• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holster suggestions for pistol classes

I have used bladetech for years. Good holsters, no issue with 1000s of draws. I don't use the drop though
I'll spend some time trying to see what I like. I'm not the biggest fan of drop legs... I had one in the army with an m9 to get around my plates but its a weird way to have a gun. I didnt want to limit my options though and figured I'd give as much a try as reasonable since it's all relativly new again.

I'll spend some time trying to see what I like. I'm not the biggest fan of drop legs... I had one in the army with an m9 to get around my plates but its a weird way to have a gun. I didnt want to limit my options though and figured I'd give as much a try as reasonable since it's all relativly new again.
Today's idea of a drop holster is very different from the early GWOT days. I was resistant to it aswell, but now I have GCode's drop with leg strap on my gun belt. It is my favorite design so far for a padded belt set up.

Also… take all your holster apart and loctite everything. You don’t want to be the guy putting on a yard sale in class….

It’s me. I’m the yard sale guy.
I can do that. I got some loctite I use for things like holding down an rmr or mount. Its breakable with tool effort.

I cant remember what color it was... purple?

I can do that. I got some loctite I use for things like holding down an rmr or mount. Its breakable with tool effort.

I cant remember what color it was... purple?
Blue. I have also had my pistol come out of a holster and hit the deck because the retention screw backed out.

depending on the screw diameter, weakest is 222(MS)(purple), then 242(Blue) or 243 (oil resistant) or 271 (red).

Red requires heat (tip of a soldering iron) and blue *usually* doesn't require heat.

Dench, I know your taking training classes but any clubs down there with action pits that allow you to work from the holster?

Random NES Ninja - “ just look it up on the Internet”

I definitely want a belt mounted holster, I don't intend to ever buy a OWB paddle holster.

I was never good enough to compete so I don't have much exposure to seeing the high end stuff in that realm outside of a handful of instances over the years. It's all very foreign to me and it's a little frustrating to buy without trying it as they aren't cheap and theres for sure ups and downs between brands. Hard to get a good one (or think I have a good one) as a casual, etc.
Not all paddle holsters suck. I have a Vedder ProDraw Paddle for my Sig P365. I wear it when I'm going to the range, because it's very secure under the inner belt I wear, and is easy to remove when I put on my competition belt to practice.

And, regarding your second point, I don't ever remember showing up for a match or competition and having them tell me I wasn't good enough to compete. In all the matches I've ever participated, they take your money and they let you play. If you waited until you were good enough, you'd be missing out on a whole lot of fun. As long as you know the rules, and are safe, that's all that really matters. You may not win, but they pretty much always let you play.

And, regarding your second point, I don't ever remember showing up for a match or competition and having them tell me I wasn't good enough to compete. In all the matches I've ever participated, they take your money and they let you play. If you waited until you were good enough, you'd be missing out on a whole lot of fun. As long as you know the rules, and are safe, that's all that really matters. You may not win, but they pretty much always let you play.
Agreed. As long as you are safe and a good sport, no one cares how slow you are.

Last edited:
Holsters for taking classes are similar to those used in competitions. I've been running a Blade-Tech holster for over 15 years and it will easily go another 15 years. Comp-Tac also makes a good holster, I've got a few of those too. I think you are better off with kydex over any other material for a good solid holster that is easy to reholster. Don't forget about the belt, that's almost as important. A good 2 part belt system will let you stabilize your holster and mag holders and make it easy to put on and off.

Competition Shooters has a great belt that is a little cheaper than the others, I've been using the same one for about 6 years. Double Alpha and some others are also good.
Second both. That's what I use for the classes.

Not all paddle holsters suck. I have a Vedder ProDraw Paddle for my Sig P365. I wear it when I'm going to the range, because it's very secure under the inner belt I wear, and is easy to remove when I put on my competition belt to practice.

I've been using a Comp-Tac Their Paddle Holster - Speed Cant is rock solid. Nothing will free it from a decent belt.

At the time when I got into it I didn't have enough money to practice. So, it was not a good time. When I had enough money for practice I was low on time. I believe I have competed twice and I finished towards the bottom or at the bottom. It was an ok experience but I never felt like I had to go back.

Now we will see how things work out this time around. I suspect I will still have a time issue but I'm open to whatever goes on. It's been a while, I believe ~12 years since I last competed in any capacity with firearms. I never closed the door and am usually open to trying things again. Im certainly not seeking it out and I know I wont. However if my friends down here invite me out I will go (which is why I'm actually doing this class, I had never even heard of the school or range)

I do compete in BJJ which I do good in. I do the BJJ ones to have a strong reason to keep my conditioning high which just leads to a better quality of life physically and mentally. My kids also want to compete a ton, so I made it a point to do at least some of them instead of coaching all day. I find that it's getting a little long in the tooth as I am fighting mostly people in their late teens and 20's and I'm not young anymore. "Fun" isnt a word I'd use.... maybe a necessary evil? Not sure. I actually find it aggravating most of the time dealing with the ruleset and scoring [rofl]

I never had a competitive personality. Dealing with myself is all the adversarial shit I need and can handle most of the time [rofl]

A fun day for me would be soloing the whites. Not at the range or matts competing. everyone's different.

