• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holster Suggestions - S&W chief's special model 36

I have a nice model 36 that I want to carry. I was thinking IWB cross draw, at around the 10 - 11 O'Clock position. I don't want to carry on either hip because my skinny frame will make it uncomfortable and almost guaranteed to print severely. [laugh] Plus it would be comfortable sitting down.

I was thinking about this one from Del Fatti: http://www.delfatti.com/photos/photos/155.JPG

I would rather have a belt look than a clip but it looks simple and would definitely be well constructed. I want to carry with the cylinder inside the waistband. Does anyone have any other holster suggestions for this type of carry?

Good luck. I have read that DelFatti has a 6+ month wait list.

I used to carry a Nickle 36. Being thin myself any holster bulged out quite a bit. I used a Tyler and Barami Hip Grips. Worked out excellent.

Fast forward to today, I have a little belly now and prefer a tucked in shirt. The weight of a steel J got to me after a while. I now have a 642 with a new RGrizzle leather holster that works very well for me. I just sold a Galco 2nd amendment holster that had the cylinder below the belt line which was the most concealed holster I have ever used. I just couldn't get used to not having enough grip on the gun because it rode so low.

I'll have pics of myself with the new holster on in a few days. Check out my other post for pics of the holster http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69048

Last edited:
I have a nice model 36 that I want to carry. I was thinking IWB cross draw, at around the 10 - 11 O'Clock position. I don't want to carry on either hip because my skinny frame will make it uncomfortable and almost guaranteed to print severely. [laugh] Plus it would be comfortable sitting down.

I was thinking about this one from Del Fatti: http://www.delfatti.com/photos/photos/155.JPG

I would rather have a belt look than a clip but it looks simple and would definitely be well constructed. I want to carry with the cylinder inside the waistband. Does anyone have any other holster suggestions for this type of carry?

I carried a model 60 for many years in an IWB holster. I found the appendix position more handy and comfortable. My favorite holster was a Jay P hard leather model with a spring belt clip that I found in a bargain bin for $5. I much prefer a hard leather holster to the cheap soft suede models available. The soft holsters allow the sharp contours of the pistol to print through and are uncomfortable. Holstering the pistol with one hand is also impossible. A hard leather holster presents a smooth contour that is much more comfortable and will allow you to reholster your gun with one hand.

After looking around some more I found this:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/swa18382/CCW/SNUBBY/IWB/snubbybelloaks.jpg

I might give this one a try. Thanks for the advice guys.

Thats a very cool looking holster! However Id imagine that along with most other iwb holsters, the a j-frame with a hammer would make it fairly uncomfortable. I have the hammerless 642 J-Frame and often carry it in an ankle holster which would be well suited for a model 60. Its also my perfered method of carry when doing alot of driving gue to its easy access in the car.
As always YMMV.

-Jon

I'm sure concealment is great as it rides very low below the belt. My only concern with those types of holsters is the speed of the draw. It seems that you might need two hands to draw the firearm out. One to pull or push back the belt/belly and the strong hand to grip.

If you don't have a belly, I suppose it's easy to slide you thumb along your abdomen and do a thumb + index grip to pull out while wrapping the fingers on the upward draw.

You'll know what I'm talking about if you try it.

Back
Top Bottom