Holster suggestions for pistol classes

I am getting back into classes finally and my holsters are in big need of change. Time to buy some nicer stuff for classes. These would be for the equiviliant of Sigs Pistol 103 and 104 classes, material like that. So, open carry belt mounted type holsters.

I am going to be running a Glock 34 and I might use a Glock 17L if the holster allows it, who knows. The 34 is the pistol I usually use although I have used the 17L in the past and it's pretty entertaining.

Any suggestions? I havent been in the holster market forever and I know little about modern open carry holsters.

They make a nice paddle holster with little fangs that keep it from pulling out unexpectedly. I carry my SIG P365 in it OWB during cooler weather when I have a shirt for concealment. The design is secure and great for SIG’s classes.

Friend of mine who lives in Ayer, makes these magnetic mag pouches for various magazines. They work VERY well. Plenty of “retention”/magnetic force to hold the mags when you’re running around, kneeling, prone etc. But also not crazy strong where you’re struggling to rip the mags out.

Shameless plug 😂

I have/would use my EDC holster if it is allowable for the class.
My EDC is a Glock 43... I'd really rather not use that for a 8 hour class unless it was a CCW geared course. The classes I am taking in the short term aren't CCW(ish) classes, I think they are more of the full sized pistol type gigs. I'm more familiar with how Sig did it as that's where I used to do classes... I believe Sig had a seperate class for CCW/"micro" sized pistols etc.

Safari land comes to mind
Which ones though? They offer a lot of different selections. The "Level I" holsters? I can't imagine having a ton of retention features (the II, III and III+) would be needed or wanted in a class...

~~~~

Glock 34 OWB Competition KYDEX Holster (seems expensive, looks like it will hang low? I don't plan on having body armor over my kidneys that this needs to avoid)

Blade-Tech Signature Pistol Holster (seems to have a fantastic price, is there a reason for that?)

Raven doesnt appear to make a holster long enough for a G34, the longest slide looks to be a G17.

Classic OWB Holster Bladetech seems good, price is resonable.

Werkz M7 OWB Holster for Glock G17 / G19 / G34 / G45 (+More), Right, Black this one looks nice although its getting higher in price. It has a cutout for my RMR which would be nice when I finally learn how to shoot good with it.

What says the hivemind?

Last edited:
Holsters for taking classes are similar to those used in competitions. I've been running a Blade-Tech holster for over 15 years and it will easily go another 15 years. Comp-Tac also makes a good holster, I've got a few of those too. I think you are better off with kydex over any other material for a good solid holster that is easy to reholster. Don't forget about the belt, that's almost as important. A good 2 part belt system will let you stabilize your holster and mag holders and make it easy to put on and off.

Competition Shooters has a great belt that is a little cheaper than the others, I've been using the same one for about 6 years. Double Alpha and some others are also good.

I am a huge fan of the Raven Perun holsters and their Copia mag carriers. The mag carriers specifically are my favorite carrier hands down.
It is always funny how personal holster choices are. I‘m a huge fan of the Raven Phantom holster and was disappointed when they discontinued it. I’ve tried the Perun and I think it is sucks. They cheaped out on the mold for the Perun. It is the same mold whether the holster is right hand or left hand. So it has two sweatshield, one on the inside and one on the outside, which makes it a pain in the knuckles to use. You can cut off the outside sweatshield and then try to file down the sharp edges, but it will look like crap unless you are a craftsman and Raven should have built it right from the start. Raven claims that’s a feature not a bug, but having used it, it sucks. If you talk to Raven about, the owner will dismiss you as someone “who doesn’t carry for a living”.

For a class, just get a straight drop OWB Kydex/plastic holster. Do not bother with Safariland. Safariland makes great retention holsters if you are going to be open carrying, but there is no need for those retention features in a class.

Skip paddle holsters. Get something with real belt loops that will be secure on your belt.

There are many good holster companies. Bladetech And Comptac make good holsters.

Last edited:
It is always funny how personal holster choices are. I‘m a huge fan of the Raven Phantom holster and was disappointed when they discontinued it. I’ve tried the Perun and I think it is sucks.

For a class, just get a straight drop OWB Kydex/plastic holster. Do not bother with Safariland. Safariland makes great retention holsters if you are going to be open carrying, but there is no need for those retention features in a class.

Skip paddle holsters. Get something with real belt loops that will be secure on your belt.

There are many good holster companies. Bladetech And Comptac make good holsters.

I can understand that. I think the phantom sucks. The Perun takes the phantom shape and ride height which I did like, but got rid of that dumb ass ‘pop’ holstering gun. The Perun has the Eidolon feel which I also am homoerotic for

It is always funny how personal holster choices are. I‘m a huge fan of the Raven Phantom holster and was disappointed when they discontinued it. I’ve tried the Perun and I think it is sucks. They cheaped out on the mold for the Perun. It is the same mold whether the holster is right hand or left hand. So it has two sweatshield, one on the inside and one on the outside, which makes it a pain in the knuckles to use. You can cut off the outside sweatshield and then try to file down the sharp edges, but it will look like crap unless you are a craftsman and Raven should have built it right from the start. Raven claims that’s a feature not a bug, but having used it, it sucks. If you talk to Raven about, the owner will dismiss you as someone “who doesn’t carry for a living”.

I definitely want a belt mounted holster, I don't intend to ever buy a OWB paddle holster.

I was never good enough to compete so I don't have much exposure to seeing the high end stuff in that realm outside of a handful of instances over the years. It's all very foreign to me and it's a little frustrating to buy without trying it as they aren't cheap and theres for sure ups and downs between brands. Hard to get a good one (or think I have a good one) as a casual, etc.

I am getting back into classes finally and my holsters are in big need of change. Time to buy some nicer stuff for classes. These would be for the equiviliant of Sigs Pistol 103 and 104 classes, material like that. So, open carry belt mounted type holsters.

I am going to be running a Glock 34 and I might use a Glock 17L if the holster allows it, who knows. The 34 is the pistol I usually use although I have used the 17L in the past and it's pretty entertaining.

Any suggestions? I havent been in the holster market forever and I know little about modern open carry holsters.
Lots of ppl shit on TRex Arms but I have a few of his holsters and they are awesome. I’ve used thier Ragnarok duty holster for several training classes and countless hours in the action pits. I also use safariland but prefer the Ragnarok.

I definitely want a belt mounted holster, I don't intend to ever buy a OWB paddle holster.

I was never good enough to compete so I don't have much exposure to seeing the high end stuff in that realm outside of a handful of instances over the years. It's all very foreign to me and it's a little frustrating to buy without trying it as they aren't cheap and theres for sure ups and downs between brands. Hard to get a good one (or think I have a good one) as a casual, etc.

If you want decent price and good functionality for training classes, I’d also go with a blade tech on a drop/offset attachment. It will give you more space and a more reliable draw in a class where you are drawing hundreds of times.

If you want decent price and good functionality for training classes, I’d also go with a blade tech on a drop/offset attachment. It will give you more space and a more reliable draw in a class where you are drawing hundreds of times.
I'm leaning a lot towards the blade tech classic OWB. You recommend that one?

And this? Duty Drop and Offset Holster Attachment

I’ve had a few over years. It’s a reasonable priced reliable holster to start until you figure out what kind of training rig you want to expand into. The drop and offset attachment puts it in a really nice position for training imo
ok thanks I'll add it.

Which ones though? They offer a lot of different selections. The "Level I" holsters? I can't imagine having a ton of retention features (the II, III and III+) would be needed or wanted in a class...

~~~~

Glock 34 OWB Competition KYDEX Holster (seems expensive, looks like it will hang low? I don't plan on having body armor over my kidneys that this needs to avoid)

Blade-Tech Signature Pistol Holster (seems to have a fantastic price, is there a reason for that?)

Raven doesnt appear to make a holster long enough for a G34, the longest slide looks to be a G17.

Classic OWB Holster Bladetech seems good, price is resonable.

Werkz M7 OWB Holster for Glock G17 / G19 / G34 / G45 (+More), Right, Black this one looks nice although its getting higher in price. It has a cutout for my RMR which would be nice when I finally learn how to shoot good with it.

What says the hivemind?
The Bladetech is inexpensive but it works. Been using mine since I first started comp shooting almost 8 years ago.

If you want an offset holster, I use this one for USPSA

Most of the nerds I larp and train with have some sort of belt setup for classes. You’ll eventually end up in the tactical Zoolander thread where we all troll each other and pretend we are badass and not poor.

I like the RTI mount system as I can swap holsters out easy.

955B9325-5D53-403E-83DD-50F34FE841E3.jpeg

If you’re going for a duty style holster then safariland, Blackhawk and US Gear come to mind.

Just a friction type holster. T Rex Arms, LAS Concealment.

All but Blackhawk use the safariland QLS system which makes changing holsters on your belt a breeze.

Most of the nerds I larp and train with have some sort of belt setup for classes. You’ll eventually end up in the tactical Zoolander thread where we all troll each other and pretend we are badass and not poor.

I like the RTI mount system as I can swap holsters out easy.

View attachment 690719
“Tactical Zoolander” 😂😂😂😂 LUV IT!!!

Back
Top Bottom