• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holsters

I just purchased some leather holsters from the holster store and man are they uncomfortable. They are the first holsters I have ever bought so they could be the most comfortable ones out there and I wouldnt know. In general are holsters uncomfortable, where do you position them, on the side, towards the front or back? Do they break in over time?

Yeah, I hate IWB carry for the most part. A good belt will help, but if you are not thin and wearing a pair of pants that is a size to big, it can take some getting used to.

I carry OWB whenever possible

I had a similar experience with a leather holster for my S&W 60, stiff, bulky and hard to draw. I solved that problem with an inexpensive Galco Sto-N-Go holster. It's made of softer leather but has a wide "mouth" to make re holstering easy with one hand. It's REALLY comfortable to carry around the 2:30 position and should work nicely for the J frame at least. Cross Breed holsters are very comfy too but cost 3 times as much and you have to wait awhile. A good gun belt is also a wise investment even with lighter guns.

Leather holsters need some break in time. You might even try dunking it in water, inserting your unloaded gun (in a thin plastic bag) and wearing it around for a couple of days. That worked for me with my M-TAC Minotaur.

Never thought I'd even like an IWB, much less love it, but I do and didn't even have to buy new trousers/jeans!

Oh yeah, and the position is essential. Contact the holster manufacturer for their recommendations. The Minotaur works great at 4 o'clock with my full-sized 1911.

Last edited:
In NH, open carry. Way more comfortable. Plus it scares liberals, which is always good for a laugh and well worth the trouble.

In MA, wear a crossbreed iwb, and make sure you have a good gun specific belt.

Last but not least, don't skimp out on holsters. When it comes to holsters, you truly get what you pay for. I will vouch for crossbreed. I can comfortably carry a p229, which is by no means a lightweight, in a supertuck model. Now this isn't my daily ccw, but just the fact that I can carry it comfortably all day is a miracle as is. It isn't a small gun. If your ccw is a smaller framed gun, even medium, or subcompact, you won't even know it's there, quite literally.

Last edited:
In MA, wear a crossbreed iwb, and make sure you have a good gun specific belt.

+1

I've tried a bunch of them since I started carrying--shoulder rig, crossbreed, OWB paddle, smartcarry, remora, ankle, etc etc. I always wear the crossbreed unless my clothes or my destination makes me use one of the others. It really distributes the weight well but you still need a good belt. I carry a G26 by the way. Haven't ever tried a revolver IWB; don't think I want to.

A good belt does make a difference on comfort. Try looking at this thread. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/144747-Feeler-Rifle-Slings-Belts

He makes great leather products. I've had several of his belts plus a sling. I lost a crap load of weight several years back. I sent him my belts and he adjusted the length for the cost of shipping. His Customer Service is second to NONE! And he will back anything he sends out.

His belt and a good Crossbreed holster will make a HUGE difference.

I like BeltMan belts a lot. for OWB, I like the Blackhawk Serpa CQC holsters. They aren't the easiest to conceal, but with a pullover or baggy clothes they are good, comfortable, and make for an easy draw. For IWB, the Crossbreed SuperTuck in the 5-7 o'clock position(depending on handedness) is very comfortable even when seated or driving, and is a lot easier to ccw. It just takes a while to get used to it in public because you tend to be hyper aware of people behind you or generally near you on your carry side.

thanks guys for the info, i never thought about getting a holster belt and i will give the holster some time to break in and also try a few brands that are mentioned

I've never used a crossbreed but I use a similar design such as the Desantis Intruder. I don't know if it is just the crossbreed style that everyone praises or that specific holster, but I find the intruder comfortable.

I like BeltMan belts a lot. for OWB, I like the Blackhawk Serpa CQC holsters. They aren't the easiest to conceal, but with a pullover or baggy clothes they are good, comfortable, and make for an easy draw.

<threadjack>

Serpas are not good holsters. They jam easily with just a little bit of dirt or sand in the mechanism. The belt loops are weak and have failed during handgun retention classes. But most importantly, they are a negligent discharge waiting to happen. The Serpa retention mechanism requires you to push inward with your trigger finger. If you maintain that inward pressure during the draw, then your finger can easily end up inside the trigger guard pulling the trigger. As a result of this issue, quite a few ranges (including FLETC) have banned Serpa holsters.