Dench, I know your taking training classes but any clubs down there with action pits that allow you to work from the holster?

Random NES Ninja - “ just look it up on the Internet”

You know that's a good question. I know of most of the ranges about 50 miles from where I live. I say most because theres probably 1 or 2 that are well hidden that I havent figured out yet. That said this part of FL has all the worst case scenarios for shooting clubs. All the good "private" clubs are $100-$250 PER MONTH to shoot at, which is F'ing insane. While most of them are nice, hell, one of them I believe goes out 1.5 miles, I still can't afford that monthly rate when I factor in how much I'd actually go, the drive (70 minutes each way) and the ammo cost... shooting isnt that high up on my to-do's so it's not getting all my free time and money.

We have a free state owned FUDDY range about an hour from me that is great for things like zeroing, however since it's all paper it's a yawn fest plus you have to deal with a free public range setting which is a nightmare on a good day.

Shooting in SWFL is geared towards wealthy retirees. The locals don't seem to shoot much as they can't afford it and don't have a place to go.

I miss Harvard very much and took it for granted.

A bunch of us down here are trying to find some land we can use. I own plenty of nice plates... just no where to bring them usually. I've only been able to bring them out once this year to a friends place but it was very limited in terms of space and openness...we were shooting in a thick quasi swamp setting that had a few narrow lanes cleared. We can't use this location either from spring to fall as it's flooded, which is another problem downhere in open spaces.

My draw isnt a complete nightmare which is also good. I think Sig hammered out the rest of my crap draw skills a few years ago. I used to go with my wife to classes there.. we enjoyed it very much until COVID did the COVID thing.

we'll figure something out.

Last edited:
At the time when I got into it I didn't have enough money to practice. So, it was not a good time. When I had enough money for practice I was low on time. I believe I have competed twice and I finished towards the bottom or at the bottom. It was an ok experience but I never felt like I had to go back.

Now we will see how things work out this time around. I suspect I will still have a time issue but I'm open to whatever goes on. It's been a while, I believe ~12 years since I last competed in any capacity with firearms. I never closed the door and am usually open to trying things again. Im certainly not seeking it out and I know I wont. However if my friends down here invite me out I will go (which is why I'm actually doing this class, I had never even heard of the school or range)

I do compete in BJJ which I do good in. I do the BJJ ones to have a strong reason to keep my conditioning high which just leads to a better quality of life physically and mentally. My kids also want to compete a ton, so I made it a point to do at least some of them instead of coaching all day. I find that it's getting a little long in the tooth as I am fighting mostly people in their late teens and 20's and I'm not young anymore. "Fun" isnt a word I'd use.... maybe a necessary evil? Not sure. I actually find it aggravating most of the time dealing with the ruleset and scoring [rofl]

I never had a competitive personality. Dealing with myself is all the adversarial shit I need and can handle most of the time [rofl]

A fun day for me would be soloing the whites. Not at the range or matts competing. everyone's different.

You know that's a good question. I know of most of the ranges about 50 miles from where I live. I say most because theres probably 1 or 2 that are well hidden that I havent figured out yet. That said this part of FL has all the worst case scenarios for shooting clubs. All the good "private" clubs are $100-$250 PER MONTH to shoot at, which is F'ing insane. While most of them are nice, hell, one of them I believe goes out 1.5 miles, I still can't afford that monthly rate when I factor in how much I'd actually go, the drive (70 minutes each way) and the ammo cost... shooting isnt that high up on my to-do's so it's not getting all my free time and money.

We have a free state owned FUDDY range about an hour from me that is great for things like zeroing, however since it's all paper it's a yawn fest plus you have to deal with a free public range setting which is a nightmare on a good day.

Shooting in SWFL is geared towards wealthy retirees. The locals don't seem to shoot much as they can't afford it and don't have a place to go.

A bunch of us down here are trying to find some land we can use. I own plenty of nice plates... just no where to bring them usually. I've only been able to bring them out once this year to a friends place but it was very limited in terms of space and openness...we were shooting in a thick quasi swamp setting that had a few narrow lanes cleared. We can't use this location either from spring to fall as it's flooded, which is another problem downhere in open spaces.

My draw isnt a complete nightmare which is also good. I think Sig hammered out the rest of my crap draw skills a few years ago. I used to go with my wife to classes there.. we enjoyed it very much until COVID did the COVID thing.

Nice to hear you're competing with the younger guys. Masters can be a snooze fest, that's if anyone actually shows up.

I took a couple classes at Sig Academy this summer. I wore the 5.11 Tactical Men's VTAC Combat Belt with with a CompTac International holster, and 4 magazine holders. Most instructors wore a Battle Style belt of some kind. And probably 50% of students in the classes I took did also.

Combat Belt

Last edited:

Thanks for the info. I kind of figured it would be tight space wise for private shooting and club shooting. 250 a month is nuts! Hey, at least u got palm trees😂👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom