• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holo sight magnifier

I’ve not used the UTG, but I do have the Mepro MX3T teamed up with the Mepro RDS on my X95 Tavor (might as well keep it an all Israeli operation). I also have a couple of Vortex VMX-3Ts that are teamed with a Vortex Strikefire, a Vortex Razor AMG UH-1 and an EOTECH. I find they do wonders for my old eyes. They make the red dots usable for me out to 200 yards, without them I’m hard pressed at 100. They actually make the holo’s look like they do in the pictures instead of the slightly pixelated look when using them unmagnified.

I’ve a UTG Bug Buster 3-9x32 scope that, for the price, I’m more than happy with.

You do have to make sure that the red dot will work with a magnifier. Some of them use prisms and other things that prevent them from working with a magnifier.

I have both an EOTech and Vortex magnifiers and they are useful. I have them mated to a sight of the same brand on different rifles and it makes range time more fun because these old eyes can see what I’m hitting. Just like cathouse01 above.

I do like my Vortex Spitfire 3x better than having an RDS with a magnifier. I’m on the lookout for a Steiner M332 7.62 for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

garbage
save your $55 and put it towards a reputable manufacturer and quality mount

garbage
save your $55 and put it towards a reputable manufacturer and quality mount
I have no doubt there are better brands than UTG, and no problem paying for quality. Just curious as to whether or not the concept is valid.

As @citoriguy and @cathouse01 mentioned having done, I think keeping a magnifier and holo or red dot by the same manufacturer is a good idea, and I never considered compatability based on design.

I like the idea of holo/red dots for under 50 yards, but past that I need more than 1x.

Last edited:
I have one and it certainly works as advertised. What I will caution you about is height. Make sure the center height when mounted matches the holo's height. I highly recommend buying a set. When they are sold as a holo/magnifier pair you know the height will be the same. I have a sightmark holo and a sightmark mag. I bought them separately and the height is off by just enough that I don't bother to keep it mounted. The difference is so slight that even the thinnest mount I could put under the holo would just reverse the problem. If I were a little less OCD I could deal with it. Maybe it wouldn't be a deal breaker for you but if I bought again I would buy a matched set.

Well worth it if you get something decent. I think we’re close in age and my eyes are quickly getting worse as well. I have other Aimpoint RDS’s and sure they’re great but they’re expensive AF too.

Couple years ago I researched the Sig set ups and ended up buying a Sig Romeo5 and Sig Juliet4 (4x) for one of my rifles (total paid about 400.00 for both) and I’ve been very happy with them. The lock up is tight on the fold over magnifier and the view is crystal clear, the 4x brings me in nicely. Haven’t had any issues with them to date and am probably going to buy another set here soon for another rifle.

I have no doubt there are better brands than UTG, and no problem paying for quality. Just curious as to whether or not the concept is valid.

As @citoriguy and @cathouse01 mentioned having done, I think keeping a magnifier and holo or red dot by the same manufacturer is a good idea, and I never considered compatability based on design.

I like the idea of holo/red dots for under 50 yards, but past that I need more than 1x.

the optics of a magnifier are so simple that they're less the issue
in a magnifier i'm mostly looking at 1) mount quality/compatibility, and 2) weight
most cheap magnifiers require the mount to be replaced, bringing the cost up substantially
with the exception of my Eotech G33, i only use the ADM mounts

Back
Top Bottom