For concealed carry, you don't need a retention holster. Any quality open-top holster will securely hold the gun. If you really think you need a holster with retention devices, then get a Safariland -- it is far more secure than the Serpa and has none of its drawbacks.

Get a Crossbreed for IWB and Bladetech for OC. Yes they cost money, but that's because you'll actually like using them.

ETA: I got rid of my Serpas and switched to the Bladetech.

just to make sure everyone hates me--i have at least four serpa holsters. yes, i use them. people from NES even donate them to me. bring the pain.

attachment.php

oh god, there's even a glock in it. [pot]

but seriouspost: safariland, desantis, and crossbreed all make excellent holsters, okay guys?

Attachments

• serpa.jpg
    serpa.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 191
Both the crossbreed supertuck and the comp-tac m-tac series holster are fantastic for IWB carry.
I also suggest a heavy duty belt, I had one done by Andy Langlois (if that is spelled correctly) here on the board and its fantastic.

<threadjack>

Serpas are not good holsters. They jam easily with just a little bit of dirt or sand in the mechanism. The belt loops are weak and have failed during handgun retention classes. But most importantly, they are a negligent discharge waiting to happen. The Serpa retention mechanism requires you to push inward with your trigger finger. If you maintain that inward pressure during the draw, then your finger can easily end up inside the trigger guard pulling the trigger. As a result of this issue, quite a few ranges (including FLETC) have banned Serpa holsters.

For concealed carry, you don't need a retention holster. Any quality open-top holster will securely hold the gun. If you really think you need a holster with retention devices, then get a Safariland -- it is far more secure than the Serpa and has none of its drawbacks.

I have a Serpa holster for duty and the smaller version for off duty. I have never had a problem with them nor have I known anyone to have a problem with them. The only problems I have read about them have been online. Any holster can be dangerous without the proper practice and training. I have noticed when drawing the weapon that your trigger finger ends up naturally along the frame where it is supposed to be.

FLETC banned them due to a knee jerk reaction to operator error. Didn't I read somewhere these are the Marine holsters?

Why does one need active retention on a CCW holster?

Oh and atilla, make sure I am on the other side of you when you are carrying that walking time bomb waiting to explode. [laugh]

I have a Serpa holster for duty and the smaller version for off duty. I have never had a problem with them nor have I known anyone to have a problem with them. The only problems I have read about them have been online. Any holster can be dangerous without the proper practice and training. I have noticed when drawing the weapon that your trigger finger ends up naturally along the frame where it is supposed to be.

FLETC banned them due to a knee jerk reaction to operator error. Didn't I read somewhere these are the Marine holsters?

Serpas are horrible design, plastic fantastic ready for failure. Don't let the few people that think they are quality curb your decision, as a new shooter stay far far away from them.

And that is by no means an insult to those that use them, if you feel comfortable doing so be my guest I will just never let someone recommend them without hearing the other side.

FLETC banned them due to a knee jerk reaction to operator error.

It isn't operator error, it is faulty ergonomics.

Suppose I designed a new jetliner that had two identical switches next to each other. One switch lowered the landing gear. The other switch shut off fuel flow to the engines. Such a jetliner would end up with a number of accidents where pilots mistakenly shut off fuel flow to the engines on final approach. That wouldn't be pilot error, that would be due to faulty ergonomics. You can design cockpit controls that enable accidents or ones that reduce accidents. The same is true for retention holsters.

FLETC and other ranges have banned Serpa holsters because they have seen more accidents with Serpas than with other holsters. That is due to the faulty design of the Serpa. The Safariland SLS design does not require you to push inwards with your trigger finger to release the holster -- as a result, it is a safer holster than the Serpa.

Didn't I read somewhere these are the Marine holsters?

Last I heard, doctrine in most of the US military was to carry handguns with the chamber empty.

They don't. Some years back, I was doing a Tueller drill in a class in the meeting room at Harvard Sportsmen's. I tripped and did a full shoulder roll on the floor. I was carrying my 1911 in an open top kydex holster. The gun stayed put in the holster.

I can understand the desire for a retention holster if you are carrying openly. I don't understand it for carrying concealed.

Last edited:
It isn't operator error, it is faulty ergonomics.

Suppose I designed a new jetliner that had two identical switches next to each other. One switch lowered the landing gear. The other switch shut off fuel flow to the engines. Such a jetliner would end up with a number of accidents where pilots mistakenly shut off fuel flow to the engines on final approach. That wouldn't be pilot error, that would be due to faulty ergonomics. You can design cockpit controls that enable accidents or ones that reduce accidents. The same is true for retention holsters.

FLETC and other ranges have banned Serpa holsters because they have seen more accidents with Serpas than with other holsters. That is due to the faulty design of the Serpa. The Safariland SLS design does not require you to push inwards with your trigger finger to release the holster -- as a result, it is a safer holster than the Serpa.

Last I heard, doctrine in most of the US military was to carry handguns with the chamber empty.

They don't. Some years back, I was doing a Tueller drill in a class in the meeting room at Harvard Sportsmen's. I tripped and did a full shoulder roll on the floor. I was carrying my 1911 in an open top kydex holster. The gun stayed put in the holster.

I can understand the desire for a retention holster if you are carrying openly. I don't understand it for carrying concealed.

When I was in the Navy (98-02) we carried M9's with one in the chamber. Can't vouch for other branches, but I never heard of this. Especially now-a-days.

I believe its all about training. Just like anything else.

Oh and atilla, make sure I am on the other side of you when you are carrying that walking time bomb waiting to explode. [laugh]

it's cool, that's my bear gun (9mm).

Serpas are horrible design, plastic fantastic ready for failure. Don't let the few people that think they are quality curb your decision, as a new shooter stay far far away from them.

And that is by no means an insult to those that use them, if you feel comfortable doing so be my guest I will just never let someone recommend them without hearing the other side.

give me my 870 back, you just hurt literally the one feeling i had left. [sad2]

FLETC and other ranges have banned Serpa holsters because they have seen more accidents with Serpas than with other holsters. That is due to the faulty design of the Serpa. The Safariland SLS design does not require you to push inwards with your trigger finger to release the holster -- as a result, it is a safer holster than the Serpa. (...)

(...) I can understand the desire for a retention holster if you are carrying openly. I don't understand it for carrying concealed.

i practiced some FLETC drills and used my serpa, would have shot at least to their standard--actually better. not advocating serpas, just sayin'. i found it's not so much having to push on a different holster, is that with the serpa you press to remove the firearm and then some people go straight for the trigger instead of indexing their finger. in that respect i definitely see how other than just tooling around openly it could be a PITA.

i tried trolling but ended up pretty much agreeing. dammit. i need a beer.

When I was in the Navy (98-02) we carried M9's with one in the chamber.

This was the case up to 3 years ago. I doubt it has changed though. Rifles are a different story, those were carried empty chamber anytime I had to carry one, but I was not kicking in doors or anything.

I liked the Safariland holsters for active retention myself.

it's cool, that's my bear gun (9mm).

Oh, it's a 9? Then we cool. [laugh]

When I was in the Navy (98-02) we carried M9's with one in the chamber. Can't vouch for other branches, but I never heard of this. Especially now-a-days.

This was the case up to 3 years ago. I doubt it has changed though. Rifles are a different story, those were carried empty chamber anytime I had to carry one, but I was not kicking in doors or anything.

Thanks for the correction.

give me my 870 back, you just hurt literally the one feeling i had left. [sad2]

i tried trolling but ended up pretty much agreeing. dammit. i need a beer.

Can't help you with the 870 its already been dropped overboard but the beer on the other hand I can buy you one of those.
Hope to be able to meet up / shoot with you again in the near future.

you're welcome at my club any time provided they aren't planning on throwing me out after schützenfest with adam, nicole, ed, and friends last sunday. [laugh]

They did not have time for that, they were too busy taking cover from your full auto fire. ;)

[laugh] oh god.

i actually know the guy that was the one who proposed the full auto ban because some jerk kept cutting the target stands in half and when i told him that story even he laughed at it.

just to try to not drive this MFer completely off track this post now contains the word "holster".

holster.

Back
Top Bottom