I am comfortable with it, what is the problem?

I welcome suggestions for other carry holsters, but don't want to spend several hundred dollars to find just the right one, and like I said, I like the one I have. I want to use the same model/style holster for all my carry weapons.

I expect this forum represents the whole range of shooters(pardon the pun), and that there a a lot of people who want to be able to draw and shoot on target within .3 seconds. And there are probably plenty who just want to have the gun on their person, concealed. When I use the SuperTuck, I feel pretty confident that I have good concealment, but not an easy draw, and a complicated replacement. With the Serpa, concealment isn't as good, but draw and replacement is pretty good with a range of positions. So an alternative OWB would have to offer all the features that the BlackHawk CQC does with 'better' safety and functionality, with or without retention.

Holster

That said, if I can draw in under a second, and have never had a jam, and I am comfortable with it, what is the problem?

You just haven't had a problem yet. There is a reason that FLETC banned the Serpa and not other holsters:

SPECIAL BULLETIN
National Training and Emergency Operations Branch
Officer Safety Bulletin

Good Afternoon,

In our efforts to continually stay abreast of issues relating to officer safety, the National Training and Emergency Operations Branch (NTEOB) routinely evaluates the law enforcement equipment issued to or carried by OI personnel.

Recently, one such piece of equipment, the Blackhawk SERPA Auto Lock System holster, has come under scrutiny due to safety concerns involving the design of its retention safety device. There have been several recent documented cases, involving law enforcement and civilian personnel, where unintentional discharges have occurred while weapons were being drawn from this holster. Many of these unintentional discharges have resulted in gunshot injuries to the officers/agents involved.

The SERPA is one of the only holster system designed to use the trigger finger to release the retention safety device. This method of releasing the safety device is contrary to our training methods and techniques, which emphasize attacking the holster from the "top down." In addition, this retention system is completely different from the standard thumb-break holsters currently issued by OI. While it is true that one of the Cardinal Rules of firearms safety was violated by the individual placing his or her finger on the trigger before they were ready to shoot, we believe that the design of the SERPA holster facilitates this action by engaging the trigger finger well before the individual is prepared to shoot.

So an alternative OWB would have to offer all the features that the BlackHawk CQC does with 'better' safety and functionality, with or without retention.

There are many, many holsters that are better than that holster. If you want a paddle (which I don't recommend), then get a Comptac settable can't. If you want the best concealment from a kydex holster, get a Raven Concealment -- it holds the gun in much closer than a Blackhawk. If you want a very fast, vertical drop competition and/or range holster, then get a Ready Tactical.

You just haven't had a problem yet. There is a reason that FLETC banned the Serpa and not other holsters...
There are many, many holsters that are better than that holster. If you want a paddle (which I don't recommend), then get a Comptac settable can't. If you want the best concealment from a kydex holster, get a Raven Concealment -- it holds the gun in much closer than a Blackhawk. If you want a very fast, vertical drop competition and/or range holster, then get a Ready Tactical.
Listen to him. [bow]

Geez, I didn't mean to trigger a s***storm.

You didn't, you just rehashed a conversation that comes up like every other month.

I have the Serpa holster for a couple of reasons.

Good, if you like it rock on.

But, understand there is a reason people don't agree with you. More then a few of us who have used a Serpa to the point of failure, or have been scared by the stories and videos of people shooting themselves. Both are valid reasons for not using them. Here is a small bit of logic, if you are spending 500-1000 bucks on a gun you plan to use to protect your life with, spend an extra 20-50 bucks on a good holster to safely carry it in.

Unless you just trollin'. [wink] You know who you are...

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my 4" XD. I like it a lot, but I haven't tried many others. I have a Bianchi 100 for my S&W 910 and it's OK, but being a leather holster, it does collapse a bit after drawing, making reholstering a bit more difficult than the Crossbreed.

I carry a P239 in a Comptac M-TAC and I love it. It's very comfortable. And, you can get new "bodies for it" so you can keep the same backing and use the back for multiple guns.

You didn't, you just rehashed a conversation that comes up like every other month.

Good, if you like it rock on.

But, understand there is a reason people don't agree with you. More then a few of us who have used a Serpa to the point of failure, or have been scared by the stories and videos of people shooting themselves. Both are valid reasons for not using them. Here is a small bit of logic, if you are spending 500-1000 bucks on a gun you plan to use to protect your life with, spend an extra 20-50 bucks on a good holster to safely carry it in.

