Holster Recommendations IDPA

Lopro

NES Member
Just wondering if any of you had an recommendations for holster , I was thinking of either of a Black Hawk CQC Serpa Holster or a Fobus Roto belt Holster . Second question which is better a belt holster or paddle ? Or is it all up to personal preference, trying not to waste money on what does not work. Thanks

Last edited:
I personally do not have experience with either of the holsters that you listed.

For IDPA, I currently use a TKW holster, however they are nearly impossible to get. Previously I used a comp-tac when I shot my M&P.
I also use a holster made by Ready Tactical for USPSA. They are also of great quality and they do make an IDPA-legal model. I also like the Ready Tactical mag pouches the best of all I've tried.

ReadyTac products can be purchased thru www.cpwsa.com

I generally prefer a belt holster as I think it is much more stable on the draw.

Steve

I personally do not have experience with either of the holsters that you listed.

For IDPA, I currently use a TKW holster, however they are nearly impossible to get. Previously I used a comp-tac when I shot my M&P.
I also use a holster made by Ready Tactical for USPSA. They are also of great quality and they do make an IDPA-legal model. I also like the Ready Tactical mag pouches the best of all I've tried.

ReadyTac products can be purchased thru www.cpwsa.com

I generally prefer a belt holster as I think it is much more stable on the draw.

Steve

Exactly.

You have to be very careful to make sure that the holster meets the IDPA requirements.

Go to the IDPA website and look at the rulebook. Basically among other requirements, the holster has to sit very close to the body. There is a daylight rule, in other words, if when standing, you can see any daylight between your holster and body, it does not conform.

In the past, it has been questionable whether Fobus meets this requirement. Holsters meeting IDPA requirements are Comp-Tac and Blade-tech, which are by far the most common used for IDPA.

IDPA used to issue a list of conforming holsters and then they stopped issuing a list. There is a new rulebook due out soon, so I don't know what may be new regarding holsters.

For holsters, I like the G-Code:

g_1911

g_code_belt_sideshot.jpg

or the Blade-Tech Stingray:

d_426.jpg

Personally, I think the G-Code is a steal at $45.

Paddle holsters are a compromise between stability and easy-on/easy-off. Since easy-on/easy-off has no virtue in IDPA, I can't think of why you'd accept the compromises inherent in paddle holsters. If I just had to have easy-on/easy-off in IDPA, about the only compromise I'd accept is Blade-Tech's TEK-LOK system. I occasionally use a mag pouch with a TEK-LOK retainer.

d_28.jpg

Best of luck.

Thanks for the help will do a little reseach with that info appreciate it.
I really liked the G Code but they don't seem to have one for a M&P 40 will have to keep looking.

Last edited:
While researching, Look at Talon Tactical Mike is a 4 division IDPA Master since the early days of IDPA. His product is excellent, his service is top notch, and his prices are fair. I have used his Kydex for all types of firearms and been very happy.

Oh... and if you do get hooked into this sport... get a big plastic box. It's a good place to store all your spare holsters, pouches, etc. Trust me... whatever you pick... you will get more.

I am already getting that feeling Lugnut and I haven't even gone to one match yet lol .

Talon Tactical Mike had one called a A10 for $ 50 dollars that doesn't seem bad at all thanks Round Gun Shooter , I was going to get a Blade-Tech SRB Belt Holster from Midway but they are back ordered, so many things to buy what a great sport.

I just started IDPA last summer. I used a Fobus Paddle holster with two different guns. They served my purposes well and were only $17 dollars each on ebay. I'd suggest picking up a Fobus cheap and using it to get started then if you feel the need for a better holster later you can get one.

Comp-Tac all the way. I have two of their straight drop belt holsters and love them. I've also heard good things about blade-tech but haven't used them myself. They have a new model out for the M&Ps only that only $30. It's supposedly a new manufacturing process that's more durable than other companies inexpensive injection molded holsters. A friend of mine picked one up recently, I'll let you know how it works for her.

I just moved in from out of state with a Springfield XD45 that came with an IDPA kit: plastic holster and dual mag carrier. In a month or 2 when move-related duties lighten up I plan on trying IDPA. Am I good-to-go for a newbie, or will I get laughed off the range with the Springfield holster?

As long as it's safe (retains the gun and completely covers the trigger), it's fine for your first match. We'd never turn you away from your first match for non safety related holster issues. If they sell it as an "IDPA kit", it should meet the rules, so you should be able to use it for a while.

I think the new one is the Blade Teck Stingray ? Which is backordered On Midway I have a discount there because of my C&R license .
The Fobus Belt Holster was questionable in IDPA I thought ? [thinking]

Really appreciate all the help this really is a great site [grin]

Last edited:
Am I good-to-go for a newbie, or will I get laughed off the range with the Springfield holster?
USPSA and IDPA shooters are very kind to new shooters. The ridicule you see in these pages or on the range is normally reserved for established shooters and friends.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Comp-Tac all the way. I have two of their straight drop belt holsters and love them. I've also heard good things about blade-tech but haven't used them myself. They have a new model out for the M&Ps only that only $30. It's supposedly a new manufacturing process that's more durable than other companies inexpensive injection molded holsters. A friend of mine picked one up recently, I'll let you know how it works for her.

Jar I did find that holster you were talking about from Blade Teck and ordered it $ 29.95 will pass along if it is any good, picked up a Comp-Tac Belt Holster also it was on sale at Midway .

Attachments

• d_340.jpg
    d_340.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Blade teck.jpg
    Blade teck.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom