Holsters

OK, thanks. I am going to be visiting a few places today, so I'll see what they have, and if they have a 1911, I will see how the fit it.

I do realize that some of what I said is contradictory; I basically just want a good holster for my hip that will hold the gun. It doesn't have to be retention, I just like the idea of retention. It doesn't have to be super-concealable either, since the only time I would carry with it would be when I know I am wearing enough clothes to cover it, or using it on the range. It just has to be a good holster; after that it's a matter of personal preference. I suppose it is further complicated when you start getting into cant, and then your points become very salient.

Rider, don't bother going to gun stores looking for holsters. They typically have a very small selection of holsters and almost all of what they have is crap.

You simply do not need a retention holster. Any good holster will positively hold the gun. I've done a shoulder roll on a hard floor with a 1911 in an open top kydex holster.

It sounds as though you really want a range holster. Order a straight drop belt holster from Comp-tac or Ready Tactical.

If later you want a concealed carry holster, then get a Raven or one of several IWB holsters.

Last edited:
Rider, don't bother going to gun stores looking for holsters. They typically have a very small selection of holsters and almost all of what they have is crap.

You simply do not need a retention holster. Any good holster will positively hold the gun. I've done a shoulder roll on a hard floor with a 1911 in an open top kydex holster.

It sounds as though you really want a range holster. Order a straight drop belt holster from Comp-tac or Ready Tactical.

If later you want a concealed carry holster, then get a Raven or one of several IWB holsters.

Listen to this man.

Yeah, I know. I just figured that since I would be going, I might as well look around. Predictably, they all had the same crap. I got my friend set up with his first gun, so the day was a success.

Thanks again, I appreciate the advice. I have a SuperTuck for the 1911, which as I mentioned before, feels good and fits the gun well. I'll look into the Ready Tactical and Raven models.

Back
Top Bottom