Unless you just trollin'. [wink] You know who you are...

No, not trolling. Learning a lot. And I'm not cheap. When I say I don't want to spend a lot, I mean I don't want to buy any more crappy holsters that I won't use because they are crappy. I want good holsters I can use and am willing to pay for them. I avoid a lot of these threads because 100 different opinions on what makes a good holster is marginally helpful, especially when each 'buy this one!' is followed by two 'that one sucks!'. This isn't helped by the fact that most shops have very limited inventory, and the big shops that do have a lot frown on you taking out your carry gun and trying out a few.

Since it's topical, I am also interested in a good carry holster for a full size 1911(don't judge me, bro!). I'll probably get a SuperTuck, but for an OWB holster I am sensitive to drawing a cocked and locked 1911. I know it's not too different than other handguns, but it feels different and has a light trigger. I'm crushing on the Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced right now and want to take it everywhere with me.

And if you have recommendations for a ccw holster for the 686, that is also helpful. 6" barrel. ;p

Last edited:
I use the Serpa with my P220, i've never had a problem and i've used it hundreds of times. I also have a few Galco holsters that I have used in the past, they are quality leather holsters....

No, not trolling.

Didn't mean you, don't worry. [wink]

Learning a lot. And I'm not cheap. When I say I don't want to spend a lot, I mean I don't want to buy any more crappy holsters that I won't use because they are crappy. I want good holsters I can use and am willing to pay for them. I avoid a lot of these threads because 100 different opinions on what makes a good holster is marginally helpful, especially when each 'buy this one!' is followed by two 'that one sucks!'. This isn't helped by the fact that most shops have very limited inventory, and the big shops that do have a lot frown on you taking out your carry gun and trying out a few.

Since it's topical, I am also interested in a good carry holster for a full size 1911(don't judge me, bro!). I'll probably get a SuperTuck, but for an OWB holster I am sensitive to drawing a cocked and locked 1911. I know it's not too different than other handguns, but it feels different and has a light trigger. I'm crushing on the Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced right now and want to take it everywhere with me.

And if you have recommendations for a ccw holster for the 686, that is also helpful. 6" barrel. ;p

Best thing you can do head to the range with someone who has different types of holsters and try them. My buddy does it with mine all the time. I think you will find that most of these threads recommend a Crossbreed or CompTac for IWB, I have both and use both. I personally like the CTAC better. OWB, and carry with a light mounted on the pistol, I use kydex pancake holsters like Raven Concealment and LFI Customs.

A 6" wheel gun, can't help you there I don't own one. Maybe a cross draw tanker style shoulder rig?

I have one of these for just about every gun I own. Not a ton of money and holds the firearm very close.
http://www.usgalco.com/ViewMorePic.asp?ProductSKU=CON212B.

I also have a 686 and prefer to carry it in a shoulder rig.
http://www.usgalco.com/ViewMorePic.asp?ProductSKU=MCII212

I also have a Super Tuck for every gun I might carry, but I hate IWB carry. I would rather pocket carry my PM9

Yes, I know that Galco holsters are not the finest holsters on the planet but I really like them and they work for me

You just haven't had a problem yet. There is a reason that FLETC banned the Serpa and not other holsters:

Again, I think its a knee jerk reaction to an already sensationalized (via the internet) subject.

I am sure there have been numerous and numerous ND with a wide range of holster including the all loving MIlt Sparks. Its all in the operator and their training.

Last edited:
Again, I think its a knee jerk reaction to an already sensationalized (via the internet) subject.

I am sure there have been numerous and numerous ND with a wide range of holster including the all loving MIlt Sparks. Its all in the operator and their training.

I think this is true

It's not a knee jerk reaction when a huge school (say like Front Sight) has a handful of NDs every year, and HALF of them are linked to Serpas (in some capacity or another) and I would bet nearly anything that those holsters were less than 50% of the holsters that showed up at those schools prior to the ban.

I remember watching Tex Grebner shoot himself in the leg. Before he even showed the holster I said to myself "I bet that ****in thing is a serpa. " I practically fell out of my chair laughing when he revealed the holster afterwards, which had confirmed my suspicions.

Can they be used safely? Sure. That said, the design does not lend itself to instinctively safe gun handling. There might also be some weird ergonomic issues at play here, too. I had a Serpa (I gave it to atilla) and I had no trouble doing panic draws with it without putting my finger in the trigger guard. Maybe for others that is not the case and the way their hand interacts with the holster is different. That said, there is no getting around the fact that the indexing on my trigger finger is better if I draw from a non serpa holster. Normal holsters also require no downward pressure on the trigger finger during the draw stroke other than to fire the pistol.

I just don't see the attraction to the things, anyways. The only "good" that comes out of the SERPA is that they are cheap and every gun store sells them. After getting exposed to real holsters from Blade Tech, (for relatively short money) I'm pretty much ashamed that I even bought the rest of the stuff I did. I mean the cheap holsters work... but it's kind of like getting a Porsche and getting wal mart special tires put on it. It doesn't make sense in the long run. At some point or another I am either going to sell them all in a lot or Karma the things. (although I don't think I have any serpas left)

-Mike

I like Galco holsters

Some of the stuff they make is OK, but Galco also makes a lot of garbage, like this POS... the JAK 202.... [rofl]

gayholster.jpg

http://www.usacarry.com/mans-leather-holster-causes-accidental-discharge/

Inspect your equipment, kids... and ask yourself if murphy would like it, or not. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
keep it coming i'm learning a lot from these posts!!!!

Johnny Viper, I have been very happy with a "UBG Canute" www.ubgholsters.com holster for my J frame 38's and 357's. I advise you to check them out. Custom quality, good turn around time, effective, quality holsters for a fair price. I also like them with my Kahr PM9, makes all these small guns disappear

I still have to ask Derek about getting you a CUT of "NES SERPA Collector" [rofl]

-Mike

i'll do things for you (no homo) if you can make that happen.

everyone give me your unwanted holsters so i can have them mate and make more serpa holsters and collect serpa welfare and serpa government cheese.

they also vote democrat.

I'm resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one. The Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster I got didn't fit the Remington R1911 Enhanced. I know it's a standard full-sized 1911, but it was hard to slide in, and I definitely wouldn't be able to draw properly under any foreseeable conditions. With my other BH CQC holster, the gun drops right in and drawing is smooth. I realize this could have been an issue with the specific holster, but whatever, due to this thread, I want to try something else.

Therefore, I am looking for suggestions on holsters that will specifically fit the Remington R1911 Enhanced. It doesn't need to be a retention holster, although I like them, but it should be secure, and preferably usable for carry(under pullover/jacket) and possibly light use for USPSA/IDPA practice and the like. Is it typical that a holster for 'All 1911 Government' versions won't fit some specific models, or did I just get a bad one?

Incidentally, without arguing the merits of CCW a full-size .45, the Cross Breed Supertuck fits the R1911 like a glove, and the carriage is very good in the 5/7 o'clock position, at least walking around the house. It isn't as easy to draw as a G19 in the same model holster, but the concealment is good.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Therefore, I am looking for suggestions on holsters that will specifically fit the Remington R1911 Enhanced. It doesn't need to be a retention holster, although I like them, but it should be secure, and preferably usable for carry(under pullover/jacket) and possibly light use for USPSA/IDPA practice and the like. Is it typical that a holster for 'All 1911 Government' versions won't fit some specific models, or did I just get a bad one?

I think that you got a bad one.

Your desires are a bit contradictory, though. For USPSA/IDPA, you want a competition holster with a straight drop -- you do not want a retention holster. This type of holster will not conceal well. Some examples are:

- Comp-tac belt holster: http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=66 (you will need to check to see if this holster is IDPA legal -- that speed cut in front may be too low -- check the rule book)
- Ready Tactical: http://www.cpwsa.com/ready_tactical.htm

In general, retention holsters suck for concealment. If you insist on a retention holster, then get a Safariland, but realize that it will slow you down for USPSA/IDPA. Also, some of the duty holsters shown here will not be legal for IDPA:

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6377
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/duty/als.aspx

For an OWB concealment holster, get a Raven: http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/phantom-modular-holsters/phantom-modular-holster

You can't tell it from looking at it, but the Raven conceals very well. It holds the gun in tighter to your side than any OWB holster I've ever had. The downside is that it is slow for competition.

Back
Top Bottom